You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Someone on here gave the “I told you so” after the palace game yet still had him in his fantasy team ….. he’s a piss boiler this Nunez. I love him 

Will you still love him when he has more red cards than league goals by the time of the world cup break?

He's this years Andy Carroll, overrated, overpriced and unfortunately over here!

• Downvote 2

6 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Really want this fella to do well for no other reason than he seems motivated to be a good player for us, obviously gives his all on the pitch and he’s the clubs new leading striker. 

But in all honesty, that is based more in hope than expectation. Half because of him as a player and half because I don’t understand why we have signed a player like this. 

I think can be a handful and has flashes of brilliance but I’m alarmed at how many shots he just completely miss hits. For somebody who is supposed to be a deadly striker, he scuffs a shit ton of shots. His build up play is pretty poor and he hasn’t really shown an ability to run with the ball with any conviction or deft. I’d be okay with that if I’d seen him just fucking lamp a few on a target now and then, so hopefully that’s just something that will come. 

But I caveat all of the above with the fact that the guy has had the shittest fucking service possible. How the fuck have we spent 65-95m on a player with seemingly no plan on how to get the best of him? What the fuck are these constant low percentage Hail Mary hoofs up to him from defense? What the fuck  is he meant to do with that? Why are Mo and Diaz being played on different sides of the hemisphere to him? He has no midfield runners either. It’s like we want him to cause chaos and then capitalize on his own chaos, it makes no fucking sense. Klopp needs to figure this out. Maybe Lijnders can write another fucking book laying out some of these tactics too. 

It’s very unlikely Darwin will be a Suarez, Torres or even a Sturridge for us in terms of quality, I just don’t see him having that ceiling (but hope to be wrong). I hope he can at least be a Jota though in terms of effectiveness. That said, it’s an indictment on our recruitment that we have spent so much on a striker who is still so raw and who we don’t seem to have a concrete plan to integrate. It smacks of Andy Carrol - not because of Darwin’s quality, but because of how different he is to our overall historic patterns of play under Klopp. I’ll support him and scream like he’s my son every time he scores but I’m not going to pretend I don’t have a shit load of doubts about this transfer.

Why do I get the feeling you hit the keyboard really hard when you type out your messages

It’s the internet/social media age.  If someone isn’t fucking amazing straight away they get written off.  

Would hate to see the reaction players like Beardsley would’ve received in the 80’s had the web been around.   

• Upvote 1

Utterly amazed to read this thread and what's been posted here over the past few days.

He has 15 shots in 180 minutes of football! He's completely different from the other players we've had in that position recently, as he's basically a black hole when it comes to passing, but what he does offer is just so, so valuable for our team. I have no doubt that we can figure it out, work on blending him with Salah better, etc, but he will come good for sure.

The problem in our team right now is that the midfield is just not working. Has nothing to do with Darwin.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

It’s the internet/social media age.  If someone isn’t fucking amazing straight away they get written off.  

Would hate to see the reaction players like Beardsley would’ve received in the 80’s had the web been around.   

Did Beardsley get sent off for violent conduct in his first start for us?

So far as I can see nobody has written him off. Unfortunately some people see everything in such polarised terms that if you're not sucking Darwin's dick after 5 minutes, it means you hate him and want him to die.

• Downvote 4

On 17/08/2022 at 00:07, Supremolad said:

I am one of those who voted no to signing Nunez. Thought he was too raw and we could have tried to find a better fit with a player like Nkunku. Alternatively, I felt we could just have kept Origi if a tall, strong finisher upfront was what we needed for certain games.

However, I have seen bits and pieces which suggest Nunez can work long term for us if he develops rightly. Part of that development would need him to be calmer in certain situations. Klopp"s track record suggests we'll get the best out of him if Nunez himself shows the right attitude to learning

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing I honestly don't understand is he's making things happen. He looks a threat. Sure there's times he looks ungraceful too. But imagine how dangerous he might be once he's relaxed and his team mates know how to use him. His first season in Portugal was slow, so there's every chance he'll have teething problems here. People talk about him like we were expecting a prime Madonna. 

Yep. If it wasnt for Pickford's fingertips he'd have scored a worldie yesterday and after 3 or 4 games he's already been written off. Absolute nonsense. If a manager who has won everything for us on a miniscule budget thinks he's good enough then that is good enough for me.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The people on here who are voraciously defending him are making me dislike him. There's a big overcorrection there that is quite annoying. 

I agree with this. Like, it’s not a hard concept to grasp.  We all want him to do well because he’s our star signing and new striker but we have doubts about how he integrates stylistically.

Who the fuck is writing him off? Calm down. 

34 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I agree with this. Like, it’s not a hard concept to grasp.  We all want him to do well because he’s our star signing and new striker but we have doubts about how he integrates stylistically.

Who the fuck is writing him off? Calm down. 

It's honestly as I already mentioned. Some are incapable of seeing shades of grey. It's depressing as hell. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, I'm sure he's reading this and loving your contributions as well.

He'll have barely noticed. He'll be just wondering who the whopper is who lets his opinions of players get changed because someone on the internet defends them. You sound like my 11 year old you fucking big tart. 

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If we got Tchouameni I dont think we would of went for Darwin. So I'm not sure of our logic. I'm not worried about Nunez.

This is what I can’t get my head around. We’ve had major problems with our midfield for a couple of years and we’re prepared to go big to solve it this year and next. Our main target turns us down before the window even opens and we go balls deep on a position that we could have lived with instead while still leaving the major problem that needs addressing.

Im starting to think our much vaunted scouting system isn’t worth shit.