You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) - Thu 16th Dec 2021 (8:00pm)

Trumo

8 hours ago, deiseach said:

Was it just me or were they timewasting...when they were losing?

Burnley do the same tactic if they are losing by just the one goal they keep playing slow & negative and try and get the game to the last 10 Mins then have a go. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Burnley do the same tactic if they are losing by just the one goal they keep playing slow & negative and try and get the game to the last 10 Mins then have a go.

I was thinking that, but decided it couldn't be right because it's batshit crazy. You live and learn.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anubis said:

Their forums were already half-joking that Dean was from the Wirral and would be biased. Imagine the conspiracy crying now.

I have not checked the whole thread so might have already been mentioned but I seen a clip last night of Andy Gray and the no-necked lint roller and they kept joking about Mike Dean and his "supporting of Tranmere", obviously insinuating some regional bias, going on about the "head injury" and the play should have been stopped etc, etc.

Fucking pair of whoppers, do they also joke about Anthony Taylor getting Manchester games? Yeah, thought not, pricks.

45 minutes ago, deiseach said:

I was thinking that, but decided it couldn't be right because it's batshit crazy. You live and learn.

Eddie Howe is a cunt and will be sacked in the summer should Newcastle somehow avoid relegation.  Either way he's on borrowed time there. 

• Upvote 1

Picture the scenario, we draw Brargenchilean side Panpipe FC in the WCC they have a corner easily caught by Alisson it begins. Alisson throws a long ball out to Mo Salah on the halfway line where he is one on one with veteran Bolivian Slowpoke Gonzales and within a few yards he is bearing down on goal, Peruvian keeper Arlarsio sensing the danger ‘ accidentally ‘ punches himself in the head and the game is stopped for a head injury.

I would've given a penalty for the Ox push and, in fairness, I would've also given a pen for Trent's tackle on Fraser (before I saw the replay) because it looked like he got the man and not the ball.

The first goal was fair game. The two of them faked an injury, hence the miraculous recovery midway through the play. If Hayden was really injured he would've been subbed off. Mike Dean had a good game with the exception of the Ox pen.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

If you're going to fake a head injury, lie still.

It seems to be increasing in frequency. I reckon it’s something VAR could be put to good use on - check those stoppages, and if a player has gone down clutching his head without contact to the area, book the player in question and award a penalty to the attacking team.

10 hours ago, deiseach said:

Was it just me or were they timewasting...when they were losing?

Goal difference. It might come down to it on the final day. Considering up until recently we were scoring 3/4 home any away, a 1 goal deficit against us wouldn't be too bad if they can count on Norwich getting fucked  by 5

Our first goal was comical because any damage done to the Newcastle players(no head injuries of course) were done by each other. Even more miraculous was them holding their legs despite claiming a head injury. Mike Dean did well regarding this fake injury lark and I'd like to see it continue. I doubt it will but hope it does.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Our first goal was comical because any damage done to the Newcastle players(no head injuries of course) were done by each other. Even more miraculous was them holding their legs despite claiming a head injury. Mike Dean did well regarding this fake injury lark and I'd like to see it continue. I doubt it will but hope it does.

It might make teams think twice about taking their players out of the game.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If a player hits the deck clutching his head, I think the referee should do exactly what Dean did: unless there's something obvious, then give it a couple of seconds to see whether the ball goes out of play or ends up in the keeper's hands. You then have a natural break for any treatment that's needed, without encouraging cheats to feign injury.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

If a player hits the deck clutching his head, I think the referee should do exactly what Dean did: unless there's something obvious, then give it a couple of seconds to see whether the ball goes out of play or ends up in the keeper's hands. You then have a natural break for any treatment that's needed, without encouraging cheats to feign injury.

Said the exact same thing - I'm generally in favour of head injuries being an instantaneous stop of the game (football has been too lax on concussion for too long) but inevitably you've already got players and teams gaming the system. Dean did the right thing I reckon - unless he's obviously poleaxed, wait for the next break in play and ask another official whether there was a clash of heads.

It's only a quandary if a goal is the next break, but if there weren't any heads involved then you'd never have had to have stopped the game so there's no issue. If you find out there was, you can just tell the opposition captain that you'd have stopped play but didn't know at the time - ball's in his court if he wants to do something sporting afterwards. A bit messy but worth it as it would discourage the kind of dickheadry we saw from Hayden and co last night.