You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you think we should sell Keita?

Kevin D

Well?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Been underwhelming but still relatively young and I would like to see him in a decent run of games before writing him off completely.

If the question was couched in terms that we needed money for him to get another CB or whatever I might have a different opinion but am always a bit baffled when fans are desperate to reduce the options in the squad for no benefit.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

As I said, Rodgers was an idiot re: transfers.

Hendo had played more than 100 games for us in the same amount of time Naby has been here. He wasn't Gerrard, but only internet spastics expected him to be, especially at 23. 

Do you honestly think if Liverpool had sold Henderson in the early years that it would have been that big a deal? Looking forward, not looking back. 

34 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Rodgers told Henderson he was free to leave Liverpool if he chose to. Hardly the mark of a player hitting the heights. He did struggle the early seasons, especially when Gerrard played. There are some great players ahead of Keita but that won't always be the case, especially if Gini and/or Millie leave. He has good performances in him, personally I'd rather see them fulfilled here than somewhere else.

It's generally much harder to establish yourself in this Liverpool team than when Henderson joined the club. And Henderson to his credit, showed a burning desire to succeed here that I suspect Keita won't. He's running out of time.

Or maybe not, but I hope he is, because we're at the top, and we simply can't afford to carry too many passengers in the squad anymore. He needs to show he's up to it now. 

Probably wont get more than £25m for him. If any Italian clubs want him they will just want him on loan for 5 years and pay us with a crate of Peroni. 

Need a younger and more durable player as Chamberlain barely plays, Milner is near the end of his career, Wijnaldum will possibly leave and Henderson is 30. 

9 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Do you honestly think if Liverpool had sold Henderson in the early years that it would have been that big a deal? Looking forward, not looking back. 

Well you are really only talking about after the first season, by the end of his second season he was Tremenderson and it was never considered again.

I think if Rodgers had sold him and bought Dempsey it would have been a massive failure and would be looked upon as such. It was literally the first thought that came into Rodgers head a few weeks after he was hired. We wouldn't have gone out and got Sturridge that winter if it had happened.

Dempsey went to Spurs, scored a couple good golas, then fucked off to the MLS the next year.

We would have lost about 10 mil doing the deal.

It would rightly have been looked upon then as a terrible piece of business to make that trade off just based on age/wages etc.

The outcome and hindsight makes it look hilarious.

41 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's generally much harder to establish yourself in this Liverpool team than when Henderson joined the club.

Agreed, but Klopp has given Keita every opportunity on less merit.

That first Rodgers season he was both clueless and couldn't wait to get the Welsh Xavi in the side. Stevie played every game. We were also playing a 4 - Downing was in most of the time - and it was the year Sterling came through. Shelvey played a bit as well.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well you are really only talking about after the first season, by the end of his second season he was Tremenderson and it was never considered again.

I think if Rodgers had sold him and bought Dempsey it would have been a massive failure and would be looked upon as such. It was literally the first thought that came into Rodgers head a few weeks after he was hired. We wouldn't have gone out and got Sturridge that winter if it had happened.

Dempsey went to Spurs, scored a couple good golas, then fucked off to the MLS the next year.

We would have lost about 10 mil doing the deal.

It would rightly have been looked upon then as a terrible piece of business to make that trade off just based on age/wages etc.

The outcome and hindsight makes it look hilarious.

That's the whole point. What if Keita goes on to captain his club to league and European titles? It will be looked on as an inspired piece of business to keep him. Hindsight is looking backwards. That's no way to judge a player whose career is ahead of him. Keita is 25 years of age, his prime years are ahead of him.

Henderson had fantastic games in him but he also had some stinkers too. His biggest problem in the early years was passing the ball back to defenders, which suggested he struggled with confidence in taking responsibility for his decisions. He's put that right massively.

No point comparing Henderson with Keita. Henderson is/was always determined to give his best even if he sometimes wasn't good enough. He played under Rodgers while Keita is getting his chances under Klopp. If he can't improve under Klopp over 2.5-3 seasons, nobody else is going to get a better tune of Naby.

• Upvote 2

As is being said ealier on this page, the desire to get rid of players is a bit of a conundrum. I've been guilty of it myself throughout my supporting of our great club.

I just don't see it any more with this team and manager. I'm not too thrilled when I see Origi's name in the starting lineup, but if he's starting it means one of our four world class forwards need a breather. The same goes for midfield whenever Keita, Milner or Minamino starts there. All have considerable flaws when compared with Gini, Fab and the late 20s version of Hendo. We still need them though, even if I'm as excited as anyone to see more of Curtis.

It's a bit of a worry that we've been hit as hard as we have with injuries this season. Hopefully that speaks as much to this freakish seaon as it does to the players (even Milner has been down for a while!)

Regarding Keita, I still think he brings something different to our other midfield options, but he needs successive games to prove that. You can't underestimate what match fitness does to a player's confidence and sharpness. If he doesn't trust his body fully, then he'll continue to be perceived not physical enough for the PL. I'll stick my head out and say he's going to be an important player for us in the coming years.

Ps. If it was a straight choice between Gini and Naby, I would of course go with Gini.

• Upvote 1

I don't really care one way or the other,  if we can park the expectation piece and accept he's not half Iniesta half Kante then he is a fine backup midfield player. I think the problem is most haven't moved on from who they thought was arriving, if we still want a game changer then he's not it.

Gini is as good as gone, we need to accept that. Milner is probably 6 months from the end too. In that context selling Naby makes no sense, he understands our system and is as good as any 4th or 5th midfielder. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

At the time more fans would have questioned swapping Henderson for Dempsey than selling Keita now imo. Thats not hindsight.

Selling Keita and then?

If can stay fit from now until the end of the season and make a contribution every game then keep him. If it’s 2 games in and 4 weeks out again I’d cut our losses. 

Going back to Hendo, he only really became the player he is now when Fabinho got injured last season. Up till then he wasn’t a guaranteed starter.