You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

10 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Read what I said. I said that they'd voted for a party who couldn't give a shit about them or their lives. Their vote was a means to a Brexit end, and that's it. I said fuck all about intelligence.

I stand corrected. In my defence I was very very drunk at the time

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

When you have a political system and media environment that rewards lying, misrepresentation and duplicity - people being uninformed is a symptom.

If teachers, social workers or police officers consistently behaved like MPs they would face disciplinary action. 

Yeah that's true as well. In fairness to a few of these red wall voters they're facing a full blown propaganda machine. I still seriously question anyone who makes decisions based on such simplistic shite though and doesn't stop to think what impact it'll have on them.

A Red was similarly unimpressed with something I said about Blackpool voters a couple of years back I seem to remember. How's that worked out for them? One of the MPs is suspended isn't he I think for soliciting some sort of cash for access, meanwhile the beach is swimming in effluent.

Heavens, who could have possibly predicted such a turn of events. Erm, everyone.

3 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Have you ever been to Bolton or Bradford?

The intelligent ones get out. 

And about 30% of people from Bradford are of West Asian background, a demographic that doesn't tend to vote Tory.

Because they know they're a gang of hateful, racist cunts.

It's a bit of a generalistion to call anyone in the red wall that supported Johnson as PM, 'thick'. Politically ignorant, I would say, but then that goes for the majority of the electorate across the spectrum. Which is why parties and politicians use trite soundbites and slogans, and why they say things that the more politically astute among us roll our eyes at. It's not us, the political nerds, they need to win over come an election, it's the millions of people who get on with whatever lives they have and don't soak up the news, Question Time, or the thoughts of various political pundits on social media throughout the electoral cycle.

And it's not hard to see why so many were attracted to Johnson when he, cynically of course, went out of his way to appeal to them, with his levelling up bollocks when the rest of us had dismissed them as thick and lazy and not worthy of our attention. They were also overwhelmingly Brexit supporters, and he appealed to them on that level too. Were they thick to think he had a better chance of delivering Brexit than the opposition in 2019? Or perhaps they were thick to want Brexit in the first place? Thick to want anything that we don't? Because we're just right and that's the end of it?

It's also worth noting that, like it or not, they do have votes, enough to swing elections, and they were, for the most part, traditionally Labour voters. Not the type of overtly liberal and globalist Labour voter that came to prominence under Corbyn, but the more socially conservative voter that believes in the state and the community and a better deal for the British working class - all things that used to attract them to Labour, and all things that, not surprisingly, Johnson appealed to them with in different ways. 

I'm no fan of Starmer, despite what some on here might think (I'm a long-time supporter of Labour, including under Corbyn), but I can understand why he's going after these voters. And why not? Their votes form an important element of any Labour election victory, and they've been voting Labour for longer than Annabelle and Tristian, fresh out of Warminster, who were dabbling in radical proto-Marxist theory at college, and then heard Corbyn calling for Nato to disband and expressing support for Hugo Chavez and got on board. And I can see how, in appealing to the former, he's alienating the latter, who can't get their heads around the wants of the politically inactive British working class at all, much less empathise with them.

Also, @Section_31, I don't understand why you would say "If you vote Republican in the states because your folks did, or you like guns" then fair enough, you're not thick. Surely voting in a certain way just because your parents did is the epitome of thick. And couldn't someone argue that believing in guns given the evidence of destruction they've caused in the States is thick?

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah that's true as well. In fairness to a few of these red wall voters they're facing a full blown propaganda machine. I still seriously question anyone who makes decisions based on such simplistic shite though and doesn't stop to think what impact it'll have on them.

A Red was similarly unimpressed with something I said about Blackpool voters a couple of years back I seem to remember. How's that worked out for them? One of the MPs is suspended isn't he I think for soliciting some sort of cash for access, meanwhile the beach is swimming in effluent.

Heavens, who could have possibly predicted such a turn of events. Erm, everyone.

Brexit I understand far more than voting Tory in these areas. They were sold a lot of bullshit, but they were tempted because they basically hadn't seen (in their eyes anyway) enough impact with their vote in general elections. They felt, rightly so to some degree, ignored by an increasingly centralised, London centric, technocratic Labour party. Then Corbyn changed things but his social policies in these areas were about as popular as a dog shit sandwich. So Brexit was a chance to annoy the type of people they felt were benefiting from society.

Voting Tory however...well that one they had over 200 years of evidence to demonstrate that it would be a terrible idea. So working class people from northern towns, in my cases, can by accurately be described as thick as mince. However, the Johnson persona appealled to many, and it was the Liberal "luvvy" centrist media class which helped to built that. And they have flat refused to admit any blame since.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think you said something about stopping their benefits or something for voting tory. I might be wrong. Doesn't matter, I'm over it now.

I just get annoyed at the arrogance of calling people thick for voting one way when you need them to vote your way. Whole swathes of people are written off as stupid when in reality, in many ways, they may be more intelligent and doing better than you. Its also divisive. 

Anyway, it doesn't matter as luckily you are not in charge of selling the labour party to the electorate.

15 minutes ago, A Red said:

I think you said something about stopping their benefits or something for voting tory. I might be wrong. Doesn't matter, I'm over it now.

I just get annoyed at the arrogance of calling people thick for voting one way when you need them to vote your way. Whole swathes of people are written off as stupid when in reality, in many ways, they may be more intelligent and doing better than you. Its also divisive. 

Anyway, it doesn't matter as luckily you are not in charge of selling the labour party to the electorate.

As I've said in previous posts though, in my opinion it's a fallacy to say there's always two sides to everything. That's what has led us where we are.

The idea that you could say, have a debate on the moon landings and have Buzz Aldrin on one side, and for the sake of "balance," have someone on the other team who's done a podcast claiming they were filmed in lanzarote. That's not differing opinions, one is lies and if someone gives it any credence, I'll call them thick.

I don't think people who vote tory are thick, or people who vote Brexit. I don't think northerners who vote tory are thick, I do think people from poor areas who vote for people like Johnson and Trump, given the wealth of evidence that's they're going to suffered as a consequence, are thick.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I was listening to a New Statesman Podacast yesterday titled Can Wes Streeting save the NHS? 

I just kept laughing through it hoping Gnasher was listening too. 

I missed it sorry. I hope he can save the NHS, although he's not my favourite politican to be honest 

20 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I missed it sorry. I hope he can save the NHS, although he's not my favourite politican to be honest 

Lots of political speak about needing reform not just money, not much money around, utilising the private sector etc. 

But actually some good stuff in there too. Recognising the fact we match most advanced countries for a Ute spending but are almost last for preventative spending and they s needs to be addressed. 

Healthy breakfast clubs for all pupils, more spending on physical activity, more access for children to culture and the one I really liked was mental health support services in every secondary school in the country. 

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Lots of political speak about needing reform not just money, not much money around, utilising the private sector etc. 

But actually some good stuff in there too. Recognising the fact we match most advanced countries for a Ute spending but are almost last for preventative spending and they s needs to be addressed. 

Healthy breakfast clubs for all pupils, more spending on physical activity, more access for children to culture and the one I really liked was mental health support services in every se o dart school in the country. 

Yeah sounds like some good stuff there. Especially the breakfast clubs for kids and as you say the help concerning mental health.

2 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

It's a bit of a generalistion to call anyone in the red wall that supported Johnson as PM, 'thick'. Politically ignorant, I would say, but then that goes for the majority of the electorate across the spectrum. Which is why parties and politicians use trite soundbites and slogans, and why they say things that the more politically astute among us roll our eyes at. It's not us, the political nerds, they need to win over come an election, it's the millions of people who get on with whatever lives they have and don't soak up the news, Question Time, or the thoughts of various political pundits on social media throughout the electoral cycle.

And it's not hard to see why so many were attracted to Johnson when he, cynically of course, went out of his way to appeal to them, with his levelling up bollocks when the rest of us had dismissed them as thick and lazy and not worthy of our attention. They were also overwhelmingly Brexit supporters, and he appealed to them on that level too. Were they thick to think he had a better chance of delivering Brexit than the opposition in 2019? Or perhaps they were thick to want Brexit in the first place? Thick to want anything that we don't? Because we're just right and that's the end of it?

It's also worth noting that, like it or not, they do have votes, enough to swing elections, and they were, for the most part, traditionally Labour voters. Not the type of overtly liberal and globalist Labour voter that came to prominence under Corbyn, but the more socially conservative voter that believes in the state and the community and a better deal for the British working class - all things that used to attract them to Labour, and all things that, not surprisingly, Johnson appealed to them with in different ways. 

I'm no fan of Starmer, despite what some on here might think (I'm a long-time supporter of Labour, including under Corbyn), but I can understand why he's going after these voters. And why not? Their votes form an important element of any Labour election victory, and they've been voting Labour for longer than Annabelle and Tristian, fresh out of Warminster, who were dabbling in radical proto-Marxist theory at college, and then heard Corbyn calling for Nato to disband and expressing support for Hugo Chavez and got on board. And I can see how, in appealing to the former, he's alienating the latter, who can't get their heads around the wants of the politically inactive British working class at all, much less empathise with them.

Also, @Section_31, I don't understand why you would say "If you vote Republican in the states because your folks did, or you like guns" then fair enough, you're not thick. Surely voting in a certain way just because your parents did is the epitome of thick. And couldn't someone argue that believing in guns given the evidence of destruction they've caused in the States is thick?

If you were a normal working class voter in the North I, 2019,and you genuinely thought boris johnson had your best interests at heart,and believed a word he said,I'd suggest you either weren't paying attention or had a very short memory,considering the damage both Thatcher and austerity had done. 

However even giving them a pass for them,didn't plenty of them still vote for him In the locals?

On 01/07/2023 at 16:50, Denny Crane said:

The strictest head teacher is calling for Jess Phillips to be disciplined for racism and bullying and accuses her of breaking the nolan principles of leadership and has submitted a formal complaint. Karen has the manager called on her in a twist I didn’t see coming.

Mrs Birbalsingh also references black Labour MPs losing faith with the current leaderships ability to tackle racism within the Labour Party. Mrs Birbalsingh is batshit but I could defo see her not letting this drop and certain parts of the media deciding to notice certain things they have overlooked. 

Looks as though (not unsurprisingly) that Kath has included some dubious claims.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Looks as though (not unsurprisingly) that Kath has included some dubious claims.

Can't stand Phillips but she's in the right here. That headteachers making a fool of herself. Plus it was not so long ago she was sharing a stage with some of the most unsavoury characters in Britain.

I guess it depends what her aims are, she got a few important outlets to cover the topic. If I was Jess Phillips I would be horrified to see headlines from the BBC, Sky and a colleague asked if I was a racist and a bully. I mean people said Rachel Riley was making a fool of herself but has been awarded an MBE for combatting antisemitism. 

Is this just an angry woman riding solo or will others follow. A certain Suella Braverman was a governor at her school. 

F0-Gm4ou-Ww-AEt-CMW.jpg

Andrew sleazy fat horrible tory bastard Neil throwing his not inconsiderable jelly body behind it. Fucking poor mans Alan Brazil troll looking cunt. Him and that goblin looking concrete shagger Mike Graham should have an ugly off in-front of a mirror each in a cage match. Pair of rolled up facist cunts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Andrew sleazy fat horrible tory bastard Neil throwing his not inconsiderable jelly body behind it. Fucking poor mans Alan Brazil troll looking cunt. Him and that goblin looking concrete shagger Mike Graham should have an ugly off in-front of a mirror each in a cage match. Pair of rolled up facist cunts. 

Sorry but if you disregard his politics Andrew Neil is a clever fella and is a superb interviewer of politicians. He's far removed from Mike Graham.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Sorry but if you disregard his politics Andrew Neil is a clever fella and is a superb interviewer of politicians. He's far removed from Mike Graham.

He's a sleazy horrible cunt. 

• Like 1