You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

he's been like that throughout his career though hasn't he? he's been playing 1st team football for 10 years and hasn't managed 250 games yet - and a large slice of his appearances must be subs. there's no reason to suspect he is suddenly going to become a 50 game per season player. 

I don’t know but he could find it hard to get back up the pecking order regardless.

• Upvote 1

Delle Alli would be a great money ball type signing. His form has fallen off a cliff, lost his England place, he has a manager that hates him and has chosen him as the fall guy. Throw 40m at Jose and he will gladly replace him with Jan Koller. Meanwhile Klopp shows him some love and moulds him into to Bobby's replacement for then next 5 years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, No2 said:

Delle Alli would be a great money ball type signing. His form has fallen off a cliff, lost his England place, he has a manager that hates him and has chosen him as the fall guy. Throw 40m at Jose and he will gladly replace him with Jan Koller. Meanwhile Klopp shows him some love and moulds him into to Bobby's replacement for then next 5 years.

How come he’s fallen off so fast so much ?

Just now, No2 said:

I thought that when they subbed him early Yesterday though they'd want more than that and he's been so poor he just isn't worth the money.

11 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

No idea but having Jose as your manager is going to help. Mane, Salah and Bobby would all be benched within weeks. Probably only Robertson and Fabinho would survive the cull.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arnaud said:

Alli strikes me as a player who needs are arm around him rather than a bollocking when things go wrong. Mourinho doesnt strike me as the type of manager to put his arm around any player.

Im sure Jurgen would get him playing at his very best. Sadly, the only time Alli will play at Anfield is as an oppo player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No2 said:

No idea but having Jose as your manager is going to help. Mane, Salah and Bobby would all be benched within weeks. Probably only Robertson and Fabinho would survive the cull.

His form dropped off way before mourinho rocked up. In fact he had a short lived improvement when mourinho 1st arrived. For me he's been off the pace for 2 years. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

If he doesn't like training then it's his attitude that's the problem.

from inews ....

Alli frustrates Mourinho with his ‘lazy’ attitude to training

In their first day training together, Mourinho approaches Dele Alli and tells him that he’s “f_____g lazy”. When Levy casually pops by Mourinho’s office at the end of day one, the manager tells the chairman: “I told already Dele very, very directly. He doesn’t train well.” In a squad meeting reviewing footage from a previous game where a pass goes astray, Mourinho asks “Where is Dele?” and the then tells him: “I understood already that you are a f_____g lazy guy in training… But lazy pass.” The tone is playful, yet the message is serious, about a player who Mourinho says Sir Alex Ferguson wanted him to sign for Manchester United.

Early in his tenure at Spurs, Mourinho spoke publicly about joking with Alli that he could not tell whether it was him or his brother who was playing for Spurs, because he had been out of form – but we see here that in reality the criticism was far sharper.

They then have a one-on-one meeting in Mourinho’s office, where the manager makes it clear that his verbal prodding is borne of admiration and a desire for him to improve. “I like you as a player and I like you also as a kid,” he tells Alli. “I have to tell you always what I think. Inside of you, maybe you tell me to f__k off, but I have to tell you exactly what I think.” Alli has become an enigma in the past two years, and again many Spurs fans would agree with what the manager has to say.

Jose Mourinho, Manager of Tottenham Hotspur embraces Dele Alli against West Ham United on 23 November 2019 (Getty Images)
Mourinho and Alli have an honest relationship, as portrayed in the documentary (Photo: Getty)

Mourinho explains: “I have no doubts about your potential. I saw you do incredible matches and incredible things, but I always felt that you had ups and downs.” He asks Alli to work out what is stopping him being a consistently great player, whether it a lifestyle as a “party boy” or any other factors, saying: “You should demand more from you.” He adds: “I think one day, I think you do regret if you do not reach what you can reach.”

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

from inews ....

In their first day training together, Mourinho approaches Dele Alli and tells him that he’s “f_____g lazy”. When Levy casually pops by Mourinho’s office at the end of day one, the manager tells the chairman: “I told already Dele very, very directly. He doesn’t train well.” In a squad meeting reviewing footage from a previous game where a pass goes astray, Mourinho asks “Where is Dele?” and the then tells him: “I understood already that you are a f_____g lazy guy in training… But lazy pass.” The tone is playful, yet the message is serious, about a player who Mourinho says Sir Alex Ferguson wanted him to sign for Manchester United.

Early in his tenure at Spurs, Mourinho spoke publicly about joking with Alli that he could not tell whether it was him or his brother who was playing for Spurs, because he had been out of form – but we see here that in reality the criticism was far sharper.

They then have a one-on-one meeting in Mourinho’s office, where the manager makes it clear that his verbal prodding is borne of admiration and a desire for him to improve. “I like you as a player and I like you also as a kid,” he tells Alli. “I have to tell you always what I think. Inside of you, maybe you tell me to f__k off, but I have to tell you exactly what I think.” Alli has become an enigma in the past two years, and again many Spurs fans would agree with what the manager has to say.

Jose Mourinho, Manager of Tottenham Hotspur embraces Dele Alli against West Ham United on 23 November 2019 (Getty Images)
Mourinho and Alli have an honest relationship, as portrayed in the documentary (Photo: Getty)

Mourinho explains: “I have no doubts about your potential. I saw you do incredible matches and incredible things, but I always felt that you had ups and downs.” He asks Alli to work out what is stopping him being a consistently great player, whether it a lifestyle as a “party boy” or any other factors, saying: “You should demand more from you.” He adds: “I think one day, I think you do regret if you do not reach what you can reach.”

Nothing more annoying to a fan than an attitude like that. He's living most blokes dream life, the least you can do is put the effort in for 10-15 years until you can retire in luxury for the next 50 years.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elite said:

Nothing more annoying to a fan than an attitude like that. He's living most blokes dream life, the least you can do is put the effort in for 10-15 years until you can retire in luxury for the next 50 years.

Yeah. It's why some limited players go down as almost legends at clubs, because as long as they give 100%, you can't ask for more. I actually think it's the defining feature of our team now. Klopp's ability to make them all work to the maximum all the time is incredible. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Alli definitely has some kind of attitude/professionalism problem. He was way better when he was 20 then he is now at 24 when he should be entering his prime. That shouldn't happen.

It shouldn't happen but the key to football is it's never only about talent, attitude is every bit as important. There's footballers everywhere that could have been more than they were if only they'd behave professionally. 

6 hours ago, Moo said:

So we're now stockpiling money, for Mbappe, that we don't have due to Covid. Where are we hiding it, in the wages column?

Maybe we're stuffing it in brown envelopes?

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

from inews ....

Jose Mourinho, Manager of Tottenham Hotspur embraces Dele Alli against West Ham United on 23 November 2019 (Getty Images) Mourinho and Alli have an honest relationship, as portrayed in the documentary (Photo: Getty)

Mourinho is bang-on there to be fair. 

• Upvote 2