You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace (H) 19/1/19

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

"The fourth goal, which we would have liked chalked off".

Well, yeah, I feel the same way about every goal Liverpool concede. But if it's a perfectly legitimate goal, you've just got to take it on the chin.

No go emit a pellet of mouse bones, you pissy old ballbag.

I thought they were claiming it had gone out of play. Either way they're wrong.

That really got on my goat tonight. Shearer was a cunt, and so was whoever was commentating.

On Henderson - Its not that he is useless on the ball - just he is not really creative enough to demand it - which he still does, often in very ineffective positions. Van Djk or Matip is more likely to play a pass into the feet of one of the forwards so for him to take it off their foot just to pass to the other fella is not doing much.

He has at least begun to turn and try to break the first line

10 hours ago, magicrat said:

Just watched the game again and have to say Henderson played really well. Something I didn't appreciate this afternoon watching a stop start steam on my laptop. He certainly wasn't hiding today

He had a decent game, but (and I'm not one of those who goes all in to criticise him) I think he's largely at fault for their first goal.

Mané, Firmino and I forget who else (Keita?) were trying to dispossess McArthur - three players should be enough there. Henderson gets a rush of blood and runs out of his midfield position to help, completely vacating the centre of the pitch, and from there Palace get to build some momentum and run at us. It was the kind of thing a player in a midfield two should be aware of, as Fabinho was too far back to be able to step up.

His greatest attribute is his energy, and he certainly didn't hide, but I think he's at his best when putting out fires and cutting off opposition runs, rather than trying to be too proactive in pressing. It doesn't help that our press is a bit ragged these days though.

8 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He had a decent game, but (and I'm not one of those who goes all in to criticise him) I think he's largely at fault for their first goal.

Mané, Firmino and I forget who else (Keita?) were trying to dispossess McArthur - three players should be enough there. Henderson gets a rush of blood and runs out of his midfield position to help, completely vacating the centre of the pitch, and from there Palace get to build some momentum and run at us. It was the kind of thing a player in a midfield two should be aware of, as Fabinho was too far back to be able to step up.

His greatest attribute is his energy, and he certainly didn't hide, but I think he's at his best when putting out fires and cutting off opposition runs, rather than trying to be too proactive in pressing. It doesn't help that our press is a bit ragged these days though.

I'd love to know the management's real thoughts on that. It could well be that he was correct to charge in, if he won it we were 5 on 2 high up the pitch. Personally I thought it was a big big error from Henderson.

3 hours ago, Wezza said:

Watching the game again - am only now fully appreciating how good Fabinho’s pass to Milner was in the build up to the third goal.

I thought both he and Henderson were our best performers yesterday. 

Palace came with a tactic and to be fair to them, they executed it to near perfection and nearly pulled out at the very least, a draw.. Their first I bet is an exact copy of a drawing on a white-board back at their training ground.

Defend in numbers, don't allow us space and break quick and target our RHS, as simple plan that worked effectively. Possibly the big worry is, is that we knew what they were going to do, but couldn't counter it.

10 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'd love to know the management's real thoughts on that. It could well be that he was correct to charge in, if he won it we were 5 on 2 high up the pitch. Personally I thought it was a big big error from Henderson.

I can see them telling him to get on the front foot, geeing him up if you will, but you'd imagine the bigger picture would be to stress the importance of working with regards Fabinho's position. It's why we've often looked poor whenever we try a midfield two post Masch/Alonso, because it requires a natural instinct as to when to step up and when to hold position.

The general criticism of Hendo/Wijnaldum has been being too docile, playing safe balls and not stepping into space. I think this was an indication of what happens when they don't restrict themselves to that safe approach. Both can play the role, but neither has shown a natural flair for it.

Some good comments here about the first goal yesterday. I thought at the time while watching half the team pile in on McArthur it was bonkers and Henderson should have known better and stayed at home. It was born of frustration and impatience probably against a packed defence and very little joy in breaking them down. Had they dispossessed McArthur and scored everyone would have been swinging their dick but on a calm refection it was poor judgement by the Captain which in the end didn't cost us fortunately.

38 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Defend in numbers, don't allow us space and break quick and target our RHS, as simple plan that worked effectively. Possibly the big worry is, is that we knew what they were going to do, but couldn't counter it.

Not a very big worry: we had the freakish circumstance of playing a team whose one real attacking threat is an outstanding left winger at a time when both of our right-backs were injured. They're both expected to be available for the next game, so hakuna matata.

My main concern is what Palace have got against the Royal Horticultural Society.