You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shanks

Bamo

I went to one of these "an evening with" things a few years ago - Doc's uncle with the Saint, Rowdy and Cally, hosted by John Keith. Yeats and Callaghan had some nice anecdotes and (needless to say) Keith could barely shut St John up. But he really struggled to get two syllables out of Lawler. But that was fine: the audience loved The Silent Knight being reticent.

I went to one of these "an evening with" things a few years ago - Doc's uncle with the Saint, Rowdy and Cally, hosted by John Keith. Yeats and Callaghan had some nice anecdotes and (needless to say) Keith could barely shut St John up. But he really struggled to get two syllables out of Lawler. But that was fine: the audience loved The Silent Knight being reticent.

LFCTV interviewed him about 8 years ago and he did the interviewers head in. Every question he asked him was open ended that most other ex pros would have rambled on about.

"Who was the best team you played against?"

"Everton"

"Why was that Chris, what was so good about them?"

"They had some good players".

Basically every answer was similar to that and the interviewer just gave up.

My Dad had the good fortune to be at Shankly's house once, he kept calling him Mr Shankly, he said it's Bill ,ok Mr Shankly. He asked him did he ever drink , I sometimes have a Hot Toddy before I turn in ,he then went to make a cup of tea and as he was doing so Nessie said to me Dad ,take no notice he has 2 or 3.

Watched that last night and thought it was good apart from that bit they were singing Shankly Shankly to the bagpipes which I thought was a bit weird and a bit too much really.

• Upvote 1

Apparently Bill Shankly and Matt Busby used to meet for a pint in the Wellington pub in Eccleston. It's just past the roundabout that leads past Knowsley Safari Park and leading into St Helens. They must had some interesting conversations.

Can't imagine Klopp and Mourinho meeting up for a bevie?.

I cried watching it on Sunday. Everything we stand for as a club is because of him. His words on liverpudlians "their arrogant, their cocky, their proud and that's what I wanted the team to be because they were Liverpool"

What a man.

And what a player your uncle was Rob.

• Upvote 3

I cried watching it on Sunday. Everything we stand for as a club is because of him. His words on liverpudlians "their arrogant, their cocky, their proud and that's what I wanted the team to be because they were Liverpool"

What a man.

And what a player your uncle was Rob.

Cheers mate. Criminally underrated outside of Merseyside mate.

• Upvote 2

He's my Dad. Where did you work with him?

That's great that, small world and all that? I liked the story where Chris Lawler complained about riding his old bike to the ground whereas others ,Willie Stevenson I think, had a boss car so the next morning there was a brand new bike waiting for him courtesy of Bob Paisley.

Also the one about when in the changing room for a half time team talk, getting beat in FA Cup semi , Chris Lawler just sat down doing the crossword

Everything we stand for as a club is because of him.

When we had the original thread on here about it when it had been on BBC Scotland I said much the same.

But rather that is shows what the club used to stand for.

It really highlights how little they give a fuck about the fans and the local area for me. 

That's great that, small world and all that? I liked the story where Chris Lawler complained about riding his old bike to the ground whereas others ,Willie Stevenson I think, had a boss car so the next morning there was a brand new bike waiting for him courtesy of Bob Paisley.

Also the one about when in the changing room for a half time team talk, getting beat in FA Cup semi , Chris Lawler just sat down doing the crossword

Him and my dad love a good crossword. Suppose that's one way to remain calm under pressure.

Him and my dad love a good crossword. Suppose that's one way to remain calm under pressure.

Haha yeah, St John is my sisters godfather as he used to be mates with me Dad in the 60s , got a great picture on my wall of me Dad ,St John, Ron Yeats, Billy Bingham and Tony Kaye in a bookies on the Dock Rd I think , looks like something from Oceans 11 and I used to have his Scotland shirt short sleeves and V neck ,I used to feel ace playing footy in it as a kid and wished I still had it.Lawler could put them away too though a little bit before my time.

I've always wanted to send regards to St John from me Mum especially when he wasn't too good ,don't know if that'd be possible, though Jimmy Case lives down here and met him a few times and had a good beer once do maybe I should of asked him on how to send the best wishes etc.

• Upvote 1