You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alisson Becker

aRdja

Just for a bit of balance, yesterday he came running out for a ball unnecessarily and could have easily given away a penalty. Then at least twice he took completely ridiculous risks with the ball at his feet.

This is true. Still he looks a completely different class compared to his predecessors. Better at everything, obviously one of the best around with his feet, which is essential to the way we play. Also oozes with confidence, you get the feeling he’ll just move on after a mistake.

And of course he’s already made a difference. No way would we have gotten six points from the last two with Karius og Ming in goal. No way.

I loved it. The great players have that air of arrogance about them. Knockaert did everything right, he pressed well, he anticipated the back pass falling short and he still got done up like a kipper. That's the kind of self belief we've been lacking.

Ha! Will be interesting to see if he’s given praise for the brilliance of our current goalkeeper, given that the failings of the last few were, for many, largely on him.

Personally, I always fell into the ‘just buy a great goalkeeper’ camp.

Depends... if he doesn't get worse, or even gets better... then I'd have to hold my hands up about Achterberg as I've been about as vocal as anyone about the GK situation (before our current boss GK)

Love the way he’s had little to do in both the palace and the Brighton games but when we need him to make a save to help win us the points he does.

Used to do my head in with the other two Mongs we had in goals especially mignolet. Dominate a game for 90

Mins the opposition have 3 shots 2 on target and 2 goals.

• Upvote 1

Yes, because he worked with some absolutely outstanding goalkeeping talent.

Why would he need to for what I said to be incorrect?

He made a good keeper average, and average keepers shit. Every single goalkeeper he coached got worse, regardless of what their starting point was.

Why would he need to for what I said to be incorrect?

He made a good keeper average, and average keepers shit. Every single goalkeeper he coached got worse, regardless of what their starting point was.

Don't think anybody can state with certainty that it was or wasn't all on him.

Reina seemed to have more energy for leading the celebrations of a Spanish team that he never got picked for towards the end of his time with us. For whatever reason, we didn't buy a top quality goalkeeper afterwards until this summer.

I think a mentally strong, world class goalkeeper makes the issue of a specific positional coach somewhat irrelevant.

Don't think anybody can state with certainty that it was or wasn't all on him.

Reina seemed to have more energy for leading the celebrations of a Spanish team that he never got picked for towards the end of his time with us. For whatever reason, we didn't buy a top quality goalkeeper afterwards until this summer.

I think a mentally strong, world class goalkeeper makes the issue of a specific positional coach somewhat irrelevant.

I´m not suggesting it was entirely on him.

And, yes, Reina clearly gave less of a fuck. Understandably so, all of our best players were fucking off (some of which tend to get a much easier ride than those that stayed for some reason), and we were managed by Roy fucking Hodgson. But Reina, and Torres I believe, cited Valero´s attention to detail as being very important. It´s for this reason that I can´t simply dismiss the impact of a goalkeeping coach.

I think having a mentally strong world class goalkeeper makes it less important, but not irrelevant. Thankfully we do actually have a world class goalkeeper now. 

• Upvote 1

This is in no way having a go but I think of the two sayings;

If you can't be good, be lucky

The more I practice, the luckier I get

I first thought this in pre-season when he spilled the shot and it went wide and then he misplaced a pass straight to opposition and nothing came of it. 

My mind went to if Karius had been in goal the spilled shot would have gone in and/or the same with the misplaced pass. 

Similar to when he dived and punched the ball straight out of the penalty area, exactly same last year against Spurs, who then scored a wonder goal. 

I think he is class and oozes confidence (which is massively important), so things seem to fall right for him. We all have a friend who you know when something goes wrong, it will happen to them, this is Karius. 

I am happy we have upgraded to the friend who all the positive things happen too. 

As I said at the start, this is not a dig, quite the opposite in fact. He expects positive results to his actions and works to make them happen.