You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

I reckon van Dijk, Lovren, Gomez, Matip, and Philips is probably enough not to have to do that. I’d keep Klavan but if he wants regular footy then fair play. It’ll probably allow us to get a top player next time we are in the market.

Masterson is better than Philips imo. A fit Masterson anyway.

• Upvote 1

Good luck to old Raggy. I always thought he was good, solid and dependable, very underrated, a very shrewd signing.

I also believe that it's now a sound piece of business from the club; if we ever intend to bring our young players through then there needs to be space and opportinity. Gomez and Philips could both prove to be excellent centre halves and deserve that bigger opportunity.

As much as I like Matip, he should be looking over his shoulder. I could easily see us bringing in Tarkowski and offloading Joel, 1 in and 1 out.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In hindsight, over the course of his career I think I would at least put Sturridge in the bust category of signings.

At the end we will have paid top,top wages (for awhile our top wage earner) to a fella who has averaged just under 10 goals a year.

We didn't sign him on high wages and it was for a low fee. No amount of hindsight changes him being a great signing. You could whinge about him getting a new contract on high wages but that would almost certainly be revisionism as no one was complaining at the time.

• Upvote 2

We didn't sign him on high wages and it was for a low fee. No amount of hindsight changes him being a great signing. You could whinge about him getting a new contract on high wages but that would almost certainly be revisionism as no one was complaining at the time.

Great signing.  Two and a half seasons of contributing followed by four years of offering fuck all, yeah we have different notions of the word great.

To be fair to Rodgers he probably hadn't seen a second of Markovic before we signed him. That was back when there was big division between the manager and the recruitment people. 

Yep. Markovic has really been the only one of the "committee signings" that hasn't worked out at all.

Even Ilori is pretty easy to understand - I think they knew he was a high-risk/high-reward signing but if a 6'4" centre back who is a quicker sprinter than Cristiano Ronaldo turns out to be any good at all he's going to be worth a fortune.

The other ones who might have seemed to be flops at the time like Alberto or Aspas have gone on to be brilliant so it's safe to say that the committee was right to target them and the blame for them not working out can safely be laid at Brendan's feet.

Yep. Markovic has really been the only one of the "committee signings" that hasn't worked out at all.

Even Ilori is pretty easy to understand - I think they knew he was a high-risk/high-reward signing but if a 6'4" centre back who is a quicker sprinter than Cristiano Ronaldo turns out to be any good at all he's going to be worth a fortune.

The other ones who might have seemed to be flops at the time like Alberto or Aspas have gone on to be brilliant so it's safe to say that the committee was right to target them and the blame for them not working out can safely be laid at Brendan's feet.

Hold on

Balotelli?

Plus a 50% sell-on clause. That £2.9m covers the wages we would have paid him for the last year of his contract, and leaves maybe £1m to spare. Plus, unless Anderlecht let him go for free or cancel his contract, we could still see a bit more money in the future.

EDIT: Maybe not.