You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another Incident On London Bridge

Anubis

Yes, the answer is more police. Don't address the problem, that'd be stupid.

(Can't wait for the Ibiza pics by the way)

Can't wait for the pictures of all the dead people following the destruction of the NHS by your cunt of a party... but as long as you and your family are ok, who cares!!!

Can't wait for the pictures of all the dead people following the destruction of the NHS by your cunt of a party... but as long as you and your family are ok, who cares!!!

They aren't 'my party' they suit me now. Yes, I want me and my family to be ok first, if that makes you think I'm bad then I'm sure I'll be ok.

Here's a little thought experiment for you...all the people you love are in a room, there are x people in another room. One of the rooms will be filled with poison. At what point will you let the first room die? My number will be higher than yours because I'm selfish. Will yours be 1:1?

This isn't hypothetical though, your party are killing people. You seem to be more concerned with your household income.

I'm lucky enough to earn a very good salary, as does my girlfriend. If it means I take home less to help those that don't have much, I'm happy to do so.

I come from a deprived area (Knowsley) and know how bad !families struggle to put food on the table. My mum and dad have worked all their lives and still struggled to get by. It was only when I was 15 that they started to live comfortably. Many of my friends families never had that and still don't.

• Upvote 3

I'm really not sure where to put this post and I even question its relevance, but I feel I have to get something off my chest because these past 24 hours, my head's been an utter mess. I make absolutely no apologies for a lack of coherence, because as I said, it's more a case of articulating feelings than trying to come out with something witty or attempting to appear sardonic or whatever else.

Yesterday, I was at a mate's house enjoying a barbecue. Good food, good company, ale and the Champions League final. Doesn't get much better, does it? About half 12, I got a phone call from my sister, who lives in the Smoke. I was half-cut at this point, but she's panicked down the line going "Don't worry, I'm safe. I'm safe." I had absolutey no idea what she was on about. It all just felt surreal hearing her so obviously fearful when I was well oiled. Obviously it became apparent after checking the news what had happened. As it turned out, she was right by where the attack happened having a bev with her mates and the police had to enter the pub and evacuate everybody. i'm just so bloody thankful that she's fine, but it hits home how chance plays a part in life; ten minutes too early, ten minutes too late, where do you end up?

Today, I was in town at Fact watching a film. My folks were at the Albert Dock having meal and they belled us seeing if I fancied joining them for a drink after their scran. I obliged, and wandered to the Pump House from Wood Street. Considering it was a Sunday and the weather was ace, town was oddly quiet. Not deathly so, but noticeable enough that I wasn't getting pissed off by the Church Street dawdlers. Anyway, I met the folks and they mentioned something similar; how the Docks were oddly quiet, even to the extent that their server commented on it.

Anyway, we ended up having several drinks together and had a laugh, chewed the fat and just had a ball, even thanking our stars that my sister was sound. The events in London inevitably came up, as did the attack last week in Manchester. We had an absolutely superb day and even though I realise this post isn't particularly coherent, what I'm on about is how today we enjoyed something that we shouldn't relinquish, that people will try to force us into forsaking: Great drinks, great company, great food. In essence, the little things that make life worth living. We can't lose sight of that and we can't freely give up such wonderful simplicities.

I got in and caught the tail end of that Manchester gig. Seeing 'Live Forever' was fucking ace and not going to lie, even though she's as far away from my taste as possible, Arianna Grande ending things with 'One Last Time' was just truly moving. Obviously on account of the circumstances, I felt my bottom lip going. I've got so much respect for her because I honestly don't know how she can find it in herself to keep going, especially considering she's a kid herself. What a woman. And I doubt it, but I hope the Daily Mail and Piers Morgan are fucking ashamed of themselves for the slut shaming comments (DM) and pinpointing of guilt (Morgan; calling her out because she hadn't visited any of the victims in hospital within something like 72 hours). Cunts to a man.

Again, I'm not even sure where I'm going with this other than to say enjoy your life, enjoy the company of your friends and family, have an ace one eating and drinking lots of ace stuff. Don't give thought to the inconsequential stuff in life. Just have a boss one. I fucking love Liverpool, and Manchester and London are pretty ace as well (even if they pale in comparison). x

• Upvote 6

Yes, the answer is more police. Don't address the problem, that'd be stupid.

How is that not hypocrisy? Corbyn is talking about dealing with the problem more than May is. Did you not read this on the other page? https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/871451490199756800

You're supporting a party that's been accused of suppressing a report into foreign funding of terrorist groups and that's also selling arms to some of the most extreme governments in the Middle East, so I don't get how you can attack Labour on this with police numbers.

On the report that Corbyn accused May of suppressing :

'Sensitive' UK terror funding inquiry may never be published

The Observer reported in January last year that the Home Office’s extremism analysis unit had been directed by Downing Street to investigate overseas funding of extremist groups in the UK, with findings to be shown to Theresa May, then home secretary, and Cameron.

However, 18 months later, the Home Office confirmed the report had not yet been completed and said it would not necessarily be published, calling the contents “very sensitive”.

A decision would be taken “after the election by the next government” about the future of the investigation, a Home Office spokesman said.

In his letter to May, Brake wrote: “As home secretary at the time, your department was one of those leading on the report. Eighteen months later, and following two horrific terrorist attacks by British-born citizens, that report still remains incomplete and unpublished.

“It is no secret that Saudi Arabia in particular provides funding to hundreds of mosques in the UK, espousing a very hardline Wahhabist interpretation of Islam. It is often in these institutions that British extremism takes root.”

The contents of the report may prove politically as well as legally sensitive. Saudi Arabia, which has been a funding source for fundamentalist Islamist preachers and mosques, was visited by May earlier this year.

Last December, a leaked report from Germany’s federal intelligence service accused several Gulf groups of funding religious schools and radical Salafist preachers in mosques, calling it “a long-term strategy of influence”.

The Lib Dem leader, Tim Farron, said he felt the government had not held up its side of the bargain made ahead of the vote on airstrikes. The report must be published when it was completed, he insisted, despite the Home Office caution that information in the document would be sensitive.

“That short-sighted approach needs to change. It is critical that these extreme, hardline views are confronted head on, and that those who fund them are called out publicly,” he said.

“If the Conservatives are serious about stopping terrorism on our shores, they must stop stalling and reopen investigation into foreign funding of violent extremism in the UK.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/may/31/sensitive-uk-terror-funding-inquiry-findings-may-never-be-published-saudi-arabia

There's also this from Sept last year :

Britain is now the second biggest arms dealer in the world

Britain is now the second biggest arms dealer in the world, official government figures show – with most of the weapons fuelling deadly conflicts in the Middle East.

Since 2010 Britain has also sold arms to 39 of the 51 countries ranked “not free” on the Freedom House "Freedom in the world" report, and 22 of the 30 countries on the UK Government’s own human rights watch list.

A full two-thirds of UK weapons over this period were sold to Middle Eastern countries, where instability has fed into increased risk of terror threats to Britain and across the West.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/britain-is-now-the-second-biggest-arms-dealer-in-the-world-a7225351.html

I'm really not sure where to put this post and I even question its relevance, but I feel I have to get something off my chest because these past 24 hours, my head's been an utter mess. I make absolutely no apologies for a lack of coherence, because as I said, it's more a case of articulating feelings than trying to come out with something witty or attempting to appear sardonic or whatever else.

Yesterday, I was at a mate's house enjoying a barbecue. Good food, good company, ale and the Champions League final. Doesn't get much better, does it? About half 12, I got a phone call from my sister, who lives in the Smoke. I was half-cut at this point, but she's panicked down the line going "Don't worry, I'm safe. I'm safe." I had absolutey no idea what she was on about. It all just felt surreal hearing her so obviously fearful when I was well oiled. Obviously it became apparent after checking the news what had happened. As it turned out, she was right by where the attack happened having a bev with her mates and the police had to enter the pub and evacuate everybody. i'm just so bloody thankful that she's fine, but it hits home how chance plays a part in life; ten minutes too early, ten minutes too late, where do you end up?

Today, I was in town at Fact watching a film. My folks were at the Albert Dock having meal and they belled us seeing if I fancied joining them for a drink after their scran. I obliged, and wandered to the Pump House from Wood Street. Considering it was a Sunday and the weather was ace, town was oddly quiet. Not deathly so, but noticeable enough that I wasn't getting pissed off by the Church Street dawdlers. Anyway, I met the folks and they mentioned something similar; how the Docks were oddly quiet, even to the extent that their server commented on it.

Anyway, we ended up having several drinks together and had a laugh, chewed the fat and just had a ball, even thanking our stars that my sister was sound. The events in London inevitably came up, as did the attack last week in Manchester. We had an absolutely superb day and even though I realise this post isn't particularly coherent, what I'm on about is how today we enjoyed something that we shouldn't relinquish, that people will try to force us into forsaking: Great drinks, great company, great food. In essence, the little things that make life worth living. We can't lose sight of that and we can't freely give up such wonderful simplicities.

I got in and caught the tail end of that Manchester gig. Seeing 'Live Forever' was fucking ace and not going to lie, even though she's as far away from my taste as possible, Arianna Grande ending things with 'One Last Time' was just truly moving. Obviously on account of the circumstances, I felt my bottom lip going. I've got so much respect for her because I honestly don't know how she can find it in herself to keep going, especially considering she's a kid herself. What a woman. And I doubt it, but I hope the Daily Mail and Piers Morgan are fucking ashamed of themselves for the slut shaming comments (DM) and pinpointing of guilt (Morgan; calling her out because she hadn't visited any of the victims in hospital within something like 72 hours). Cunts to a man.

Again, I'm not even sure where I'm going with this other than to say enjoy your life, enjoy the company of your friends and family, have an ace one eating and drinking lots of ace stuff. Don't give thought to the inconsequential stuff in life. Just have a boss one. I fucking love Liverpool, and Manchester and London are pretty ace as well (even if they pale in comparison). x

Think this is an ace post, myself.

• Upvote 1

Haven't we recently agreed some £5bn of investment from Qatar?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40155829

Was reading about that earlier, one of the most bizarre things I've seen on the Middle East in ages. Saudi Arabia cutting ties with Qatar over links to terrorism? How's that for hypocrisy? According to The Guardian it all started off "after Qatar alleged in late May that hackers took over the site of its state-run news agency and published what it called fake comments from its ruling emir about Iran and Israel."

So hackers spread some fake comments and it leads to Qatar being isolated by several other countries? There's more on the supposed hacking here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/24/qatar-state-news-agency-hacked-fake-positive-story-israel-iran/

Maybe the Saudis are resigned to Corbyn winning so they're scapegoating Qatar before Thursday!

Was reading about that earlier, one of the most bizarre things I've seen on the Middle East in ages. Saudi Arabia cutting ties with Qatar over links to terrorism? How's that for hypocrisy? According to The Guardian it all started off "after Qatar alleged in late May that hackers took over the site of its state-run news agency and published what it called fake comments from its ruling emir about Iran and Israel."

So hackers spread some fake comments and it leads to Qatar being isolated by several other countries? There's more on the supposed hacking here : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/24/qatar-state-news-agency-hacked-fake-positive-story-israel-iran/

Maybe the Saudis are resigned to Corbyn winning so they're scapegoating Qatar before Thursday!

It's one of those "pot kettle black" moments.

This isn't hypothetical though, your party are killing people. You seem to be more concerned with your household income.

I'm lucky enough to earn a very good salary, as does my girlfriend. If it means I take home less to help those that don't have much, I'm happy to do so.

I come from a deprived area (Knowsley) and know how bad !families struggle to put food on the table. My mum and dad have worked all their lives and still struggled to get by. It was only when I was 15 that they started to live comfortably. Many of my friends families never had that and still don't.

'Your' party started the war that destabilised the region. Does that keep you up at night? Millions dead. Millions.

Here's some other news. All the parties will let people die. Yours may save some more but it'll be marginal, there will decisions made and that come down to cash and Corbyn will allow people to die.

I come from Stockport which is a fucking hole and for some reason a breeding ground for serial killers. I care more about my family than people I don't know.

Well if your family was massacred by terrorists allowed to freely return to the country from libya terrorist training camps by theresa may Rico you'd beg to differ with yourself and have to fight yourself to the death in a scrapyard and while hes beating you mercilessly telling you to quit hitting yourself your realise your an idiot so you might be wrong there's still time to change your vote.

The Qatar Conundrum 2

5 Jun, 2017 in Uncategorized by craig | View Comments

Qatar is the most politically liberal of the Gulf states (admittedly a low bar). It hosts Al Jazeera TV and the Doha Debates. You can drink in its hotels and women can walk around uncovered, drive cars, and associate comparatively freely. Its universities are western in feel and appearance. There are of course many things to criticise, above all the treatment, conditions and lack of rights of migrant workers, lack of women’s and LGBT rights and freedom of speech, and the absence of meaningful democracy. But Saudi Arabia it isn’t.

For Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf Co-operation Council states to claim Qatar is the main sponsor of state terrorism, and put it under potentially crippling blockade, is the most monstrous example of the pot calling the kettle black. Qatar has indeed financed violent groups in the Middle East and participated in the war in Yemen, but in both cases on a far less grand scale than Saudi Arabia.

What is really behind this blockade against Qatar is an attack on another aspect of its liberalism. Qatar is unenthusiastic about the USA/Israel/Saudi de facto alliance, which has already been in evidence for a couple of years, and which the Trump mission to the Middle East looked to turbocharge. Qatar refused to endorse the overthrow of Egypt’s democratically elected President by the CIA-backed military coup of General Sisi. Qatar also has deep reservations about the Saudi Wahhabist mission to spread sectarian war against the Shia across the Middle East. Qatar further deserves praise because the plight of the Palestinians is a far higher priority for Doha than it is for Riyadh. The Saudis have no problem with selling out the Palestinians completely to secure their own standing with the Western elites and further their rivalry with Iran.

The extent to which Qatar has been able to act upon its different instincts to its much larger and more powerful neighbour has been limited, and by and large it has been obliged to go along with the Saudis in the Gulf Cooperation Council without expressing too much dissent. It is Trump’s visit and the desire of the Saudis to increase the security coordination with the USA and Israel which has forced the Qatari Royal Family to take a stand of principle, which sadly they are unlikely to be unable to maintain in the face of the blockade.

It is a straw in the wind that a figure like me was able to be invited two months ago to be the guest speaker at Al Jazeera’s gala dinner. My pro-Palestinian views are very well known as are my criticisms of both the United States and Saudi Arabia. Indeed, they can be the only possible reason I was invited to go and sit at a table with members of the Qatari royal family and give a very public speech.

I have been challenged to produce a recording of that speech, and some commenters have suggested I am hiding something. The truth is I never write my speeches, as anyone who has seen me speak will know, and that I understand it was broadcast live with only the Arabic interpreter as sound, but I have been unable to find a recording anywhere. However I recall my closing sentence fairly accurately, and it was aimed very squarely at the Saudis.

“If you find yourself in an alliance, even a de facto alliance, with a state which is conducting a slow genocide against people of your own race and your own religion, then you may be motivated by self-interest, but you have in fact mistaken your own self-interest.”

Strange it took place not far from the quatar owned The shard while the Manchester one wasn't a million miles from the abu dabi owned man city.

And a short time after I put it out there the saudi's are now smearing qatar more evidence the saudi's are behind these attacks is confirmation I am once again correct in my early assessment. I also had no idea about this report into saudi backed terrorists in the uk and the threat of it beingin corbyns hands.

Again confirmation.

One of the big problems with terror in the UK, especially in London, is that all through the 80s we opened it up to virtually every 'government in exile' and extremist group in the Middle East because, at the time, they weren't fighting us. Their roots run deep in the smoke.

• Upvote 1

One of the cunts involved (who's flat in Barking was raiding this morning) was reported to anti-terrorist hotline/police by 2 different sets of people that knew him about fear that he had been radicalised.

Police did fuck all about it.

How do we know they did?