You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

• 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Genuine question, if this role is such a bad idea, why are the teams first, second, third and fifth in the league doing it?

For me it's not the role so much as Trent not wanting to do that side of the role. A 4231 would make sense for but I doubt Klopp would swap to that. Not sure that suits Jones/Elliot. 

3 hours ago, Mark M said:

Can we fuck off this hybrid RB / Midfield roll& just move him into midfield pls.

I was just coming on here to comment on the MOTD2 whoppers who are saying "he's the heartbeat of this team, he dictates games, he makes things happen... it's time to change his position".

It's working. Don't fuck about.

If Klopp and Southgate differ on what his best role is, I know which manager I trust.

15 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I was just coming on here to comment on the MOTD2 whoppers who are saying "he's the heartbeat of this team, he dictates games, he makes things happen... it's time to change his position".

It's working. Don't fuck about.

If Klopp and Southgate differ on what his best role is, I know which manager I trust.

he actually did both sides yesterday. hybrid till gomez came on, when he took maccas #6 role. and by the way, while gomez got a little wider than trent he still did the hybrid thing, coming inside whenever he remembered. We're 14 matches into this season and we played 9 or 10 at the end of last season with it. and we're still unbeaten, except the game where we played 13 v 9. 

• Upvote 3

We’re taking a calculated risk with this hybrid role like we do with the high line everybody was freaking out about not so long ago. We are gambling that we will control most of the game and create significantly more decent chances than we know we’ll give away when we lose the ball. Sometimes we’ll get caught out and concede but results show it’s working even if it’s nerve racking.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, aws said:

We’re taking a calculated risk with this hybrid role like we do with the high line everybody was freaking out about not so long ago. We are gambling that we will control most of the game and create significantly more decent chances than we know we’ll give away when we lose the ball. Sometimes we’ll get caught out and concede but results show it’s working even if it’s nerve racking.  

The trouble with risks like that, is they're maybe worth taking when Ali is in goal. Kelleher doesn't save enough to make it a very safe gamble. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

The trouble with risks like that, is they're maybe worth taking when Ali is in goal. Kelleher doesn't save enough to make it a very safe gamble. 

Agree with this. There's no insurance policy with Kelleher in goal when playing like that. He's a good keeper, good with his feet too. But he isn't Alisson and won't ever pull off the wonder saves he can.

10 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Agree with this. There's no insurance policy with Kelleher in goal when playing like that. He's a good keeper, good with his feet too. But he isn't Alisson and won't ever pull off the wonder saves he can.

It's also Ali's presence. I think some forwards think they have to have the perfect finish to score and as a result, the chance is gone before they get the shot away. As we've seen from kelleher, he just doesn't have that presence and forwards will feel just get something on target and there's a chance. 

Still don't understand the people who want us to fuck off the inverted full back system. Would they we rather go back to the 433 which had been worked out by opponents? The merits of the 3 box 3 system are clear to see. It was discussed in that video I posted here in the thread.

Sure, occasionally we would get exposed because every system has weaknesses, but this current system has been our most balanced since that dreadful run earlier in the year. Evidenced by the results we've picked since we started using it.

21 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Still don't understand the people who want us to fuck off the inverted full back system. Would they we rather go back to the 433 which had been worked out by opponents? The merits of the 3 box 3 system are clear to see. It was discussed in that video I posted here in the thread.

Sure, occasionally we would get exposed because every system has weaknesses, but this current system has been our most balanced since that dreadful run earlier in the year. Evidenced by the results we've picked since we started using it.

We can play 3 box 3 in possession without an inverted full back. 

Play a defensive right back, let the left back sprint up and down the touchline all game. The 6 and the left 8 (Trent) form the base of the box, the right 8 and either the left back or the left winger form the top of the box. 

But we signed three 8s over the summer and we already have Curtis and Harvey so I doubt Trent is getting into midfield anytime soon, unless he fancies playing as a 6.