You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Social media was a terrible idea, and everyone should just collectively agree to call the whole thing off. Nobody is immune to saying stupid shit every now and then, and a precedent has already been set where nobody is immune to the consequences.

Just imagine a not too distant future where employers and governments use data analysis to scan through all your tweets for offensive things and stop you from: a.) being employed  b.) sack you from your job, or c.) stop you from entering a certain country. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Treat the whole thing as defamation of yourself.

13 minutes ago, Boss said:

Social media was a terrible idea, and everyone should just collectively agree to call the whole thing off. Nobody is immune to saying stupid shit every now and then, and a precedent has already been set where nobody is immune to the consequences.

Just imagine a not too distant future where employers and governments use data analysis to scan through all your tweets for offensive things and stop you from: a.) being employed  b.) sack you from your job, or c.) stop you from entering a certain country. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Treat the whole thing as defamation of yourself.

A mate of mine works for the MOD in the dept that vets civil servants, spies, etc.  He says we are a couple of years away from being able to do exactly that.  At the moment candidates have to voluntarily give up user names and such, soon it won’t matter. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Finkelstein gives absolutely zero fucks. 

Don't know what he was saying, but the reactions in the crowd ("I've never seen a crowd like this, they're nuts")... who are these people? How can you get hysterical over this?

1 hour ago, Boss said:

I think Twitter is a whole other level. Facebook is good if used properly, even for celebrities/politics etc because you can build a community around it, Twitter by its very nature negates the possibility of any long conversations or discussions of substance, and it's so fleeting that people who want to be noticed have to do or say something to 'get' noticed. 

The anonymity aspect of it also allows people to act in a way they never would in real life. It's absolute and  total shite. In no way should it be taken to be representative of a political view, party of demographic,  to do so is deliberately disengenuous.

If a bullet landed on my door mat I'd shit myself, if an Arsenal fan under the pseudonym Pires's_Pants81 said he was going to 'kill me' if I ever ventured down to the smoke again, I can say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't be remotely arsed. 

SECTION_31 BOMBARDED WITH VILE DEATH THREATS BY SICK GUNNERS TROLL ARMY!!!! SCOTLAND YARD SAY THEY'RE TAKING IT SERIOUSLY AS ARE THE CLUB!!!

2 hours ago, Boss said:

I think it's easy to critique social media and point to its failings of exacerbating group think and confirmation bias by focusing on the noisiest minority. I would say though there is something in the wisdom of the crowd, the main difference is there is a lot of noise and many don't self censor. If you can get past that there is some good stuff out there. Historically the internet until fairly recently has operated on the model of peers moderating each other and it worked surprisingly well see TLW. There are a lot of vested interests in censoring and rubbishing the crowd on social media. To some extent behaviour on social media is highly influenced and reflective of the mainstream media and our instinct to be tribal and how politicians and high profile people behave in society.  Social media doesn't sit in a vacuum. Sadly It's almost definitely going to end up needing everyone to register with identification to post on the big social media accounts. Which is a shame as some of the best accounts are anonymous not for trolling or aggressive reasons but whistleblowing or wanting to be private for work and personal reasons. 

Twitter is brilliant.  The negative aspects are obviously well documented but people now have direct access to the “truth” or whatever truth they choose to believe and it’s down to social media.  It’s much better than getting your news from a select bunch of outlets who could set the agenda.

People can criticise it for its “fake news” but it isn’t a new thing.  The problem for governments now is that the fake news is no longer in their control.

11 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Rachel Riley is having a bad day on Twitter. Sharing a video which purports to show Jeremy Corbyn "legitimising" Palestinian suicide bombers, when what he's doing is nothing like that. 

Thankfully, a lot of the comments are calling her out on her cheap smears. 

if he's selling those cheap smears, I hope she wraps them in cling film first

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

If centreists don't like the direction of the Labour party, why don't they become members? I mean it's only about £3 a month and if enough of them join up they can infuence policy. Maybe there's just not enough people enthused by centreist policies to be bothered, and maybe the centreist MPs are out of step with what the membership and country wants?

Personally I think the majority of the country sits down the middle, but most of them don't give a shit about politics, but they're genuinely afraid of extremism from either the left or right. They want government and politics to be quiet, in the corner, as uncontroversial as possible and deliver them a better standard of living while it's happening. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Boss said:

Starting to sound like an episode of black mirror. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Personally I think the majority of the country sits down the middle, but most of them don't give a shit about politics, but they're genuinely afraid of extremism from either the left or right. They want government and politics to be quiet, in the corner, as uncontroversial as possible and deliver them a better standard of living while it's happening. 

Spot on. 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:54 AM, AngryofTuebrook said:

Splitters!

56 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The Lib Dems should clear up at the next election if that’s the case.

• Upvote 1