You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Value means nothing with injury prone players. We'll be paying them £5m+ a year to maybe play into a bit of form, maybe up their value, taking up space in the squad.

Fuck that. Replace them and see if their replacement can open a packet of wotsits without hemorrhaging blood.

That's basically what I was getting at, get rid now while we've still got a chance at getting some money back from him unlike Sturridge where we'll end up paying some sort of compensation for him, whether that's paying him off or supplementing his wages somewhere else.

Henderson is a good player and I'd want more information on this before having a view on whether or not he should be binned. 

Is it the same foot again? 

My understanding was there would be a lot of pain, then a rupture, but after that you build back up and carry on as you were. 

So, is it the same foot again, or is it the other foot? If it's the other foot, and the same sort of thing has to run its course - pain, rupture, work your way back and carry on as you were - then we should stick by him. 

In the meantime, sign Can up on a deal and since Henderson is out he will have more game time. He's taking his opportunity too, as he has improved the more he's played. I'm still not totally convinced by him, as I think he's a bit slow in seeing the big picture, and doesn't move the ball on quick enough sometimes; but I can't argue with his desire to get stuck in and stand up and be counted. We've not had enough of that, so whatever Emre's lack as a footballer, the fight he shows for the shirt has been making me warm to him a bit more.

With all that said, we still need a new midfielder, someone like Naby Keita. If we have Keita, Wijnaldum, Can and Lallana for the middle, it's up to Henderson to force his way back in by being better. That's the sort of position we need to be in. Proper competition for places. 

• Upvote 1

Henderson is a good player and I'd want more information on this before having a view on whether or not he should be binned.

Is it the same foot again?

My understanding was there would be a lot of pain, then a rupture, but after that you build back up and carry on as you were.

So, is it the same foot again, or is it the other foot? If it's the other foot, and the same sort of thing has to run its course - pain, rupture, work your way back and carry on as you were - then we should stick by him.

In the meantime, sign Can up on a deal and since Henderson is out he will have more game time. He's taking his opportunity too, as he has improved the more he's played. I'm still not totally convinced by him, as I think he's a bit slow in seeing the big picture, and doesn't move the ball on quick enough sometimes; but I can't argue with his desire to get stuck in and stand up and be counted. We've not had enough of that, so whatever Emre's lack as a footballer, the fight he shows for the shirt has been making me warm to him a bit more.

With all that said, we still need a new midfielder, someone like Naby Keita. If we have Keita, Wijnaldum, Can and Lallana for the middle, it's up to Henderson to force his way back in by being better. That's the sort of position we need to be in. Proper competition for places.

Who's to say that this won't occur again in a years time though or in two years? The clubs drs will know more than me obviously but if there's a decent enough chance it could happen again I'd sell him in the summer, he's simply not good enough to chance it happening again. If it was a Gerrard, Suarez, Torres you keep them around on the chance it wouldn't happen again because they were indispensable, Henderson is very replaceable.

And in regards to Can he doesn't lack as a footballer because he's pretty skilful and technically sound, I think he just lacks awareness and concentration which slows the play down because he has to look around when he gets the ball instead of before he receives it and he lapses in concentration when sometimes players run off him and when he's got like a simple 5 yard pass, he doesn't fully concentrate doing it and sometimes it goes stray. Both of them attributes should improve drastically as he gets older and more experienced.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the Henderson assessment there - if it's likely to happen repeatedly, sell him. But if it's a one and done sort of thing as I described - pain, rupture, work your way back - then I'd stick with him. 

As I say I'm warming to Can, but I still have my doubts about him. I think somewhere back on these boards I mentioned Kenny, and while he was never the fastest, he had that first yard in his head, because before and as he was receiving the ball, you got the sense that he saw the big picture and already knew what to do. 

Obviously I'm not expecting Can to have that sort of ability to the level of one of the greatest players we've seen... but something a little more in that direction would reassure me that he should be a fixture in the side for years to come. 

As things stand he's well worth his place in the team.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Klopp hasn't got a clue what is going on with Henderson.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-confident-13011605

So he could be back this week, could be back next season, could suddenly play for Ingerlund!

This bit caught my eye especially:

"Jordan can manage really well. It was the medical department that said he has to rest. We still have to.”

Some rest that since Feb.

If we sold Henderson I wouldn't lose any sleep

Would of course depend on what we replaced him with - there is no question we miss him currently...which says more about how poor the options to replace him from the squad are than how great he is..

If we were looking to build a genuine top class side that was fighting for the title, going deep in the European Cup and taking the FA cup seriously then he would IMO be a useful squad player - behind a better player in the pecking order and a proper captain and leader but decent back up who could do a job when needed.

I think there's a big question whether we miss him currently. What would he offer that we don't have?

I don't think he is great by any stretch and he is an embarrassment as captain but he adds more mobility and better passing to our midfield than how it looks currently.

I don't think he is great by any stretch and he is an embarrassment as captain but he adds more mobility and better passing to our midfield than how it looks currently.

Henderson's passing is not great.  The stats tell you otherwise, but most of those passes lack incisiveness and they often put teammates in defence into trouble.  Henderson is cowardly with the ball too often for me.  

Guest Pistonbroke

If we had insured his feet over the years we'd be able to afford Messi. 

It's annoying how often he picks up a seemingly innocuous injury for it to turn into a major problem. Does he hang about with Sturridge away from the game? 

Guest Pistonbroke

we haven't brought that female doctor in from Chelsea have we?  

If we had, the players would be queuing up to stand in the wall without protecting their bits. 

I think I must be watching a different game to the rest of you. He do fills in a lot of gaps left by the overly attacking strategy employed. He has fantastic energy and often prevents counter attacks developing. His passing is often conservative but he keeps the ball. And he actually does create a fair bit from his deep role.

We miss him clearly and I'm not sure it will be easy to upgrade him if it proves necessary.

And I'm not sure what you expect from a Captain. He is vocal, stands up to refs and the opposition and has undertaken this role for every team he has played for - including his country. That suggests those closer to the squad than any of us feel he has something to offer as a skipper.

I suspect many on here feel it makes them look a good judge to slag off players. "Look what I have seen that you morons haven't". It always disappoints me - I support the shirt - and I'd rather be positive, without being blinkered, where possible.

• Upvote 5

Would of course depend on what we replaced him with - there is no question we miss him currently...which says more about how poor the options to replace him from the squad are than how great he is..

If we were looking to build a genuine top class side that was fighting for the title, going deep in the European Cup and taking the FA cup seriously then he would IMO be a useful squad player - behind a better player in the pecking order and a proper captain and leader but decent back up who could do a job when needed.

What Stringy said

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)