You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Holiday recommendations

JohnnyH

Went to San Sebastian last week for a few days. Great spot. Very little Irish/British but dunno if it is like that in August.

I went in July year before last and only met one English person, and they'd been living there for about six years.

Probably my favourite city in Europe. The beach, the festivals, the cider, the political activism, the pintxos. It's paradise for me.

I went in July year before last and only met one English person, and they'd been living there for about six years.

Probably my favourite city in Europe. The beach, the festivals, the cider, the political activism, the pintxos. It's paradise for me.

The promenade, the people, the atmosphere. Went to one place where they make the pintxos to order - La cuchara de san telmo it was called. fois gras, veal cheeks, pig on a spit and a rioja for ten euro. Loved it. Stay away from Dickens though unless you wanna pay 16€ for a drink

The promenade, the people, the atmosphere. Went to one place where they make the pintxos to order - La cuchara de san telmo it was called. fois gras, veal cheeks, pig on a spit and a rioja for ten euro. Loved it. Stay away from Dickens though unless you wanna pay 16€ for a drink

First day we got there was a festival taking place bang in the middle of the city centre. Music, dancing, people on stilts, face painting etc (basically had all generations covered). Walked towards the beach, had to wait five minutes to let several thousand people marching/protesting/chanting past, then another couple of minutes as tour de San Sebastian appeared to be taking place, then finally got to the promenade to be met with about 100 different stalls - more music, more face painting, hand puppets, poetry, artists, juggling, bloke doing kick ups, etc.

I never went to a single bar that charged more than about 2 euros for a drink other than the club on the beach.

Planning on going for the Jazz festival late July 2016. Combining it with the Euros a couple of weeks earlier.

• 1 year later...

My gf and I are going to Croatia in a couple of weeks, for 10 days. Gonna spend the last 4 nights at a music festival in Pula. Flying in and out of Rijeka. So we have five days of 'free' time, so we're thinking Plitvice for a night.. but not sure where else. People keep telling me Dubrovnik, but it is a bit too far South. Any recommendations guys would be much appreciated. xxx

Probably my favourite city in Europe. The beach, the festivals, the cider, the political activism, the pintxos. It's paradise for me.

Had a ball. Such an awesome place. Cheap wine, beautiful food, spent all saturday on the beach, and yesterday we did a little hike to a small fishing town called Pasaias. Definitely one of my (if not the) most fav cities in Europe.

• Upvote 1

My gf and I are going to Croatia in a couple of weeks, for 10 days. Gonna spend the last 4 nights at a music festival in Pula. Flying in and out of Rijeka. So we have five days of 'free' time, so we're thinking Plitvice for a night.. but not sure where else. People keep telling me Dubrovnik, but it is a bit too far South. Any recommendations guys would be much appreciated. xxx

Depends on what your after. Furthest north I been so far is Zadar. Thinking about Pula myself in a months time

Zadar, with Ugljan is easy enough.

But if you want to go further afield Split, Trogir, or islands accessible by ferry from Rijeka/Split are Bol, Brac, Korcula or Hvar.

• Upvote 1

Depends on what your after. Furthest north I been so far is Zadar. Thinking about Pula myself in a months time

Zadar, with Ugljan is easy enough.

But if you want to go further afield Split, Trogir, or islands accessible by ferry from Rijeka/Split are Bol, Brac, Korcula or Hvar.

Thank you... Will scope out. Which would you personally recommend from them 2 options?

Depends on what you're after.

Beach chic, ancient or modern history, cut off relaxing, how far you wanna travel, budget?

We like to do outdoorsy stuff, ancient history is good.. Good, cheap food and wine would be appreciated too.

We like to do outdoorsy stuff, ancient history is good.. Good, cheap food and wine would be appreciated too.

Zadar and Spilt (esp the latter) have good Roman ruins. Zadar will be cheaper and its interesting in its own right, but not a patch on Split

The further you get south the more expensive (sort of).

Hvar has good bars, but is pricey. Nice though

Trogir is a short tip from split. And worth a day, but pleasant for a few days If you want to relax in a small town

Korcula is lovely, nice historic town, lumbarda has a got a good sandy beach and its good for getting away from it, but a 4hr ferry from split

If you've never been and you're not doing Dubrovnik (which is a schlep from the north) I'd do Zadar (island trip for a night or so) or Split with a day I Trogir. I think Hvar, Brac, Bol or Korcula might be too much travelling time

• Upvote 1

Zadar and Spilt (esp the latter) have good Roman ruins. Zadar will be cheaper and its interesting in its own right, but not a patch on Split

The further you get south the more expensive (sort of).

Hvar has good bars, but is pricey. Nice though

Trogir is a short tip from split. And worth a day, but pleasant for a few days If you want to relax in a small town

Korcula is lovely, nice historic town, lumbarda has a got a good sandy beach and its good for getting away from it, but a 4hr ferry from split

If you've never been and you're not doing Dubrovnik (which is a schlep from the north) I'd do Zadar (island trip for a night or so) or Split with a day I Trogir. I think Hvar, Brac, Bol or Korcula might be too much travelling time

I'm gonna scope out Split tonight and consult with the missus. Thank you kindly RJ Fans.

I was going to drive round Italy with your ex.In light of the information above, she can fuck off now.

I would invite her out for a nice drive and a long walk.

Relaxing drive most of the day, stopping off quickly at a place or two.

Finally after 3 or 4 hours, pull over a long way down a country road and have a nice picnic with some wine and maybe even a quickie behind the bushes.

Then if she asks me about the walk, I'll hop in the car and fuck off.

Enjoy your walk, bitch!

• Upvote 1

Genoa gets a really bad rep from Italians (mainly those not living in Genoa) but I absolutely loved the place. The architecture is stunning, the port (at the right time of the year) is like an accessible version of Monaco, and they make the best pizzas in the country (and therefore the world).

And their Focaccia? Oh marone! Also the home of Pesto.

Cinque Terre is outstanding, to be fair.

Completely stunning place. Only downside is that a Brazilian dude tried to kiss my penis. probably won't happen to you to be fair.

Camogli is a beautiful little seaside village also.

This is part of Cinqueterre and I concur.

Thought I'd also quoted the bit about Pula in Croatia. I absolutely loved it there when back-packing there, wasn't there too long but stayed on the hostel on their main beach. There is a bar that serves dirt cheap Ice cream, beer and Pizza. It's a stone beach so maybe not as beautiful as the Dalmatian coast but full of it's own charm and many fine international back-packing boob-owning specimens, The centre of the town is totally dominated with an incredible ye olde ampitheatre which I believe hosts various events musical and otherwise, I didn't catch any while I was there. The Adriatic coast on both sides is very nice and it's pretty quick and easy to cruise from town to town along it.

As for cheap holidays minus UK bell-ends, most of Eastern Europe qualifies. Although some of the nations may not be coastal, a lot have stunning lakes (I went to Lake Ohrid in Macedonia recently - absolutely gorgeous, also heard great things about Bled in Slovenia and Plitvice in Croatia) you can have that lakeside feel often with less crowds. I've found taking a punt on anywhere in Eastern Europe has always worked out brilliantly, finding great little quirks, totally different food and really interesting people wanting to practise their English (including my fit Ukrainian wife). The one exception seems to be Slovakia, but I reckon I just need to try out their countryside, perhaps their lakes and then change my view, Bratislava however was underwhelming.

My mates always out in Slovakia. His girlfriends from there. They are close to the Ukrainian border and out of town a bit. The woods are full of boar and some bear. He loves it,had lunch with the local mafia bod too who knows the family. He goes out at xmas and helps with the slaughter of the pig for winter