You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This ice bucket challenge...

Elite

Just like every social media fad its run its course....every fucking idiot doing it.

How about just donating to charity anonymously like the old days, a fiver or tenner in the Sally Ann kettle.

Fucking charities these days have CEOs and marketing departments, its a bloody industry.

I sponsor a kid in Rwanda and a lad in Peru (I'll be honest the chick who called me from World Vision had a sexy voice and when she said Rwanda I was sold, let her know about those fucking Belgians as well) and always put some money in the Sally Ann kettle.

Here is a fucking challenge..... donate to a charity and don't tell anyone.

• Upvote 6

For too many of them, it's all about raising awareness of themselves rather than the charity or issue itself. I said in the rant thread that awareness of the real issue is a mere side effect of the publicity behind this campaign as it's now more about who did the challenge.

For too many of them, it's all about raising awareness of themselves rather than the charity or issue itself. I said in the rant thread that awareness of the real issue is a mere side effect of the publicity behind this campaign as it's now more about who did the challenge.

No one calls it Lou Gehrig's Disease anymore so I guess that is an accomplishment, that and all these pundits, commentators and politicians dumping ice water over their heads.

It even has an epic fail video on youtube.

If social media blew up the world would be a better place.

• Upvote 2

I sponsor a kid in Rwanda and a lad in Peru (I'll be honest the chick who called me from World Vision had a sexy voice and when she said Rwanda I was sold, let her know about those fucking Belgians as well) and always put some money in the Sally Ann kettle.

Here is a fucking challenge..... donate to a charity and don't tell anyone.

Just the one?  I sponsored two kids in Peru.  Worked out quite well (for me).

ReidConnolly600.jpg

• Upvote 5

My mate's been on the wagon for ages, but decided to treat himself to a bit of a blow-out last weekend.  In between nearly getting into a fight over nothing in a pub and getting into a blazing row at home, ending up on the shitlist with both his wife and his infant daughter, he did a spontaneous ice-bucket challenge in another pub, not realising that the fucking bucket still had a couple of wine bottles in it.

He's back on the wagon now.

• Upvote 2

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2014/aug/21/ice-bucket-challenge-celebrity-charity-olly-murs?CMP=fb_gu

Never one to shy away from the big issues, two years ago this fearless Lost in Showbiz correspondent threw his hat in the Pulitzer ring by proposing that in a world where wildly diverse marketing budgets and obsessive fanbases decimated any fairness in the Top 40 singles chart, musicians should be required to record the sound of themselves defecating into a yellow bucket. The varying iTunes sales of these audio recordings would act as a control element, allowing the Official Charts Company to recalibrate their algorithm in order to compile a chart that truly reflected the popularity of subsequent releases.

Sadly, while listeners to the Script's new single may argue otherwise, the idea never took off. But in the past week an ostensibly charitable idea, also using buckets, has introduced a similar control element to the world of showbiz. (If you've been off social media, the ALS ice bucket challenge isNeknominate without the hangover-slash-death: pour cold water on your head, post evidence on social media, and nominate others to do the same. Then pat yourself on the back – you've done your bit for motor neurone disease.)

You can see right to the heart of a celebrity's essence according to how they choose to interpret the challenge's simple format. So we see David Beckham being not very interesting in a shirtless kind of way (with a bucket of water on his head). We see Lady Gaga being self-consciously "artistic"(with a bucket of water on her head). We see Dave Grohl dressed as a woman in a 70s movie homage (with a bucket of water on his head). We see Lorraine Kelly shrieking (with a bucket of water on her head).

Such is the power of this great celeb leveller that even those who haven't taken the challenge reveal more than they might hope about their persona: largely harmless pop clown Olly Murs chirpily tweeted his fans on Wednesday morning, asking to be nominated. "Haha someone nominate me," he mused. "I'd be well up for the #IceBucketChallenge."

Perhaps Olly also hangs around the baked goods aisle in Sainsbury's once a year, informing shoppers that he would be "well up for" a Fireman Sam birthday cake. Olly's desire to get involved is admirable in its own slightly Partridge-esque way, and the "it's fun"/"it's for charity" double whammy would make it hard for any celebrity to refuse a challenge. But,watching Sarah Jessica Parker spectacularly overreact to most of one thimbleful of water missing her head, one feels that uptake in the ice bucket challenge could have been just as swift if there were no charity element whatsoever. Many contributions now seem to represent little more than a globe-straddling wet T-shirt contest; the Mirror summed up in one headline – "Nicole Scherzinger takes ice bucket challenge and shows off super-abs at the same time" – how quickly the drive had morphed.

It's very easy to sit at a desk criticising charitable acts. It's also easy to bake a potato; that doesn't mean it's wrong. And taking part in the ice bucket challenge doesn't mean you're charitable. Celebrities actually want to receive what in the normal run of things would be considered a forfeit, to prove they are game for a laugh, and so they can be part of the phenomenon (or be seen to be part of the phenomenon). Perhaps deploying the yellow bucket from that mooted singles chart experiment might have been a better test of commitment.

They are creating awareness of motor neurone disease, of course, and that's great. The ALS Association will surely spend all that awareness wisely. Charlie Sheen, notably, did make a generous donation: in our celebrity control experiment we saw a man emptying banknotes totalling $10,000 on to his head, explaining that ice (by which he seems to mean awareness) would melt.

His seemed an impressive donation, but it's the least he could have done – almost literally. Sheen made $30m a year when he was in Two and a Half Men, took a $100m payoff when it all went wonky and stands to receive a windfall of $200m later this year when Anger Management tapes its 100th episode. His house is probably festooned with banknote-stuffed buckets.

For moral clarity, let's look – for perhaps the first and last time in the history of ethics – to Jackass scrotum stapler Steve-O, who this week posted a blog noting that while $15m had been raised so far, the star power (and spending power) involved in the fundraising meant that the sum was so paltry as to be a "tragedy". "I'm nowhere near as rich or famous as many of the folks you've seen pour water on their heads," he added, "but I cared enough to get educated and donate $1,000 of my hard-earned money."

Leaving aside for one moment the notion that Jackass japes such as inserting one's penis into a variety of inanimate objects in any way constitutes hard work, his point is robust: $15m may be better than $0, but if you count the column inches and content window pixels – Bill Gates, Charlie Sheen and Dave Grohl have clocked up 20m views on YouTube – this would appear to represent a minuscule conversion rate. Children in Need raised almost five times that last year in the UK alone, and they only had McBusted.

At the time of writing, the ice bucket challenge is still in full swing; when you read this it could all be over, having disappeared from headlines as quickly as it started making them. Like Vernon Kay's primetime televisual career, it's hard to imagine how, why or when this cultural incident might end, but end it one day will. This throws up its own questions: who will be the very last celebrity to take part? Will they know it's the end? With the ice bucket challenge out of the way, will Facebook crash as users upload a terrifying backlog of cat videos? And, on a purely philosophical level, if a bucket of water falls on David Cameron's head and there is nobody there to write a showbiz news story on it, will it really make a splash?

• Upvote 3

No one calls it Lou Gehrig's Disease anymore so I guess that is an accomplishment, that and all these pundits, commentators and politicians dumping ice water over their heads.

It even has an epic fail video on youtube.

If social media blew up the world would be a better place.

What were the odds on Lou Gehrig catching Lou Gehrig's disease?

• Upvote 2