You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

He'll always be a legend but he's a massive drop in quality from what's ahead of him, he's still a young lad and deserves to be first choice somewhere.

The problem is any striker you bring in is also going to be a massive drop in quality so what's the point in selling one and then signing another with exactly the same problem? If he's happy with a squad role and can get more games (after all earlier this season he was getting his fair share) then I say keep him on. Imagine him and Ings in the same team with their confidence nice and high? They would certainly add a share of goals. Let's not make the same mistake twice.

7 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

The problem is any striker you bring in is also going to be a massive drop in quality so what's the point in selling one and then signing another with exactly the same problem? If he's happy with a squad role and can get more games (after all earlier this season he was getting his fair share) then I say keep him on. Imagine him and Ings in the same team with their confidence nice and high? They would certainly add a share of goals. Let's not make the same mistake twice.

I tried to word it politely but now you're gonna make me say it, what I really meant is that he's shite.

You can have backup strikers who aren't as good as the ones ahead of them but they should be able to do a job, I'd absolutely dread it if any of our front three were injured for any length of time.

We need versatile backup attacker(s) that can not only act as a stand in, but also make those in front of him worried about their place if they're not performing.

• Upvote 2

Divock can stay if he wants. In a season or two, maybe Brewster will be good enough at this level to challenge and be the step up in quality people yearn for. But I'll say it now, if Brewster proves to be that step up and if his path is blocked by Sadio, Mo, Bobby or A N Other, he'll be off in search of regular game time.

The step up in quality type strikers aint going to sit on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

We need versatile backup attacker(s) that can not only act as a stand in, but also make those in front of him worried about their place if they're not performing.

Utopian dream. There isnt a back up striker in the world,  never mind more than one, who'd play that part and because of their quality would make our front three worried about their place.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Utopian dream. There isnt a back up striker in the world,  never mind more than one, who'd play that part and because of their quality would make our front three worried about their place.

Ok so lets just stick with a third rate striker with attitude problems.

31 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Because his attitude is shit. he doesn't work hard, he doesn't use his attributes. You see Mo coming on today and he's running about like its his last game on earth. 

I thought Divock might push on after last seasons heroics, but he seems to have settled for 'thats the best its gonna get'. he is strong, decent in the air and has a good shot on him, he's not slow either but he sits on the peripheral of games and doesn't like to get himself into the mix.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ok so lets just stick with a third rate striker with attitude problems.

OK so why dont you chuck in the names of a couple of step up in quality strikers who'll sit on the bench, play a game here and there and make our front 3 worried about their places.

You make it sound Like Klopp doesnt know what he's doing.

Just now, Lee909 said:

We still prentding you can't have 4 very good strikers for 3 places in a team that plays 60 games a season. 

180 starts across the frontline in a year, plenty to go round and keep everyone happy

Oh come on, do you think the manager is pretending that?

Just now, dockers_strike said:

OK so why dont you chuck in the names of a couple of step up in quality strikers who'll sit on the bench, play a game here and there and make our front 3 worried about their places.

You make it sound Like Klopp doesnt know what he's doing.

Why the fuck do people like you trot that same shit out every week? Who the fuck said Jurgen didn't know what he was doing? Who said that?

We have three players up top who are 9/10 performers, problem is Divock is a 5 or 6/10.

Signing Werner would have been a start, he can fight for a place in the front three, and lets not kid ourselves here he would have got plenty of minutes.

We can't go about with the attitude of this 11 is too good theres simply no point in trying to improve it. FFS we had the best player to ever grace the club up front in the 70s and 80s with our most prolific and we still went out and brought in some quality additions to mix it up a bit.

• Upvote 1

Any half decent striker should be able to score a few goals in our team.

Divock is a half decent striker who has, fortunately, scored important goals for us as well, to the point where in many eyes he has built up a fair few credits.

Problem is if one of the front three get injured or if they’re misfiring or out of sorts, we don’t have the same level of quality to replace them, and Divock won’t always produce the goals when they’re needed.

Given the number of games we play, it should be possible to find a good fourth striker and give them a sufficient number of games to keep them happy, while, hopefully, maintaining a level in the team.

It’s called managing.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Why the fuck do people like you trot that same shit out every week? Who the fuck said Jurgen didn't know what he was doing? Who said that?

We have three players up top who are 9/10 performers, problem is Divock is a 5 or 6/10.

Signing Werner would have been a start, he can fight for a place in the front three, and lets not kid ourselves here he would have got plenty of minutes.

We can't go about with the attitude of this 11 is too good theres simply no point in trying to improve it. FFS we had the best player to ever grace the club up front in the 70s and 80s with our most prolific and we still went out and brought in some quality additions to mix it up a bit.

So that's a no, you cannot then?

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Because his attitude is shit. he doesn't work hard, he doesn't use his attributes. You see Mo coming on today and he's running about like its his last game on earth. 

I thought Divock might push on after last seasons heroics, but he seems to have settled for 'thats the best its gonna get'. he is strong, decent in the air and has a good shot on him, he's not slow either but he sits on the peripheral of games and doesn't like to get himself into the mix.

Divock played against Barcelona at 3-0 down and helped turn that around to 4-3. Divock scored the second goal against Spurs in the Champions League final, effectively securing it. Divock scored a hat-trick against Everton, including a goal that was probably my favourite goal of the season. Divock also scored a goal today in a team that looked like it was slightly losing belief in it's ability to get back into it. It's also worth noting that he scored that when Bobby had stripped off to come of as a second half sub.

Divock's attitude is not shit, but I do agree he should work harder but personally I think he does work smart. Perhaps he's not good enough for your team, but he's definitely earned his place in mine.

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

Divock played against Barcelona at 3-0 down and helped turn that around to 4-3. Divock scored the second goal against Spurs in the Champions League final, effectively securing it. Divock scored a hat-trick against Everton, including a goal that was probably my favourite goal of the season. Divock also scored a goal today in a team that looked like it was slightly losing belief in it's ability to get back into it. It's also worth noting that he scored that when Bobby had stripped off to come of as a second half sub.

Divock's attitude is not shit, but I do agree he should work harder but personally I think he does work smart. Perhaps he's not good enough for your team, but he's definitely earned his place in mine.

Fucking hell that was a mini hot streak over a few games. Regardless with how important those goals where in the long term, he doesn't contribute enough. I think Jurgen likes him because he's just prepared to sit on the bench without any complaints. Thats his biggest attribute to this team.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Oh come on, do you think the manager is pretending that?

I'm not talking about Kloppim talking about people on here going on about no player will join to sit on the bench, or it will puss our front three off. 

We have been very lucky none of them have had a significant injury in 3 years, expecting that to carry on when they get about 2 weeks off this year isn't the best idea. Klopp obviously wanted another one or he wouldn't have done the hard work on Werner. 

Origi hasn't really developed from the player that joined. He often looks terrible when he starts, he can occasionally come on and change a game but overall he's been pretty poor this year when called on. Hopefully Miamino steps up but he's showed little but small glimpses. Elliot isn't ready, Brewster who knows at the top level and Jones isn't a forward.