You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If Roy Keane played for us

Kevin D

Would you like Keane  

60 members have voted

1. 1. So?

• Yes. He'd be our cunt.
    • No. He is a prick.

Fuck this argument. Gerrard has done worse but he's been snidey about it whereas Keane was honest about his intentions? Bullshit that is.

Who said he'd been "snidey"?

He's made a worse tackle than the Keane one, for me. He just didn't admit afterwards that he went into it with with the intent to hurt the opposition enforcer. 

Hardly controversial.

If Kenny was still our manager in 93', as has already been said, Keane would've probably ended up here, along with Shearer. Having said that, we wouldn't have had the likes of Dicks and Ruddock anywhere near the club so none of us would have the pleasure of seeing all the jarg hardmen who ripped the heart out of the club getting the shit kicked out of them by Keane.

Keane and Redknapp would have been phased in to replace Whelan and McMahon. That's my opinion anyway and we would be probably on title number 27 or 28 right now, while the Mancs would've won far far less in the past 24 years. Keane admitted that while he grew up a Tottenham fan in Cork, he would have walked over broken glass to play for us and without our decline, he would have picked us over the Mancs imo.

I'm unsure about Keane. On the one hand, I think he's a twat that picks on the wrong people like Mick McCarthy and seems a dour cunt, the very polar opposite of any Irishman that I know. He also seems to love the sound of his own voice. On the other, I see a guy that is anti-establisment and I'm drawn to people like that, especially when he takes on the United pr machine and Fergie.

A mate of mine did his coaching badges with him a few years ago and said he's a top fella who wasn't in the least bit big headed with everyone. He said he invited him around to his club and he actually came and spent the day with the kids and was bang on with everyone around the club. He said he actually had a great sense of humour.

• Upvote 2

If Kenny was still our manager in 93', as has already been said, Keane would've probably ended up here, along with Shearer. Having said that, we wouldn't have had the likes of Dicks and Ruddock anywhere near the club so none of us would have the pleasure of seeing all the jarg hardmen who ripped the heart out of the club getting the shit kicked out of them by Keane.

Keane and Redknapp would have been phased in to replace Whelan and McMahon. That's my opinion anyway and we would be probably on title number 27 or 28 right now, while the Mancs would've won far far less in the past 24 years. Keane admitted that while he grew up a Tottenham fan in Cork, he would have walked over broken glass to play for us and without our decline, he would have picked us over the Mancs imo.

dream.gif

We'd have had a couple of more league titles (at least) and I'd have loved him.  The phrase he's a cunt but he's our cunt comes to mind.  We've had plenty of players who'd we'd despise if they played for someone else, including our number 7.

Every single one of us would have loved him.  In the same way every single Utd or Everton fan would have loved Gerrard or Suarez.

It's what being a football fan is. We'll go out of our way to justify nearly every horrible action one of "ours" does.  But slaughter a player for another team for even the tiniest indiscretion.

It's great.

Considering the forum we've been posting on for the last 6 years - the one where any number of innocents, club legends and non-entities have been called every name going - that strikes me as an odd thing to say.

For my part, I reckon I would have flip-flopped. Started off liking him, then really growing to think he was amazing, before the extent of his narcissism became clear. After which, like when he was at the high point of criticising young players in our team, I think I'd have grown to hate him, but mellowed after he left and be generally okay with him now. I think that's how it would have happened, anyway.

• Upvote 3

Keane would of been amazing for us, genuinely the only manc player that i really wish we signed because as others have said he would of put a rocket up the arse of the mid 90's spice boy culture. I think he would of loved Kenny as well, he admitted as much before we played in either the league cup final or the FA cup final in Kenny's second tenure, i can't remember which one.

But he said "Kenny is the kind of manager that fights for his players" and that he loves that about him. I think he was more responsible for Manchester United's success than Gigg's, Scholes, Beckham any of them, they were followers, he was a proper leader, it goes without saying that we would of loved him and he would of probably loved us.

• Upvote 1

Considering the forum we've been posting on for the last 6 years - the one where any number of innocents, club legends and non-entities have been called every name going - that strikes me as an odd thing to say.

For my part, I reckon I would have flip-flopped. Started off liking him, then really growing to think he was amazing, before the extent of his narcissism became clear. After which, like when he was at the high point of criticising young players in our team, I think I'd have grown to hate him, but mellowed after he left and be generally okay with him now. I think that's how it would have happened, anyway.

I agree actually. I've taken the premise of the question to be with Keane at his best. During those years I think we'd have all loved him.

Most Mancs I know think he's a bit of a dick now. I've no doubt quite a few of us would have ended up thinking that too.

If Roy Keane played for us we'd have won number 19 (and beyond) a long time ago. 

The man is a winner. With this type you have to take the rough with the smooth. Obviously there are issues there, but on the pitch he would have got an extra 5-10% out of some talented Liverpool teams in the 1990s who needed that extra ingredient to turn the talent into the biggest prizes. 

• Upvote 1

If Roy Keane played for us we'd have won number 19 (and beyond) a long time ago. 

The man is a winner. With this type you have to take the rough with the smooth. Obviously there are issues there, but on the pitch he would have got an extra 5-10% out of some talented Liverpool teams in the 1990s who needed that extra ingredient to turn the talent into the biggest prizes. 

And thats exactly why we bought Paul Ince....and the rest, as they say, is history

Roy Keane was a better player than Paul Ince. Also, the Paul Ince that came to Liverpool was on the way down. Had we bought Roy Keane from Forest and had him for a decade, he would have been a great player for us and - though we can't know for sure - we'd have won no.19 and more besides.