You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Lovren and Bertrand? Hmmm, I like to stay positive, but if we spunk £30m on those two we have serious problems.

I agree Bertrand is the very definition of average and Lovren isn't much better. We're better off with Moreno and Alderweireld, even if were overpaying for Moreno.

I'm with El Dangerous here. I'm prepared to go on a 24 style rampage, where by I hijack some sort of device which will mercilessly kill thousands of innocent people if we spend 50% of Suarez money on Lovren and Bertrand.

I'm considering holding a shopping centre hostage after just reading all the tabloid reports.

• Upvote 1

I agree Bertrand is the very definition of average and Lovren isn't much better. We're better off with Moreno and Alderweireld, even if were overpaying for Moreno.

Have you seen much of Alderweield? He's not great, in fact he looks a bit of a liability, atletico didn't concede a goal in CL final till he came on, wasn't a coincidence

Yep, Bertrand's bang average, but I actually think Lovren's pretty decent, it's just the scope of our transfers that's starting to worry me a bit.

We've got a global scouting network, yet the names popping up are a CB we played against and a youngster Rodgers knows. I'm not one that just wants foreign players from far flung leagues - I think Lallana is a sound buy - but are the pickings really that slim that we'd drop nigh on £25m+ on those two?

There's a long way to go, but I really do hope we don't go on a similar type of spending spree like Spurs did last year just before they sold Bale, when they didnt really replace their star player but instead replaced him with thus far unfulfilled potential and overpaid for slightly above average players.

20 bloody million for Lovren is a joke.

I just dont get whats going on at the moment.

We wont stretch a few more million for Moreno but will for Lallana.

If you are paying £20ml for a CB you have to be expecting to get one of the best in the world. I just dont see Lovren being that great. I like him as he is a good player but he isnt £20ml good imo

It is a little weird. We won't be messed about and we have to be smart when it comes to haggling for top players but bins full of poo like aspas we just bang 8 million down, we pay top dollar for average.

Is it how the yanks do business, do they include wages as part of the fee so the likes of Ayre struggles like fuck matching the fee with the wage of top players and sticking to a strict budget where with mediocre players their wages and demands are small the leeway on the fee is a lot more relaxed. So with aspas its you have 10 million all in including wages not a penny more you hear... Find that middle ground. I wish I was more eloquent theres a much clearer way to say that shit,

Lovren isn't worthy of being in the top 15 most expensive defenders of all time, the fee is not proportional to the talent. I could of missed some players out but he'd definitely be in the top 20. If they've rejected the 20 million then they expect even more.

1. David Luiz PSG £50 million

2. Lillian Thuram £36.5 million

3. Thiago Silva £35 million

4. Rio Ferdinand £33 million

5. Luke Shaw £31 million

6  Dani Alves £30 million

7. Marquinhos £27 million

8. Fabio Coentrao £27 million

9. Alessandro Nesta £27 million

10. David Luiz Chelsea £26.5 million

11. Pepe £26.5 million

12. Joleon Lescott £23 million

13. Sergio Ramos £22 million

14. Ricardo Carvalho £20 million

15. Dejan Lovren £20 million

That puts it into perspetive. He might be great for us next to sakho but its a pricey risk. We have got ourselves into a position to be more ambitious and we should be going after players who have proven class! Sanchez talks aside, we havent been linked with (or signed) anyone i wouldnt expect us to be looking at if we had finished 6th

• Upvote 3

If we pay that much for Lovren we are insane.

PSG have just spent a fortune on Luiz, if we go and offer them 20 or 25 million for their 3rd choice CB they will take it.  Marquinhos is comfortable in either CB position, excellent on the ball, pacy, tall (ish) and available.

It might be difficult to convince him to come but if there are players out there like that available for the same price then we are out of our minds if we go for Lovren instead.

• Upvote 3

Do people seriously think the likes of Marquinhos and Vertonghen would be better for us than Lovren?

I'm not seeing all that many dominant, commanding centre halfs who are proven defensive leaders. Lovren may not be as flashy as some other guys but he was in charge of a pretty mean defence last year and apparently is a good organiser etc. which is what we've been missing most.

I don't believe that we just bid 20m for him straight off the bat either, especially when every source was saying they want 15m. Any excuse to have a moan though, I guess.

• Upvote 4

So we sign

Lambert 4m

Can       10m

Llanana  25m

Ogreni 10m

Shaqiri 15m or Markovic 25m

Lovren 20m

Moreno 20m

Total 105-115m

we were thinking we had a net spend of around 60m so that's 45-55m of Suarez's 70m (IMO) gone

who are we signing as a replacement? Sanchez isn't a replacement is he and he would take the rest of that money unless it's him or Shaqiri/Markovic leaving us 25m for a striker - am I missing us being linked with a replacement because we need one.

We could also raise another 20m in sales via Borini, et al.

Do people seriously think the likes of Marquinhos and Vertonghen would be better for us than Lovren?

I'm not seeing all that many dominant, commanding centre halfs who are proven defensive leaders. Lovren may not be as flashy as some other guys but he was in charge of a pretty mean defence last year and apparently is a good organiser etc. which is what we've been missing most.

I don't believe that we just bid 20m for him straight off the bat either, especially when every source was saying they want 15m. Any excuse to have a moan though, I guess.

Sakho is a dominant commanding centre half. 

Agger and Skrtel are better than Lovren.  Marquinhos is quality.  Good on the ball, quick can tackle he'd work well with Sakho though he'll probably move to Barca.  Vertonghen wouldn't be worth the money and Agger and Skrtel are better than him as well.

Sakho is a dominant commanding centre half.

Agger and Skrtel are better than Lovren. Marquinhos is quality good on the ball, quick can tackle he'd work well with Sakho though he'll probably move to Barca. Vertonghen wouldn't be worth the money and Agger and Skrtel are better than him as well.

How good can Marquinhos possibly be if he was bought last summer for 30 million and replaced 12 months later with David fucking Luiz?

Who knows how these fuckers minds work or how they're going to set up next Season.  They've rejected €40million bid already from Barca which would have given them a profit on him.  Lovren was seemingly no good at £8mill last Season yet all of a sudden £20million is fine and dandy.  Football a funny old game.  Sack the fucking scouts!

Also Sakho is an organiser he does it for France and did it for PSG.  We may have not seen it for Liverpool yet but once he's injury free and settled I expect him to sort that out.

• Upvote 1