You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The unpopular opinion thread 2014 - amnesty applies.

Kevin D

Yeah but you could say that about us, if Shevchenko hits that ball anywhere else from 3 metres out it's game over, but he didn't. 

That was an incredible save but the one I always look back on is the brilliant save Dudek made from a Schevchenko free kick at the start of the second half.

It always scares me that one as if it had gone in it would have been 4-0 and not only game over but god knows what the score could have ended up as.

• Upvote 1

While we're saying nice things about Manc players, I thought David Beckham's performance for England against Greece in the World Cup qualifying decider was phenomenal.

It seems to be received wisdom on here that England's poor performance in that game was because Beckham fucked up the team's shape by running around so much. I think that's nonsense. The rest of the players simply didn't show up, they were all completely flat apart from Sheringham when he came on as sub. It takes a lot more than one player covering lots of ground and disrupting the formation to make so many others perform so poorly.

No. You're completely wrong. It was also noted by quite a few professionals that England lost its shape because Beckham wanted to get himself on as many cameras in the stadium as possible. It gets glossed over because he scored a last gasp freekick but he generally acted like the fame hungry whore his missus turned him into.

No. You're completely wrong. It was also noted by quite a few professionals that England lost its shape because Beckham wanted to get himself on as many cameras in the stadium as possible. It gets glossed over because he scored a last gasp freekick but he generally acted like the fame hungry whore his missus turned him into.

I'm not wrong. It's not possible to be wrong on an amnesty thread. Even if it were, I wouldn't be wrong.

I was nearly in tears. Me and my uncle had bought in some Bratwurst and I'd not long been singing Deutschland Deutschland Uber Alles in the back yard.

I was in an Irish Bar in Brussels and all these pinstriped cunts were going berserk.  I had to abandon my drink and my colleagues and go next door to the American bar.  I was absolutely gutted.  

Roy Evans gets unfair stick for his teams being unable to defend.

In 96-97 the back three / five was really solid, it was only David James's flapping that cost us the title. In the two seasons before that we had the second best goals against total in the league, better than the champions on both occasions.

On a related note, I thought Jason McAteer was brilliant in that side and was gutted when we sold him.

In 96-97 the back three / five was really solid, it was only David James's flapping that cost us the title. In the two seasons before that we had the second best goals against total in the league, better than the champions on both occasions.

On a related note, I thought Jason McAteer was brilliant in that side and was gutted when we sold him.

McCateer was boss at Bolton but we fucked him up by playing him as a wing back.

To be fair the Evans era was frustrating but it produced some truly incredible matches. Fowler's five minute demolition of arsenal, the Newcastle matches and the McManaman goals against Celtic and Villa spring to mind. It was an exciting league too, there were a lot of other sides I liked watching back then and some top foreign players coming to England, Bergkamp at Arsenal, Coventry, pre Mourinho Chelsea, Juninho at Middlesbrough.

McCateer was boss at Bolton but we fucked him up by playing him as a wing back.

To be fair the Evans era was frustrating but it produced some truly incredible matches. Fowler's five minute demolition of arsenal, the Newcastle matches and the McManaman goals against Celtic and Villa spring to mind. It was an exciting league too, there were a lot of other sides I liked watching back then and some top foreign players coming to England, Bergkamp at Arsenal, Coventry, pre Mourinho Chelsea, Juninho at Middlesbrough.

I thought McAteer was superb as a wing back, got the balance between attack and defence just right, full of running and whipped in some great crosses.

I loved that era too. Really liked Newcastle, Keegan is a bit of a laughing stock nowadays but taking them from the brink of relegation to the third tier to within a whisker of the title in four years was really impressive and won't be replicated any time soon. Ditto Kenny with Blackburn. Other non-LFC stuff I remember fondly is Leicester getting promoted and winning the League Cup (my local team while at uni), Ravanelli banging the goals in for Middlesbrough (housemate was a big Boro fan so I watched them a lot), Wanchope's crazy legs, Kinkladze's mazy runs, Hartson and Kitson signing for West Ham and keeping them up when they looked dead and buried.

Wasn't that long ago but it already feels like a different era. The full-on corporatisation of the game hadn't yet happened, nor had the massive post-Bosman wage increases so the players weren't quite the bunch of spoilt flash cunts they are now.

Evans had ditched the 3-5-2 system towards the end of the 1996/97 and the problem for McAteer was that he wasn't defensive minded enough to be a right back, and didn't have enough guile to play as a right sided midfielder, and that's why he found himself out of the side so often towards the end of his Liverpool career. His main asset was his stamina which made him well-suited to a wing-back role as he didn't need to be particularly defensive or creative. I agree that in 1995/96 he was excellent in that role, none more so than in that Newcastle game. His assist for Collymore's first goal is one of the finest crosses you will see anywhere.

I quite like the new Pope.

Prince George looks really fat.

Bruce Forsyth's appeal is a total mystery, utterly talentless imbecile.

I'd like to kick Lisa Riley to death.

Further to my recent post about Tommy Cooper and Morecombe and Wise being shit, I'd go as far as saying virtually all older British comedy is shit and the British having a good sense of humour is a total myth. On the Buses was on before and it's horrific.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree on Morecambe & Wise, Section, but the Two Ronnies were ace.

To spin an old Shankly line, Ronnie Barker would have been boss at any time in any era wearing an raincoat.

Ronnie Barker was brilliant. especially in Porridge, which for me was Genius.