You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

1 minute ago, Jennings said:

I don't like the idea of top players leaving on a free. Would rather we got something to put toward the next player that Jurgen is going to make into a superstar.

But Salah has all the power and if he's leaving for money, why would he let us get our hands on tens of millions of it? There's going to be more and more of this with the very top players, because they know there'll always be demand for them. 

It's never good for a campaign to have a key player doing his last lap. Keegan's last season now looks very nice, with a fairy tale ending, but the reality was different. By a series of flukes, as a tiny kid at the time I got taken to lots of away and home games, usually sitting close to the pitch, and I remember being shocked, as such a young fan, to see and hear Keegan in such a foul mood for many games. Some in the Kop were giving him grief for having announced he was off, he hated Joey Jones for being unable to put the ball just where he wanted it like Alec Lindsay had done, and if we had a lead in the second half he'd content himelf with a trademark pivot and collapse to win free kicks and wind the minutes down. And while people talk about Kevin's infectious good moods, his bad moods were just as infectious. 

It's become way worse now with the huge media coverage and social media chatter. Good games and bad will all add to the saga. But it's just part of the industry these days. If you can get the right replacement, sell them; if you can't, get all you can from their last hurrah. Salah's a pro, he'll do okay for us - and don't forget, with no World Cup for him, he'll be one of the fresher forwards for the run-in.

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

But Salah has all the power and if he's leaving for money, why would he let us get our hands on tens of millions of it? There's going to be more and more of this with the very top players, because they know there'll always be demand for them. 

Exactly. It's why he said last week he'll definitely be here next season. It wasn't a line to give the fans a boost, it was a statement to the owners about not getting any ideas to sell him.

He's going to get as big a signing on fee as he can. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

But he's not a doctor, pilot, nurse, or whatever else, he's a footballer and football is a business where it's incredibly lucrative to be good at football and, like actors or bankers or CEO in business, they don't judge themselves based off the earnings of doctors and nurses, they base it off what their relative value is inside of the sector they're in and against those who are of the same level. Bottom line is, we either pay him or he goes somewhere else. We shouldn't make that call based on whether he is earning more than a nurse, but if he brings value and if we can get better value elsewhere. Football is long since been fucked, because of the money floating around. Not giving out pay rises based on that at this point is slightly 'closing the stable door after the horse died of flogging years ago'. 

Agree with every word. He's one of the best in his field, he's seeing people with far less ability, drive and success getting paid far more than he is.

As you said, it's all relative too. We've been lucky to have his best years, he's been lucky to have Klopp as his manager for his best years. I hope we can get a new contract sorted, if not, so be it.  If he wants to go to City and tarnish his legacy, nothing we can do.

Whatever happens now we will have had all his best years.

Assuming he stays this coming season i'd say that after than it will be all downhill for him from there anyway, he'll be 31 by time he leaves us and we will be evolving again with a younger, fresher front line.

Klopp and his team have got this.

Scummy negotiating from him and his agent to eliminate any possibility that he doesn't get a massive payday, either eventually from us, or from a free transfer. This and his "I'm staying next season" press conference.

Par for the course these days. If clubs and players can't get what they want, they try to fuck each other over with these shite negotiating mind games.

Wherever Salah and Mane end up they won’t be the same players as they are at Liverpool, I suspect they won’t revert to the players they were before Liverpool because they are class but it’s not like Mascherano and Alonso leaving because they’re far too good for the state the team is in, as long as Klopp is around we’ll be alright.

We need to get the idea of replacing them like for like out of our heads too. We certainly won’t be singing world class players otherwise we’d resign Mane and Salah. It’ll be looking for players similar to Salah and Mane before they signed for Liverpool.

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Agreed. Even if gets a 30m signing on fee and 300k/week and a 3 year contract, that is 75m in 3 years. 

No way we are paying that for a 31 year old.

Yet if we buy Nunez as example, he'd cost upwards of 60m, would demand at least 200k per week, so would cost us maybe £100m for 4 years. If he's great he's says thanks and fucks off to Madrid on a free and if he's not he's here in 3 years looking like keita. 

Might break into his house and tell him I'm Allah.

"Allah loves wonderous diversity little one, but his favourite colour is crimson red like the blood of a ram slain in tribute to myself. Stayest thou in the city of the great river and two temples lest you forgoest 72 virgins. For certain."

o3Hkq3h9oei0d6oZzXoFgqGu7u3e6M.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

We really don't have much luck with our 'stars' do we? Torres, Suarez, Salah. Regardless of trophies, support, ambition, sooner or later they all fuck us in the ass.

Torres, while he fucked us by going to Chelsea, had a legitimate gripe; we were really shite at the time, and a mess. 

Suarez was just a cunt who was always out for himself. He tried manufacturing moves almost every summer after he got here.

Salah is indeed disappointing, after the club and Klopp helped make him a star. All he's doing is trying to get a payday, either by forcing us to give it to him with this shite "I'll stay in the Premier League" threat, or by ensuring he gets to leave on a free next year. But to be fair, it's just business. We have to start looking at it that way.

I'd genuinely let him rot in the reserves (if we still had a reserves) rather than let him run down his contract.

Every time he fluffs a chance the fans will be on his case and the whole thing will destroy dressing room unity, which, more than most clubs, is an absolute cornerstone of Klopp's reds.

It'd send a good message too. Let's see how him and his gobshite agent find it when he's getting no footy.

• Upvote 1

Suarez is also South American and Real Madrid or Barcelona are always the end destination at some point. He did also score 198 goals in six seasons, win four league titles, and the Champions league. 

Obviously trying to go to Arsenal was...well...different.

• Upvote 1

Lads he's seeing out his contract what more do you want ? Why all the agnst ? Come back to this thread next year when he secures another golden boot and praise him or castigate him if he does a Christensen and refuses to play matches in case he gets injured . I predict it will be the former . Either way he will be a club legend he has already done enough . I would go as far as to say he is a model professional. Note Pogba left today now there was a complete and utter waste of space. Are we really comparing MO's actions to that clown ? Behave. 

• Upvote 1