You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing sell or keep?

Sell Downing in the Summer or Keep him  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Sell Downing in the Summer or Keep him

• Sell him
    • Keep him
    • Sell him only for a big transfer fee

So do we keep Stewie in the summer or sell him?

I have to say for the first time since he's been here that I'd keep him if he carry's on playing like he has been. Plus I'm not sure we'd improve on him for the money ie a Tom Ince although we'd save a bit in wages.

Having said that if we are going to sell him in the next few years then it should be this summer due to age/contract/form.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also need to consider the wages he is on. I suspect that is around 70k a week. If he is a squad player next season, that is too high for a squad player.

We have shown there is great value around getting Sturridge and Coutino in January, two players who look like they can get goals and assists, something Downing has struggled with only getting 3 league goals and 3 league assists in 56 games.

I think we should use the opportunity that he is playing well to sell him and help recoup as much money as we can, even if it means we have to pay off some of his wages, it will be some saving for the club.

Ayre / FSG are really FFP focussed and I can't see them wanting squad players on big wages.

If he's on massive wages then sell. If we can get nearly 70% of what we paid for him, sell. I don't think he's on big wages and we won't get 50% of our transfer fee back on him, so keep. He still has legs, can still put a good cross in and can cover the left back position when needed.

If I had been asked sixth months ago, my answer would have been a big sell but changed my mind, unless a ridiculous offer came in we should keep.

I mean one like we made. Some thought it harsh of Brendan but it seems to have spurred him on, getting goals and looking better and I would keep. Fair play.

Downing has started 31 games this season and he has got 5 goals and 5 assists, thats either a goal or an assists every 3 games.

Goals:

1.Suarez - 29 goals

2. Gerrard - 9 goals

3. Downing - 5 goals

3. Shelvey - 5 goals

3. Sturridge - 5 goals

6. Henderson - 3 goals

6. Sahin - 3 goals

Assists:

1. Gerrard - 12 assists

2. Suarez- 6 assists

3. Downing - 5 assists

3. Henderson - 5 assists

5. Enrique - 4 assists

5. Johnson - 4 assists

Wouldn't sell unless a real offer came in, like £10m+. I felt that this week was a huge fixture for us and he played a blinder, not only did he turn up for a big game for once, but he backed his teammates up and got stuck in.

He's part of the squad now, a functioning part, which we shouldn't throw away while we have other positions to fill that are much higher priorities. Next year I hope Assaidi is in a position to get more involved, Sterling to back up with a more balanced run and maybe an Ibe debut at some point. If we can get Ince for cheap then great, but I'd rather he was an addition than a replacement.

Let's focus on sorting the defence.

Yesterday's performance was the type he was putting in whenever I saw him playing for Villa, it was based upon these that I favoured him over Ashley Young when the debate was knocking about on here.

Carries on like that and I'm happy to have him in the squad, two months ago I would have gladly seen him given away.