You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

Qualified 04-05 season for the 05-06 season wasn't it? There was the big hoo ha about whether or not both they and us would be in it after we won it but didn't finish in the CL places in the league.

They got fucked out sharpish by Villarreal as I recall.

They did not qualify and that was the point, they qualified for qualification.

Hurrah, its better than winning a cup you know.

Im quite pissed off with them comments myself.

They come across as defeatists imo.Say it might benefit us if we dont qualify if you want,but not when we have games to play and a chance.

think you're right, why not just say we're all in. Nothing wrong with thinking about the benefits of not playing but it shouldn't be said out loud while there is still a chance. Sort of like saying before an interview " I really want the job but if I don't get it at least I'll have lots of spare time to work on my resume"

I wasn't arguing any point, they qualified from the Premier League. But hey ho, any chance to show off your big footballing brain eh Frode?

Everton never qualified for the CL.

Aws did not really ask a question, I thought that was obvious.

Everton never qualified for the CL.

Aws did not really ask a question, I thought that was obvious.

Its things like that that in bold which make you so lovable.

I admit I only skim read, I thought they were talking about qualification from the league. My bad. In my defence, I am working at the same time.

I don't see him as a laughing stock I just don't think he's good enough because has been found out far too much tactically this season.

Say we make it to the Champions League will he be good enough tactically to make it work I mean if you get found out by Paul Lambert how are you going to fare against Ancellotti, Mourinho maybe even Benitez.

The team we make it with to the competition will be a lot better the one this season so that's not the concern, my concern is whether he will be good enough to utilise this team to get the best results in the competition. Because as Di Matteo and Mancini proved the strength of your squad is not everything.

And I don't think he will

PS: Nothing would make me happier to be wrong because him proving me right would mean I would have to watch Liverpool lose and no matter how many times I hhave seen this recently there are still few things that screws up my day worse than a bad defeat

They did not qualify and that was the point, they qualified for qualification.

Hurrah, its better than winning a cup you know.

wtf are you on about?? they finished 4th... hence at that time they qualified for the cl 05/06.. even tho' we won it,it wasn't an automatic guarentee of a place... we had to play a welsh team in the pre/pre stages if i remember... even that was only an after thought by uefa... spurs finished 4th last season, but because chelski won it, spurs went into the europa...our situation made uefa change the rules...

wtf are you on about?? they finished 4th... hence at that time they qualified for the cl 05/06.. even tho' we won it,it wasn't an automatic guarentee of a place... we had to play a welsh team in the pre/pre stages if i remember... even that was only an after thought by uefa... spurs finished 4th last season, but because chelski won it, spurs went into the europa...our situation made uefa change the rules...

Oh dear.

Negged for being clueless..

think you're right, why not just say we're all in. Nothing wrong with thinking about the benefits of not playing but it shouldn't be said out loud while there is still a chance. Sort of like saying before an interview " I really want the job but if I don't get it at least I'll have lots of spare time to work on my resume"

he's been cagey throughout the season about what the aims are.

when we were threatening to break into the top 4 at one stage he deflected that by saying what about 2nd or 3rd.

when asked about what are aim for the season was it has always been lets try and do better than last season without saying a position or points total we're aiming for.

again yesterday he was asked what the aim would be for next season and he didn't say much other than hopefully we can affect things at the top end.

he did admit that the level we're at is 5,6,7th for 2 reasons - we don't have enough quality and we made a very poor start.

He then said if we don't qualify for Europe next season and he gets the players he wants in the summer then we will make a better start because the group as he calls them will know the game he wants them to play and we should see real improvement.

I was really impressed with his press conference yesterday. he got a tricky question about the minute silence for thatcher overshadowing the minute silence for hillsborough and he said there's only one minute silence this weekend and that's for the 96.

Media wise - I don't think he has any problems. yes there are some David Brent moments but that's the way he is. I don't think his comments at the weekend about the west ham game were as honest as they could have been. We were shite by and large so to say we were outstanding in our play or whatever is taking the piss but he's not the first liverpool manager to say that sort of thing.

I also liked recently when he spoke about Gerrard playing into his late 30'she didn't mention scholes or giggs - he talked about pirlo and zanetti. We don't like to be reminded how good united have been and I think he realises that.

The main problem as I see it is getting as many points as possible from these last 6 games. I set us a final target of 60 points from the last 10 games. At that stage we were on 42 points after beating Wigan and I reckoned 6 wins from the last 10 would be a decent end to the season. We're starting to limp home a bit though.

To sum up, he is not good enough. He won't magically become better next season.

will he be good enough tactically to make it work I mean if you get found out by Paul Lambert how are you going to fare against Ancellotti, Mourinho maybe even Benitez.

even Benitez? what do you mean even Benitez?

Benitez is one of the best tacticians in the World. Rodgers' tactics are good for a mid-table PL team max.

Always good to have some excuses ready should your season turn into a total failure.

Nothing like a few excuses.

Think he also said along the lines of it may be a blessing in disguise that we may not qualify for Europe, can't see that, some of our better players may want to leave.

We play nice football, but don't believe the best chance we have of a top 4 finish (which is the be all and end all apparently) next year is in sticking with Rodgers.