You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

Christ.

7th, 6th, 8th, 6th/7th in the past four seasons yet you expect him to finish a minimum of 4th next season?

Hostage to unrealistic fan's fortune.

Whats the other side of the coin, Tom? Hostage to acceptance of mid-table mediocrity?

If Brendan is given money to spend in the summer, I don't think a fourth spot is so unrealistic. We've played some nice football at times, with players in some positions that don't necessarily fit the bill for whats required. With the right personnel, the system clicking, and the rub of the green that all sides need from time to time, anything is possible.

I prefer optimism to doomsaying, and in this case don't think its entirely misplaced.

Regardless of wether you want Rodgers or not , the bit in bold is bollocks. There's not many top managers (under the age of 65) who would come .

Consider our last three appointments. An itinerant journeyman. A past hero, retired for ten years, who is now out of work again, and a manager with one years PL experience. That is where we are.

If we offer a big enough salary ( which we could do) we still would not be able to offer a Top Four challenging warchest under FSG's sustainability philosophy.

Lets's hope Rodgers comes good.

Next season there has to be significant improvement. Not the kind of improvement you have to squint your eyes to see, improvement that makes your balls tingle.

Jan 2011 to Jan 2012. That kind of improvement.

The season runs from August to May, that is the timeframe for measuring improvement.

If Brendan is given money to spend in the summer, I don't think a fourth spot is so unrealistic.

That is the crux of it.

Will FSG provide enough cash for a Top Four challenge? They are preaching sustainability, so the answer looks like no- which means that Rodgers is going to have to get lucky.

Whats the other side of the coin, Tom? Hostage to acceptance of mid-table mediocrity?

If Brendan is given money to spend in the summer, I don't think a fourth spot is so unrealistic. We've played some nice football at times, with players in some positions that don't necessarily fit the bill for whats required. With the right personnel, the system clicking, and the rub of the green that all sides need from time to time, anything is possible.

I prefer optimism to doomsaying, and in this case don't think its entirely misplaced.

As do I.

It was the 'minimum requirement, I was actually referencing. It is an unrealistic 'minimum requirement' given the starting point. I hope like hell we make the CL spots next season - and think we have a decent crack at them - but I won't be calling for Rodgers head on a platter if we don't.

Providing we see improvement, of course.

Pros:

- Coutinho & Sturridge

- Downing, Henderson, Enrique and Suarez improvements

- Dominating & winning 3+ goals or more against teams we should.

- Great pressing at times & fluid play (on par with Kenny with the fluid part if not better)

- That one or two times he made an early sub (though you could argue he made the error by starting the wrong player)

- Having the courage to mix it up and move players around to learn/open opportunities.

Cons:

- Defensive play

- Lack of rotation (though could argue the owners prevented that)

- Slow learner / persistence with things that aren't working

- Random dropping of players on form & weird subs.

Summer:

- More attacking options and a decent CB (Sami-esque)

- Authority in CM, other than Gerrard.

- Another RW.

- Work on the above.

That was Kenny last season...

That is the crux of it.

Will FSG provide enough cash for a Top Four challenge? They are preaching sustainability, so the answer looks like no- which means that Rodgers is going to have to get lucky.

So all the Hyperbole about making liverpool the no1 again was bullshit. we will compete with anyone for the right players.

Now its sustainability, and fool the fans into thinking they are going to re develop, and wait till someone comes to take it off their hands.

I am a firm believer that it takes time and want Rodgers to have another season. However, if FSG went balls out for it and gave him £100 million that they could cover I'd expect champions league after next season.

If our club could win the premier league we could blow Chelsea/City/Arsenal to kingdom come forever.

If FSG have the funds they should go for it, unfortunately I dont think they do.

As do I.

It was the 'minimum requirement, I was actually referencing. It is an unrealistic 'minimum requirement' given the starting point. I hope like hell we make the CL spots next season - and think we have a decent crack at them - but I won't be calling for Rodgers head on a platter if we don't.

Providing we see improvement, of course.

Well we'd all best hope that 4th is Rodgers minimum acceptable finish because if it isn't we won't be enjoying the talents of our best player past next season.

Bill Shankly "This football club exists to win trophies"

Not any more Bill, 7th is the new yardstick.

The same Bill Shankly who had achieved nothing of note prior to his appointment and was rightly supported through a 7 year trophy drought?

Well we'd all best hope that 4th is Rodgers minimum acceptable finish because if it isn't we won't be enjoying the talents of our best player past next season.

I am sure Rodgers will be aiming to finish as high as possible next year.

But, yeah, Suarez won't stick around if we fail to make the CL again.

The same Bill Shankly who had achieved nothing of note prior to his appointment and was rightly supported through a 7 year trophy drought?

Shankly was appointed in 59 and gained promotion in 62.

Let's not oversimplify and for the love of sanity let's stop now with the comparisons.

Shankly was appointed in 59 and gained promotion in 62.

Let's not oversimplify and for the love of sanity let's stop now with the comparisons.

Thanks for the Wikipedia lesson, I know when he was appointed. I am not trying to compare men, more situations.

Do you suppose though there were folks sat with the brown ale in the pub going "for fucks sake, he's only been to Preston and Huddersfield"?

Thanks for the Wikipedia lesson, I know when he was appointed. I am not trying to compare men, more situations.

Do you suppose though there were folks sat with the brown ale in the pub going "for fucks sake, he's only been to Preston and Huddersfield"?

Wiki says it's impossible to compare.

I am sure Rodgers will be aiming to finish as high as possible next year.

But, yeah, Suarez won't stick around if we fail to make the CL again.

That's why it should be made clear that 4th IS the minimal acceptable finish, we can't afford to lose our last remaining world class player, we got lucky catching him when we sold Torres it won't happen again given our appalling recent

history with signings.

It's all well and good the owners talking bollocks about making us the best but taking 1 baby step forward then 2 giant leaps back will be the complete opposite.

I haven't got faith in anyone at the club though so I'm not really confidant.

That's why so many get stumped....when the old computer research lets them down.

You spoke about Shankly's trophy-less seasons without mentioning the state of the club when he was appointed, the promotion from div2, how we consolidated that or the signings he made like St John and Yeats.

All the research in the world wont stop these types of comparisons from being completely pointless.