You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Quit it mate. It is only going to go one way. Just be honest with yourself. Do you really enjoy it?

If you do and you can control it fair enough. If you use it rather than enjoy it it is time to think about jibbing it.

I don’t really miss the spewing, hangovers, no memory, fights, skint all that much. So giving it up is not as hard as we like to kid ourselves.

I use it to get out of the house and be around people mainly. I don’t really drink in the house. Tend to stay in and annoy the wife or go out, get pissed, and annoy the wife.

I always imagine that one day I’ll stop drinking completely. Perhaps that day is close.

• Upvote 1

I use it to get out of the house and be around people mainly. I don’t really drink in the house. Tend to stay in and annoy the wife or go out, get pissed, and annoy the wife.

I always imagine that one day I’ll stop drinking completely. Perhaps that day is close.

No better today, worse if anything. My face has a tremor, I’m sweating, thoughts all over the place. I won’t do anything stupid but I seriously doubt I’m ever going to get fully through this. Meds do nothing, counselling does nothing, I don’t help myself.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, 3 stacks. Hopefully they'll be able to identify what the healing problem is and resolve it, which in turn may allow you more peace of mind in relation to the cancer scare.

• Upvote 1

No better today, worse if anything. My face has a tremor, I’m sweating, thoughts all over the place. I won’t do anything stupid but I seriously doubt I’m ever going to get fully through this. Meds do nothing, counselling does nothing, I don’t help myself.

Meds to help depression will not work if you are pissed all the time.

I know it is ridiculously to even say pull yourself together so I won’t but it can only start with you. You have to want it. Really fucking want it.

I know a bloke who did 15 years in the nick for attempted murder and armed robbery. Was homeless for 10. A beggar. Loss one of his legs because of the drink. No family, wife kids gone. He had nothing left at 40.

He is in his late 50’s now and a scientist for a marine research institute. Building his own house on the sea front. With his new wife. He is calm, contented, peaceful and sober.

Anything is possible if you want it. Look at all you have compared to some people and ask yourself what do you actually need not just want?

Try it man give it a go. What’s the worst that can happen?

• Upvote 2

Being sober is one of the best things ive done. Spent years thinking I was in control of alcohol but once my head went I was a slave to it. Couldnt sleep without a drink and spent my days looking forward to it. After a week without it my body was back to normal and I felt amazing. Head tuned in to realism and I can see a way out of a few years of utter hell. I hope you can find the strength to just jib the drink even for a few weeks. Good luck bro and if you end up on the ale later, have a sambuca for me. Just dont drink it with stringvest.

• Upvote 2

My mate is in the midst of a proper meltdown at the moment. Never seen anything like it. He was one of those people who used to not believe in depression or anxiety and now he's in tears, having panic attacks and on every med under the sun. He's always been one of these people who tolerates a lot of stuff he doesn't like, whether it be agro at work or being with women he's not happy with, he'd let things deteriorate and then do something daft, like walk out of work and be jobless for six months. He feels his back is to the wall now due to the fact he's married and has a second kid on the way, don't think he's happy with his wife at all.

Me and a mate who've both had this are trying to support him, but it's difficult as he's one of these people who doesn't like telling people things, in fact I've always had the suspicion that he thinks if he tells peope he's unhappy or is struggling, that they'll be happy about it (?).

My mate is in the midst of a proper meltdown at the moment. Never seen anything like it. He was one of those people who used to not believe in depression or anxiety and now he's in tears, having panic attacks and on every med under the sun. He's always been one of these people who tolerates a lot of stuff he doesn't like, whether it be agro at work or being with women he's not happy with, he'd let things deteriorate and then do something daft, like walk out of work and be jobless for six months. He feels his back is to the wall now due to the fact he's married and has a second kid on the way, don't think he's happy with his wife at all.

Me and a mate who've both had this are trying to support him, but it's difficult as he's one of these people who doesn't like telling people things, in fact I've always had the suspicion that he thinks if he tells peope he's unhappy or is struggling, that they'll be happy about it (?).

I think most people dont believe in it until it twats them in the face. Hope he pulls through mate.
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all. Every bit of advice is correct. It’s exactly what we all used to say to my brother for years. He never listened until he’d been in an induced coma for three weeks. My dad never listened either but in the end it was sepsis that got him. I think the drink genuinely is only a part of my issue but it is a part so I appreciate the words.

Good luck to you pal. Hope it works. You cannot sort everything out in one go but do little things you can.

It’s amazing how different things start to get once you stop getting pissed, as Stig says.

I constantly ask myself when was the last time I actually enjoyed getting twatted. I cannot remember it was so long ago. Not really giving up anything then am I.

I was into my 4th month sober this week. Been doing all the things I know work. Gym, yoga, meditation, cooking, meetings. Got bladdered on weds watching the thingio. Then went to a concert last night and got shitfaced. I’m now drinking like I used to and I only fell off 3 days ago. My sisters 50th today. The whole family went out for a meal. I’d had a couple of pints before I even showed up. Fucking really disheartening. Need to sort it out fucking sharpish. Thank fuck not picked up the drugs... yet

Mad how quickly it can all come on top again after solid months of abstinence. I’ve got my daughter this weekend so that should keep me on the straight and narrow. It’s been an absolute delight spending time with her clean and sober instead of hungover. Don’t want to go back down that road.

• Upvote 5

Mad how quickly it can all come on top again after solid months of abstinence. I’ve got my daughter this weekend so that should keep me on the straight and narrow. It’s been an absolute delight spending time with her clean and sober instead of hungover. Don’t want to go back down that road.

Good luck mate, you can beat it.  For good.

Times I’ve stopped in the past then started on it again don’t reset your tolerance. I’ve thought I’ll just go for a quiet afternoon pint like a normal civilian.

8 hours numerous pints and a bottle of something later on I’ve realised that you just continue where you left off.

Started smoking a good bit of pot mnyself tbh.  Way I see it I'm not doing no harm.  I know where I'm not going back too.  

So I bust my bollocks 48 hours a week to give the missus her big day and a use the weed to sleep and take the aches away, alls good, things have never been swell tbh.

Fucking working tonight tho after being on yesterday day but yea £££££....we're all fucking hamsters.

Total opposite.  Find getting to sleep without has never been the same as that lovely lie down and instantly hit dead to the world embrace of weed.  It's the only thing that gets close to the way you go straight off heavily after working all night.

Being stoned over on the other hand...not missed.

I feel like I’m losing my mind, I can’t sleep, my mind won’t switch off about various scenarios running through my head constantly. I’ve told her that it’s not working which has just added completely to how I feel. I burst out crying the other day because some kids glue had got onto the dining room chair and I felt like no one cared.

I genuinely don’t know what to do. I’ve never felt like this before. Normally my feelings of unhappiness in life can be traced back to an act or a repercussion of something stupid I’ve done but not now.

I don’t know if it’s because I’m sober? Has being drunk masked how I’ve felt for ages? Has it stopped me feeling like this and now I’ve stopped I have to deal with my emotions?

Fuck sake

Too right drink masks it. That’s why we do it and it fucking works. It’s cheap, available everywhere without seeing a Dr.

You have to face this.

Be thankful for all you have. House family health. Then find something else to focus on. Get a mission.

Fitness, crosswords, gardening (maybe not that one). Run a marathon, swim the channel anything, just get a focus.

• Upvote 1

Too right drink masks it. That’s why we do it and it fucking works. It’s cheap, available everywhere without seeing a Dr.

You have to face this.

Be thankful for all you have. House family health. Then find something else to focus on. Get a mission.

Fitness, crosswords, gardening (maybe not that one). Run a marathon, swim the channel anything, just get a focus.

Thanks Anny. I thought being sober would be a focus enough for me but clearly not.

And as Stig said, you never really know the real meaning of it until it hits you. What a cunt