You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sugar Ape

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Even though they piss me off, I find it baffling how people still stick the boot into them for going into coalition with the tories 10 years ago, but nobody seems to give the tories much shit for being the actual tories. They've won three elections since then, and two majorities, the last one their biggest in decades.

"Fucking hate the lib dems, Tory enablers!!!'

Oh, who do you vote for?

"BORIS!" 

Or

"I don't vote, they're all the same.'

Surely these aren't the same people?

I'd be amazed at anyone criticising the LDs for going into a Tory coalition, but then voting Tory??  Although nothing to do with politics these days really surprises me.

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Even though they piss me off, I find it baffling how people still stick the boot into them for going into coalition with the tories 10 years ago, but nobody seems to give the tories much shit for being the actual tories. They've won three elections since then, and two majorities, the last one their biggest in decades.

Oh, who do you vote for?

"BORIS!" 

Or

I think the answer to that is the tories do what it says on the tin. You know what you are going to get and they make no bones about it.

The lib dems meanwhile gave the public a load of cast iron pledges which were ditched as soon as nice decent mr clegg smelt the Rose's in number 10. No rise in students fees and no vat rises just two of the promises quickly ditched. They then proceeded to enable a government who went on a destructive period of austerity and massive welfare cuts which resulted in unnecessary hardship and deaths by the poorest peoples of this country.

I'm not surprised by the lib dem position at all, they are where they deserve to be.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'm amazed that Hard Brexit supporter Gnasher is so anti-Lib Dem, who could have foreseen that.

Just to be clear. Im actually not anti lib dem, I liked Charlie Kennedy and quite like this new lady, Layla Moran? Not sure on her name. 

I however detest Clegg and the lib dems that heaped misery on the poorest in society with Cameron and Osborne and that includes new leader Ed Davey.

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Oh, who do you vote for?

"BORIS!" 

Or

Sorry mate but I'm confused by this. I think we have enough threads even on here (actually can there ever be enough?) where the tories get absolutely hammered for being just that. 

15 minutes ago, Moo said:

Surely these aren't the same people?

I'd be amazed at anyone criticising the LDs for going into a Tory coalition, but then voting Tory??  Although nothing to do with politics these days really surprises me.

The Northern seats who voted Tory would have that view I reckon..

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Northern seats who voted Tory would have that view I reckon..

Yes but think of the difference in-between. Labour strongholds that switched did so to ensure brexit more than anything else. If Corbyn was firm that Brexit definitely would happen without a 2nd referendum then the outcome would have been a lot different. 10 years is a long-time in politics. 

11 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Out of interest, who did you vote for @Stront19m Dog™?

Ed.

I will stress here that I would have been happy with either of them, and that the biggest factor in my vote was Layla's most vocal supporters, who seem to have modelled themselves on Corbynites and Cybernats.

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Ed.

I will stress here that I would have been happy with either of them, and that the biggest factor in my vote was Layla's most vocal supporters, who seem to have modelled themselves on Corbynites and Cybernats.

Interesting. So you were more concerned with what people around them were saying and how they were acting than you were with what they stood for? I guess it'll be interesting to see if Ed Davey can make a mark on the political landscape. 

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Interesting. So you were more concerned with what people around them were saying and how they were acting than you were with what they stood for? I guess it'll be interesting to see if Ed Davey can make a mark on the political landscape. 

Let's just say I am uncomfortable with the attitude of some of her supporters. A bit of cut and thrust is to be expected, but these people need to remember that we're supposed to be on the same side.

No third party is likely to make much of an impact while the electoral system remains as is. I do hear Keir Starmer is more open to electoral reform than his predecessors, and I hope the two knights can work together on that.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I suspect Laylas vocal support for Palestinians may have had an effect on a few peoples decisions. 

I suspect you haven't got a clue.

22 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'm sure that a bloke who couldn't even beat the awful Swinson in the last leadership election will bring back the good times for the Lib Dems. 

Well it's made my mind up, I will definitely vote for him. 

By him I mean almost anyone who Ed Davey is running against.