You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Damien Comolli

Captain

• 5 years later...

Regular reminder that Damien Comolli was responsible for the single worst transfer in our history, arguably football history, in paying £35m for Andy Carroll after a half season.

After he was correctly sacked, he sued us for unfair dismissal and he won.

The reason I am bringing it up, is because it is the single most obscene thing I have encountered.

How do you say " Yes I sanctioned 20m for Downing and 35m for Carroll,but I don't get why I was sacked." The absolute balls it takes to think, that you are the wronged party in that scenario. And he won.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Carroll was our worst signing. Not even top 10 worst for me. If he had stayed fit he would have been worth it. 

Diouf

Dundee

Balotelli

Downing

Adam

Konchesky

Markovic

Aquilani

Kronkamp

Poulsen

all far worse. Forget the money involved, we lost a declining Torres and about 6 million quid for Suarez (arguably the best player to pull on a Liverpool shirt) and the man who scored the winner against the blues in the fa cup semi final. 

I remember the day we signed Carroll, going on to a Newcastle forum, setting the date back 6 months and reading through a thread in which they were discussing a story linking him with an £8m move to Birmingham. The general consensus seemed to be that he was a good but limited Championship target man and that any bid over £10m would have to be seriously considered.

11 goals in 20 games later and we made him the 8th most expensive player of all time, spending £1m more on him than Barcelona had recently paid for David Villa, who had just won the World Cup, finished top scorer and was named in the team of the tournament.

• Upvote 2

I don't think Carroll was our worst signing. Not even top 10 worst for me. If he had stayed fit he would have been worth it. 

Diouf

Dundee

Balotelli

Downing

Adam

Konchesky

Markovic

Aquilani

Kronkamp

Poulsen

all far worse. Forget the money involved, we lost a declining Torres and about 6 million quid for Suarez (arguably the best player to pull on a Liverpool shirt) and the man who scored the winner against the blues in the fa cup semi final.

We voted, mate.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/99918-pound-for-pound/?hl=pound

I was so fucking furious when we signed Downing and Carroll. I was on here going fuck nuts all summer at that shit,

I also raised strong objections.

As I recall, the consensus was some people didn't know how to be happy and will always find a way to moan.

• Upvote 1

I cant remember too many complaints when we actually signed Carroll. He got a boss reception when he came on against the mancs. He smashed into smalling when we were already 3 nil up and it nearly got as big a cheer as the goals. Then he scored a couple of belters against City and within days he had a song about him. Then he went the pub. 

• Upvote 1

Having said that, I was strongly in favour of signing Robbie Keane.

All the Irish Reds on here said it was a huge mistake, and they were bang on.

I really thought Gerrard, Keane and Torres would bring the title back.

Robbie Keane would have been a great signing if we played Albania, Latvia and Lithuania every week.

• Upvote 1

I also wasn't enthusiastic when we signed Mane.

As I saw it, we were raiding Southampton again, for someone who could go hot and cold.

I was also a big fan of signing Morientes, but that predates joining the forum.

I wasn't convinced that Torres was a 20m striker, either. Good player, certainly, but coukd he get 20 goals a season for us? Not, in my opinion.

I also raised strong objections.

As I recall, the consensus was some people didn't know how to be happy and will always find a way to moan.

I think quite a few people were looking at the price and saying 'fuck it, just get him'. I was like 'don't worry about the money, he's not good enough at any money'. I was a tad miffed.

Knew that I didn't imagine it:

Andy Carroll on Rodgers:

"It was mixed messages. He was messing with my head. I lost respect for him, to be honest. He used to phone me up and tell me I was a wonderful guy, and would I like to go and see Tinie Tempah live at the Arena with him - and then he'd not phone back and go with someone else. It was disappointing, to be honest."

• Upvote 3

Andy Carroll on Rodgers:

"It was mixed messages. He was messing with my head. I lost respect for him, to be honest. He used to phone me up and tell me I was a wonderful guy, and would I like to go and see Tinie Tempah live at the Arena with him - and then he'd not phone back and go with someone else. It was disappointing, to be honest."

He shouldn't feel bad Rodgers was doing the same shit to his Wife at the time.

• Upvote 3

Knew that I didn't imagine it:

Andy Carroll on Rodgers:

Just lacking that wee bit of respect for a beautiful, beautiful human being.

• Upvote 1