You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Famous people you've met.

Loads:

1. Had dinner with Chris Eccleston and Terry Christian. At the same time. I felt surrounded. It was a full-on Manc-fest.
  2. Charlie Higson came to our place earlier this year to do a talk to the kids. He was sound with them and sullen as fuck with us. Monosyllabic. 
  3. Met Daddy G from Massive Attack in the crowd before they played a gig in Manchester somewhere (can't remember the venue - one of the student places). It was weird on two levels - firstly he's ridiculously tall and secondly he's Mrs Paul's ex and it was all a bit awkward.
  4. Met Mick Jones in the crowd before a B.A.D. gig at The Boardwalk in Manchester. He came up to me and my mate to thank us for our support as we followed them around the country on their mini tour. We'd watched them sound check the previous night at The Leadmill in Sheffield and he recognised us from there. He was ace.
  5. Met John Barnes a few times through work as he's done various bits for us like presentation evenings and assemblies and that. He is genuinely interested in kids making the most of themselves and is an inspirational speaker. Very personable and easy-going too. Great bloke. My mate and I also met him in the late 80s in Atmosphere nightclub in Birkenhead the week before a semi-final against The Mancs. My mate was bladdered and went up to him while he was dancing with his missus to tell him how important the result was.
  6. Met Tony Wilson, Johnny Vegas, Vinny Reilly (of The Durutti Column) and Mark E Smith at a party at my mate's house. Two were arseholed, one was off his face on smack and the other was giving it the big 'un to everyone. I'll let you work out which was which.
  7. I met Andy McNabb at a book signing when I was a store manager for Waterstones. He was sound. Dead ordinary and not at all macho or aggressive. In fact I've met dozens and dozens of authors in this way. So many in fact that I can barely remember any of them as it's such a mundane process and you rarely get to actually interact with them in a meaningful way as they just want to get in and out as quickly as possible.
  8. I met Jimmy McGovern at a book signing too but he'd come to meet the author as a punter. I can't remember who the author was, but I recognised him and we chatted about The Reds for five minutes.
  9. I've met loads of DJs too over the years but I'm hazy on the details of quite a few (it was a long time ago and I was usually inebriated in some way). Mr Scruff is a sound, though. I actually spent an evening in his company and he's completely egoless. He's a genuine music head too (obviously) in that he's as interested in listening to other people rattle on about tunes and that as he is in holding court himself.
  10. James Taylor of The James Taylor Quartet came back to ours in Sheffield as my house mate pulled him. I made him a bacon butty in the morning and we talked about Acid Jazz, Talkin' Loud and Gilles Peterson over a cup of tea.
  11. My head tells me there are more, but I can't think who at this hour.

Bobby Gee from Bucks Fizz, advised him whether he needed planning permission for a snooker room

Dave Pearce - dealt with his planning app, he wasn't over friendly, I was an inconvenience to him I think

Daniela Denby Ashe, from Eastenders and my family, visited her flat on a listed building inspection

All the members of British Sea Power, my ex went to uni with 2 of them and was best mates with the lead guitarists girlfriend. Noble and his missus stayed in our spare room for 2 weeks while they had the damp course in their flat done

Ronnie from the Killers. Toured with BSP so my ex knew them. Had a pizza and few pints with him and his wife in Brighton seafront. He likes Scousers

Neil Tennant, back stage at a gig, he wasn't impolite, probably gets loads of people talking to him, seemed distant

Nick Cave - backstage at a gig, but saw him around in hove quite a bit, only spoke to him at the gig though

Robin Cousins - visited his house to assess an objection to a neighbours planning app

Bernard Langer, bought a cornetto for himself and feast for his daughter from me when I worked at southport fair. Had a massive was of cash

David Duval - same year of the open at birkdale, he was at a hotel bar getting served at the same time, I asked him how he was finding UK

Jamelia - met her in a pub in Brum. She was totally lovely in every way. She knew an ex work colleague so was dropping in to see her

Ewwww eye aids, hopefully they will be better spaced now.

I should add there are others I met for all of about 20 seconds who I can't really include there are:

Planning related

David Gilmour, Kate Blanchett, Mike Yardy, Burnside from the Bill

Other minor meetings

Tim Vincent, Pete Tong, Frank Bruno, Mike Reid (Runaround not ukip pop quiz nutter)

Also not a celeb but notable, Charles Webb who wrote the Graduate, I lived in the flat beneath him for two years. Lovely guy, really lovely quite unassuming bloke. I only found out his notoriety when a story appeared in the newspaper about him, I couldn't believe the bloke in the flat above had wrote it

Footy ones too, but I suppose not on the GF

Ooh - just remembered another. Jon Pertwee was at the garden festival in Liverpool back in the day in character as Worzel Gummidge. All the kids were running up to him to say hello and he was really fucking horrible, pushing them out of the way to get past and dropping his character voice to be a rude cunt. He pushed my sister and I went nuts to the point where my mum had to get hold of me. I was about 11.

• Upvote 1

What was that Bbc daytime programme with Tom O'Connor and Diane whatsherface back in the 80's? A precursor to This Morning. They came to Derby County to film once and as our school was just up the road we got to be filmed, caged up in the old Ossie End at the Baseball Ground in the pelting snow whilst John Gregory and Bobby Davison took pot shots at a group of freezing 7 year olds. The cruel bastards!

Jamie, the guitarist from Space. Used to play a certain unmentionable sport with him in Sefton Park. Proper old school stuff, jumpers for g**lposts.

Pete Wylie of local 1980's pop music fame. My ma knows him and he's always hanging around a guitar shop by ours.

I also went to school with the bloke who played Jerome Johnson in Brookie/"Tanktop" in one of the Hollyoaks spin offs.

Are you a muso. Cause I used to play them games with him on a tues night in Sefton park?

Charlize Theron - my mate went out with her for years

Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet - played a certain sport with him a few times, including kicking him full on in the face when he was in nets. He was sound.

Had lunch with Brad Pitt and Sean Penn (ok, I was at the same table)

Graeme Souness once used my office to do a radio interview after he asked me if there was somewhere quiet in the airport he could go to do it.

I work with the Dublin GAA manager.

Loads of minor celebs in the airport over the decades.

The Pogues, The Charlatans, Ian Brown, Kate Nash, Barry Venison, spotty bird from Texas and Sean Paul.

My mate met Beyonce, which I'm a bit jealous about.

My mate used to be a manager of the old GMex in Manchester and he said Ian Brown was a complete arsehole and his kids were twats. Gave one of them a clip for spitting on the wallpaper, the kid gave it the big I am so my mate said fetch your dad cos I'll fucking batter him too.

My mate used to be a manager of the old GMex in Manchester and he said Ian Brown was a complete arsehole and his kids were twats. Gave one of them a clip for spitting on the wallpaper, the kid gave it the big I am so my mate said fetch your dad cos I'll fucking batter him too.

I only met him in passing backstage at T in the Park, said alright and that was about it. Heard loads of stories about him being a twat but he was my hero when I was a wee boy (he's not now).