You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Is anyone watching football focus? I had it on in the background and wasn't paying attention when they were talking about Everton, but I thought they said something like "as expectations grow that they will win their appeal against the points deduction"

If true, it will set a convenient precedent for any other club facing charges to escape without sanction.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Honestly if they all get away with this, I think it's time to give up on the game. 

I'm genuinely starting to believe it's only us who are arsed about this. For supporters of the vast majority of clubs, what City get up to is fuck all to do with them anyway. And the fifa generation dont care if the league becomes a pissing contest between state owners as long as they see £100m signings every season. At the other end, I've not heard too much outrage from the supporters of Leicester or Leeds either, even though Everton stayed up at their expense - or at least, their voices have not been given enough airtime. It's all pretty soul destroying.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

The media narrative on this has been odd. Some would say suspicious.

It reminds me of the outrage about the European Super League. People were led to believe that clubs wanted to leave the Prem, rather than form a midweek competition to rival the Champions league. I dont recall this misconception ever really being challenged or corrected in the media at the time either.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

It reminds me of the outrage about the European Super League. People were led to believe that clubs wanted to leave the Prem, rather than form a midweek competition to rival the Champions league. I dont recall this misconception ever really being challenged or corrected in the media at the time either.

I thought the same. This is what they do. Neville was straight out when that news broke just like Carragher was with Everton's deduction. Get in first, frame the argument.

Fucking annoying me these blues. "Ffp is designed to keep the small clubs from competing".... remove FFP or Profit and sustainability and let's see how small clubs survive the "big cartel 6" and state run clubs spending what they like! Buying everyone and totally fucking up football inflation even worse than it is. Everton for fucks sake have damn near bankrupted themselves and thats with rules in place. One shit dodgy owner can kill your club that's why you need rules you stupid twats.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rushies tash said:

I'm genuinely starting to believe it's only us who are arsed about this. For supporters of the vast majority of clubs, what City get up to is fuck all to do with them anyway. And the fifa generation dont care if the league becomes a pissing contest between state owners as long as they see £100m signings every season. At the other end, I've not heard too much outrage from the supporters of Leicester or Leeds either, even though Everton stayed up at their expense - or at least, their voices have not been given enough airtime. It's all pretty soul destroying.

It's because of the free market nature and financial inequality of football. Any club can theoretically become anything at any moment if someone rich invests in them.

There's this want from a lot of people within the game for small clubs to be able to become big clubs.

When City and Everton spend loads of money (and possibly cheat along the way), philosophically it's fine because how else would those clubs join the established big boys. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's because of the free market nature and financial inequality of football. Any club can theoretically become anything at any moment if someone rich invests in them.

There's this want from a lot of people within the game for small clubs to be able to become big clubs.

When City and Everton spend loads of money (and possibly cheat along the way), philosophically it's fine because how else would those clubs join the established big boys. 

Yeah, there's one thing narrative and another thing rules.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Brighton are a club that should be disproving this. They are now a very well run, established upper mid table club. They could and should now be investing in expansion of their stadium to take advantage of the fact that there are no other top flight teams for miles around, in a city with a population of 300,000 people. You don't necessarily need to be winning things at this stage, just play a brand of football that people want to pay to see. Slowly build from there.

• Upvote 1

This fucking nonsense that Liverpool or Manchester United were always juggernauts needs to stop. That we were always dominant and the only way to compete is to cheat and spend and bend the rules.

We built a club through fair means success. If anything actually holds us back its the Premier League. If we went solo on TV subscriptions for example, we'd be making a fuck load more than now.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Surely can't be long until the biggest clubs strike out and say we are getting our own tv deals....

Ha ha, can you imagine Sky's response to this? It would make the furore about the Super League seem like a 30 second segment on a local news report.

9 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Ha ha, can you imagine Sky's response to this? It would make the furore about the Super League seem like a 30 second segment on a local news report.

Be great wouldn't it.

Convinced it happens mind - simply inevitable.

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Be great wouldn't it.

Convinced it happens mind - simply inevitable.

If it did, it would turn the prem into La Liga - with us and Man Utd in place of Real Madrid and Barcelona. If people are quite prepared to allow nation states to pump unlimited funds into clubs, then they can't really argue when we earn billions from our own TV deal.

Although, if it happened, you would imagine that Man City would also somehow manage to find 500m subscribers from the middle East.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Brighton are a club that should be disproving this. They are now a very well run, established upper mid table club. They could and should now be investing in expansion of their stadium to take advantage of the fact that there are no other top flight teams for miles around, in a city with a population of 300,000 people. You don't necessarily need to be winning things at this stage, just play a brand of football that people want to pay to see. Slowly build from there.

Brighton are simply competent.

What people want is to see clubs who used to not spend money, spend money. It's like a special attraction. Oh look at Newcastle, they're one of the big boys now, good for them. Etc, etc.. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Ha ha, can you imagine Sky's response to this? 

No, but I can imagine the response of the likes of Everton when they realise that the fee they command is shite because nobody outside of County Rd and Rhyl want to watch them.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Brighton are simply competent.

What people want is to see clubs who used to not spend money, spend money. It's like a special attraction. Oh look at Newcastle, they're one of the big boys now, good for them. Etc, etc.. 

I think Brighton are more than just competent. They replaced Potter with de Zerbi with no change to their playing style. They've also lost 3-4 of their best players and simply slotted replacements into the team with minimal drop off.

I agree with you on the spending though. Recent years have seen a US style obsession in this country with ostentatious displays of wealth, driven by mindless tv shows and vacuous celebrity 'news'. It's shit, and I'm not sure it'll change.

35 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

If it did, it would turn the prem into La Liga - with us and Man Utd in place of Real Madrid and Barcelona. If people are quite prepared to allow nation states to pump unlimited funds into clubs, then they can't really argue when we earn billions from our own TV deal.

Although, if it happened, you would imagine that Man City would also somehow manage to find 500m subscribers from the middle East.

Aye but for me it is inevitable.

It also believe it would be fairer for the consumer, who could choose only to buy the televised games for their team rather than have to pay for a package that includes matches they don't care about.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Aye but for me it is inevitable.

It's 100% inevitable. Premier League created this financial inequality, Super League is the only way it ends up. There is nowhere else these clubs can go now. It's shite, boring, load of bollocks and I pray, Jurgen and a lot of us around my age bow out in style.