You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

It hasn't yet been confirmed yet but it looks pretty safe to say Hodgson will be the Liverpool manager by the end of the week.

He is not the appointment i would have liked but as soon as he becomes manager he will get my 100% support.

We as fans need to take stock as just who is the cancer at the club and it is not Hodgson but Hicks and Gillett.

Regardless of whether or not you feel Hodgson should be the manager i can see no justification to have a go at someone who seems a genuine, nice bloke and done nothing wrong at Liverpool bar not be a top managerial name.

If i was Hodgson i would create a seige mentality and just go for whatever he can whilst ignoring the owners as much as possible.

There is no point as manager feeling sorry for yourself over the lack of transfer fund as this just carries on to the players as we saw last season when the heart and spirit had been ripped out of the team.

If Roy can bring back that spirit and that desire to win then we may well surprise a few people.

This of course will be made a lot harder if players such as Gerrard and Torres leave but if we can keep the main spine of the team together and have no major departures then lets just wait and see.

What is important though is for the fans not to be distracted from the main aim of getting the owners out.

Sir_robin_part_3_pic.jpg

Steven Gerrard ran away

"I didn't"

Bravely bravely ran away

"I never!"

When trouble reared its ugly head

He turned around and quickly fled

"No!"

Brave old Stevie turned about

And gallantly he chickened out

"All lies!"

When needed most he went and hid

Then fucked us off for Real Madrid

"Oooooooo!"

I shall of course apologise in August when this turns out to be bollocks.

Why support the club? It doesn't support us.

That's a very very astute question - I'm not taking the piss it really is.

My immediate reaction was "I don't know" - which is strange because in years past I'll have simply said "because my dad did and that's what he taught me to do - I always have".

But really it was a mutual respect relationship - even as a very young lad going to watch us in the second division it was clear that the club was doing all in it's power to get us back in the 1st division and to go on from there to win it and become the best in Europe. That happend, thankfully and I have some fantastic memories - I honestly can't say that I get the feeling that Liverpool FC is there for the fans anymore. It appears to be there to further the political/business careers of some grey suited knob who neither knows what it feels like to be a proper working-class supporter or what it feels like to have been passed a "Love" of the club that has in the past been unquestionable.

"Unquestionable" - Not any more.

Thanks

Short term 'steady the ship' appointment IMO, a new owner will want their own man, if they buy LFC as a vanity project they undoubtedly will. He deserves our full support though because he is a Liverpool manager and he seems a top bloke, although I expect to lose a couple of top players because of this appointment - the likes of Masch and Gerrard will not see this as a step up.

My thoughts on Gerrard are that he owes us nothing, but as far as the rest are concerned, if England's debacle has proven anything, it's that you can accomplish more with a team of top lads than you can with one of a few talented egos.

Would you blame either of them for going?

Yes.

Gerrard only need to look at Owen leaving to see the grass isn't always greener and won't necessarily win things if he goes.

We need Gerrard and if he supports the club, as he says he does, he shouldn't be leaving when the going gets tough.

I think he'll stay.

Yes.

Gerrard only need to look at Owen leaving to see the grass isn't always greener and won't necessarily win things if he goes.

We need Gerrard and if he supports the club, as he says he does, he shouldn't be leaving when the going gets tough.

I think he'll stay.

If I were Gerrard my first question after that would be 'but what will I win if I stay'? - it's a guess whichever way you go but an educated guess would hint at a move away. The club is clearly not showing the same level of ambition as some of the players.

If I were Gerrard my first question after that would be 'but what will I win if I stay'? - it's a guess whichever way you go but an educated guess would hint at a move away. The club is clearly not showing the same level of ambition as some of the players.

Did we look like winning the Champs League when Owen left?

Whether we wanted him or not he's the new manager of Liverpool and deserves all our support. If he can convince any or all of Gerrard, Torres, Benayoun and Mascherano to stay then he will be off to a winning start. Similarly I won't blame him if any or all of them go. He still has a very good squad of players there. I doubt there'll be much money to spend so he'll have to make some shrewd signings.

I'm looking forward to the start of the season and a new beginning.

Again, I have to ask; do the players not have any say in all this?

Blame the evil agent, blame the evil club for selling them, but are they absolutely incapable of saying "I'm not going"?

Gerrard especially, if he knows his fee will go towards debt reduction and prolonging our agony, can fuck off.

"Yeah but it's understandable, it's a short career and we're going nowhere" etc.

Sounds a lot like pandering to me.

His armband said he was a red

Once we hit trouble he turned and fled

Catchy.

Er, wait a minute. Weren't you one of the ones saying you wouldn't blame Gerrard for leaving if Rafa stayed?

Now suddenly he's a cunt because he won't stay to fight for 7th with Roy Hodgson and Director of football Cecil Purslow?

I was told this would be a BIG summer.

Yeah but Hicks never told me the information! So you take your sarcasm sunny! And take a little time to think about what you say in future, and the effects that your words have on people!

I'm literally sitting here typing through the tears!

I hope you are happy?

I hope someone quotes this comment back to Roy (apropos Gerrard and Torres) at tomorrow's press conference:

'Art of being a good manager doesn't just disappear' - News & Comment, Football - The Independent

"Take Zidane or Roberto Carlos out of Real Madrid and replace them with McManaman and Salgado and it's not the same."

To which the correct response would be:

Real Madrid won two titles and two European Cups while McManaman was there, you clueless dickhead.

Did we look like winning the Champs League when Owen left?

We'd just employed a manager who's team had ripped us apart home and away in Europe, who had won his own title twice beating bigger, better resourced teams on the way and had actually won a trophy in Europe.

Can you say that the employment of this manager shows that sort of ambition?