You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 Years Ago Today

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Djimi Traore clearing off the line.

Legend

His telescopic leg stopping Serginho (I think) stands out for me on Djimi's performance that night.

Also Dudek's face after he had made that double save will forever be etched in my mind. As will Vladi's goal and celebration.

Every player bar Kewell and Josemi did themselves more than enough justice that night.

"Please get off the stage, you are all going to die!!!"

Very, very funny. I remember everyone laughing at his voice but I was concerned about what may have happened if the stage had collapsed. It certainly looked a bit wobbly when about 50 fans climbed on.

I'll never forget that day when Liverpool Football Club made me feel ten feet tall.

No one can ever take that day away from us lads.

No one.

Indeed. Every other CL final will look average in comparison. Unless someone comes back from 4 nil down at half time this will always be the best ever.

I never did get that tattoo I promised myself.

My thoughts from the day:

Crazy early time flight.

Taksim square.

McDonalds near taksim square.

Turkish people giving the 'five' sign.

Crazy yellow taxis (three in a two lane road!)

A spaceship on the horizon (which turned out to be Ataturk stadium).

Fans kicking football into the air outside the ground, hoping that they hit people on the head.

A fan up a flagpole (about 40 feet up)

The stage being over run by fans and a turkish announcer telling everyone to get off in a hilarious camp voice.

The lack of food/drinks in the ground (right next to corporate tent - bastards)

How quickly it turned cold.

The match.

Falling sideways like dominoes when we won.

Being snogged by a granny when we won.

Strangley bruised calves for the edges of the seats.

The strangely quiet atmosphere on the coach (I think everyone was exhausted).

The great organisation of the coach trip to the airport.

The shit organisation in the airport.

Relief at going home after the lottery of a flight.

Seeing the team at The Jolly Miller.

The lack of texts from Mancs.

All what you said plus the atmosphere in the Carlsberg marquee at the airport.

This is my favourite picture of it. I've kept it in my wallet ever since the first time I saw it.

Carra could have beaten Usain Bolt in the olympic games in that exact moment. Even after he had suffered with cramp several times he was the first to reach Dudek. What a legend. What a night.

I remember my friend Michael turning to me at half-time and saying, "Wadda ya think?"

"We're about to witness history; either the biggest hiding any team has ever got in a European Cup final or the greatest comeback of all time. I fear it's the former!"

Sometimes it's ok to be wrong. I'll never forget that night and as the sun rose on the 26th we were sitting outside the big tent at the airport - we'd been awake for 28 hours but were still on such a high.

I remember my friend Michael turning to me at half-time and saying, "Wadda ya think?"

"We're about to witness history; either the biggest hiding any team has ever got in a European Cup final or the greatest comeback of all time. I fear it's the former!"

Sometimes it's ok to be wrong. I'll never forget that night and as the sun rose on the 26th we were sitting outside the big tent at the airport - we'd been awake for 28 hours but were still on such a high.

Once a pessimist...

Don't know who this is but it pretty much sums up the atmosphere of the day.

29205_10150196270235319_767070318_12764575_1008509_n.jpg

I've never seen that, fantastic photo.

My abiding memory is the manic, celebratory atmosphere on the flight over contrasted with the absolute silence of the flight home when everybody was emotionally empty.

"What the fuck did we just witness?"