You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downloading Torrent Anonymously

TommyW

Evening all,

some of you may have seen a programme on the BBC last night about the new legislation that may be coming in where the music industry can request ISP's send people who download music etc illegally letters of warning and potentially throttle their internet connection

on the programme they showed how easy it was for 'them' to get hold of your IP address when using bit torrent but mentioned there were ways to download anonymously (swapping IP addresses or something)

does anyone use anything they would recommend?

thanks,

T

Evening all,

some of you may have seen a programme on the BBC last night about the new legislation that may be coming in where the music industry can request ISP's send people who download music etc illegally letters of warning and potentially throttle their internet connection

on the programme they showed how easy it was for 'them' to get hold of your IP address when using bit torrent but mentioned there were ways to download anonymously (swapping IP addresses or something)

does anyone use anything they would recommend?

thanks,

T

I use TOR when I stream baseball via TV Ants. The streams I use can't be viewed here in the UK without using TOR.

Have a read on their site and see if this will help you out.

that looks like it would do what they described on the programme, I'll do a bit of research, thanks

im not even a heavy downloader but didnt like the idea of my details being so easily obtained

It's all scaremongering, though it wouldn't surprise me if people did receive automated emails, even when they're not doing anything naughty.

Policing the net in this manner is one hell of a job, I don't think that MS are even capable of doing this properly, despite all the security patches they release to spy on folks, (allegedly....).

*turns around and looks over shoulder*

They showed they can get your IP easily enough (you transfer it when you are downloading Peer to peer), they can then (if the new legislation goes through) supposedly ask your ISP to reveal your details and if you repeat offend potentially cut off your internet

as has been said above its probably pretty unlikely you'd get caught out but better to be wary I guess

It's all scaremongering, though it wouldn't surprise me if people did receive automated emails, even when they're not doing anything naughty.

Policing the net in this manner is one hell of a job, I don't think that MS are even capable of doing this properly, despite all the security patches they release to spy on folks, (allegedly....).

*turns around and looks over shoulder*

It's actually very very easy to do and doesn't involve windows at all. All your traffic goes through your ISPs router and routers these days are smart enough to look inside the packets and work out what you are doing.

It's actually very very easy to do and doesn't involve windows at all. All your traffic goes through your ISPs router and routers these days are smart enough to look inside the packets and work out what you are doing.

This is very true. Though the routers will have difficulty viewing encrypted packets, I'm not aware of any routers with packet decryption capabilities, that's not to say there are none out there of course.

This is very true. Though the routers will have difficulty viewing encrypted packets, I'm not aware of any routers with packet decryption capabilities, that's not to say there are none out there of course.

Forget that, just done some searching on Google, and it looks like Fujitsu have patents for packet encryption and packet decryption devices (routers), so if it's not already possible, it soon will be.