You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What constitutes the perfect cooked breakfast?

ISeeRed

Beans with a full English?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Beans with a full English?

• Aye, bean me up, Scotty.
    • Nay, poke your beans up your bum, one at a time.

I was in a fancy place a while back and was sick of fry ups. They had smoked haddock and pocked egg which really hit the imaginary spot. I ordered it and it came but it was just a poached egg on a 2ft plate. I called the waiter over and said 'Any chance of my fish with this' he proceeded to lift up the egg with a fork and there was the smoked haddock the size of a 50p

Guest Pistonbroke

My poached eggs look more like Caspar the ghost.

Buy an egg poacher, they are pretty cheap and do the biz, I have a pan type thing and the silicon ones. 

614%2BwcUNf4L._SL1500_.jpg

41hAM5MkDGL.jpg

Lay some cling film over a ramekin, crack the egg in, pull the sides up if the cling film and tie.

Then cook the eggs in the cling film.

You'll have perfectly formed poached eggs.

I've tried hombre; I'm just shite at it.

Lay some cling film over a ramekin, crack the egg in, pull the sides up if the cling film and tie.

Then cook the eggs in the cling film.

You'll have perfectly formed poached eggs.

Col knows.

I've tried hombre; I'm just shite at it.

You need one of them pans that Piston suggested. I use lifeys method if I'm just doing a couple for myself, but if its for several people I've got a pan that does eight at a time.

I always poach them straight in boiling water and vinegar. Time it right and they are great. You just need to let the water drip off when you take the egg out.

The best sense you've made in a while, Stig. I don't even bother with all that vinegar malarkey myself

Never put vinegar in myself. Just swirl the water a bit,simmering not boiling and job done

Exactly. Its the same as all the stuff people say about how difficult it is to cook rice. I don't get what the problem is

"This is the science behind why vinegar is often added to egg poaching water. Thisrecipe outlines the basic approach I take. A simple experiment shows that adding 1 tsp. (4.9 mL) of white vinegar (5% acetic acid v/v) in 2 quarts of NYC tap water (1.9L) changes the pH from 6.75 to 3.43 at room temperature (25C) (Remember that pH 7 is neutral, lower pH is acidic, and higher pH is basic or alkaline). At a simmer (95C), the pH of tap water is changed from 6.84 to 3.87. This more acidic pH, combined with the heat of simmering water, rapidly denatures the ovalbumin in the egg whites, creating a coating of cooked egg that the interior of the egg is trapped in while cooking. This prevents the egg from falling apart and the result is a perfectly poached egg".

If its good enough for some dorks on the internet, its good enough for me and Stig.

• Upvote 1