You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Non Liverpool Legends.

lifetime fan

I'll start with Hristo Stoichkov.

"There are only two Christs" said Stoichkov, one plays for Barcelona, the other is in Heaven.

Stoichkov had an infamous temper and fell out with anyone and everyone, at various stages he had nicknames including the Dog, the Bitch, the Fool and the Dagger.

By 19 he was the most celebrated player in Bulgaria, however a year later aged just 20 he was banned for life for his part in a mass brawl during the Bulgarian Cup Final. This was rescinded a year later and Cruyff signed him for Barca. Stoichkov regularly clashed with Cruyff despite him being his childhood hero, he questioned the parentage of the Barca directors live on TV and told the media during pre-season "I will not speak to any of you bastards until November". He was banned in 1992 for two months for stamping on an officials foot.

However every time has was forgiven by his fans as he fired Barca to four league titles and Bulgaria to the semi finals of USA 94. He paid for the 1992 UEFA Cup Winners Cup Final to be shown in Bulgaria.

When overlooked for the European Footballer of the Year Award in 1992 he said, "Silvio Berlusconi used his influence to have Van Basten win. Van Basten is an incredible player, but I deserved the Golden Ball and Van Basten recognised that".

Stoichkov was famous for wearing the number 8 shirt. In his final appearance for CSKA in his homeland, Stoichkov wore the number 4 shirt - the number of goals he had scored against great rivals Levski Sofia the week before.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garrincha. Legend AND loon.

Garrincha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read the book by Ruy Castro last year, fucking hilarious and tragic at the same time.

94 World Cup was the first one I watched in full and Stoitchkov and Bulgaria were class in that.

Him and Romario together for Barca were a bit handy.

That was the year Milan destroyed them 4-0 in the CL final too and the year of the great 3-3 with the mancs at Anfield.

I think that year was the one where I really started to get into football worldwide, rather than just going to the local games with my dad.

00002b8c0c8r.jpg

A legend and personal hero of mine.The most troubled of upbringings only few of us can imagine,obviously affected by it enormously which led to excessive boozing and ultimatly addiction ,one of the shyest footballers ever who tore his life apart time and time again and always revolving around what happened in that home.

Surrounded by hangers on that never had his interests at heart and throughout all that theres barely a schoolboy club in the country that hasnt had a visit from him..all that aside ,what he achieved on a football pitch ,despite his treatment of his body is hard to believe .To think he spent 5years doing no training on a pitch (just gym work) really is astounding.He really did put his body on the line for us fans .I hate the fact he played for them fuckers but having met and spoke with him a few times ,I can overlook that .When I croak it I'm taking a DVD of that italy performance with me

A fucking legend

Roberto Baggio.

The man was sheer class and had something special about him. You could almost say he was an early mold for Steven Gerrard in the way he could lift and bolster a team to kick on.

World Cup 1994 was a perfect example. Italy looked to be going out at the hands of Nigeria when our ponytailed hero grabbed hold of the game by the throat, spun Nigeria around and dumped them out virtually by himself.

Edwin Congo.

From that Bulgaria team I loved Ivanov-- a Warsaw Pact defender who wouldn't look out of place in the gulag on either side.

The other great player from that World Cup was Hagi, the Maradonna of the Carpathains (sp).

As much derided that WC was it was a coming out for African and eastern european football but also had some of the worst kits ever- Nigeria and the US one spring to mind.

As well as a 0-0 final with the ultimate ending being an Italian Buddist skying one into the Pasadena evening.

00002b8c0c8r.jpg

A legend and personal hero of mine.The most troubled of upbringings only few of us can imagine,obviously affected by it enormously which led to excessive boozing and ultimatly addiction ,one of the shyest footballers ever who tore his life apart time and time again and always revolving around what happened in that home.

Surrounded by hangers on that never had his interests at heart and throughout all that theres barely a schoolboy club in the country that hasnt had a visit from him..all that aside ,what he achieved on a football pitch ,despite his treatment of his body is hard to believe .To think he spent 5years doing no training on a pitch (just gym work) really is astounding.He really did put his body on the line for us fans .I hate the fact he played for them fuckers but having met and spoke with him a few times ,I can overlook that .When I croak it I'm taking a DVD of that italy performance with me

A fucking legend

Amen Gav, An absolute legend.

francesco-totti-italian-footballer.jpg

Francesco Totti is a legend in my eyes. Supremely Talented footballer and unbelievably loyal. Turned down lucrative moves to Real Madrid and AC Milan just because he loved playing for his boyhood club. Although he has serious temperment issues hes a big favourite of mine.

Does he have a name ? I´m too young to remember (under 40).

My non LFC legend is Romario. And I´m amazed that some many others have mentioned him already. I thought he was too controversial for most people...

Paul Mcgrath from the days when you needed to be a real man to be a footballer.