You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Re:Investment

HBenn

With all the stuff in the press about Alonso and Mascherano talk about the refinancing seems to have been put on the back burner. Has the refinancing actually been confirmed? If not, does the club actually have to make an annoucement? If memory serves me correctly when the loan was renewed in January it was announced on the Offal weeks before the deadline. This time there has been no official announcement and just makes me wonder whether the delay is a result of there being some truth in the rumours on RAWK about big external investment.

The fact that we've actually been signing contracts rather than "agreeing terms" for the last two weeks suggests that the refinancing is all but done and dusted and the lawyers are probably just putting the final tweaks on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Liverpool owners' talks with RBS over loan may extend beyond deadline - Telegraph

Liverpool owners' talks with RBS over loan may extend beyond deadline

Negotiations between Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and RBS over refinancing a £350 million loan may extend beyond Friday's deadline.

By Paul Kelso and Rory Smith

Published: 7:45AM BST 23 Jul 2009

Bank talks: negotiations between Liverpool owners George Gillett (left) and Tom Hicks with RBS over refinancing a £350 million loan may extend beyond Friday's deadline

The two parties have been in talks for several months and both sides have expressed confidence that a deal will be done.

It may not be concluded by the end of this week however, despite that being the date for the loan's expiry given in the most recent accounts for the club's holding company.

Last month RBS took the extraordinary step of publishing an open letter to supporters in which it expressed faith in the financial position of the club and said it looked forward to establishing "a long-term relationship" and looked forward to it "continuing for many years to come".

The letter suggests a deal will be struck. The football club are liable for £105 million, with the remaining £245 million lying with the holding company, Kop Football Ltd, and secured by Hicks and Gillett.

The holding company made a loss of £42.6 million last year, largely as a result of paying interest on the loans from RBS and Wachovia.

The owners have thus far committed £185 million of personal guarantees and other collateral for the loan.

Rafael Benitez's hopes for a seamless pre-season became even more remote on Wednesday as Martin Skrtel and Nabil El Zhar limped out of a friendly draw with the Thai national side and the Anfield futures of both Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano were cast further into doubt.

Alonso missed the 1-1 draw in front of 70,000 fans in Bangkok, Ryan Babel scoring for Liverpool, with a "slight" injury concern, prompting concerns his expected £30 million departure for Real Madrid was imminent.

Mascherano made a second-half appearance. The player's agent had suggested his client was "tired" of life in Liverpool, though Benitez is unlikely to sanction his departure for Barcelona.

Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko can now be added to the long list of potential replacements should Alonso or Mascherano leave. Representatives for the midfielder are believed to have been contacted by Liverpool, although Benitez would face competition from both Tottenham and Everton for the French under-21 international.

The Spaniard has also been linked with the likes of Esteban Cambiasso, of Inter Milan and Roma's Alberto Aquilani, while he has long been an admirer of Athletic Bilbao's Javi Martinez.

Although Benitez has ruled out taking a player as part exchange for Alonso, both the Holland international Wesley Sneijder and Esteban Granero, only recently signed by Real from Getafe, could yet be included in a deal.

Liverpool owners' talks with RBS over loan may extend beyond deadline - Telegraph

Negotiations between Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and RBS over refinancing a £350 million loan may extend beyond Friday's deadline.

By Paul Kelso and Rory Smith

Published: 7:45AM BST 23 Jul 2009

Bank talks: negotiations between Liverpool owners George Gillett (left) and Tom Hicks with RBS over refinancing a £350 million loan may extend beyond Friday's deadline

The two parties have been in talks for several months and both sides have expressed confidence that a deal will be done.

It may not be concluded by the end of this week however, despite that being the date for the loan's expiry given in the most recent accounts for the club's holding company.

Last month RBS took the extraordinary step of publishing an open letter to supporters in which it expressed faith in the financial position of the club and said it looked forward to establishing "a long-term relationship" and looked forward to it "continuing for many years to come".

The letter suggests a deal will be struck. The football club are liable for £105 million, with the remaining £245 million lying with the holding company, Kop Football Ltd, and secured by Hicks and Gillett.

The holding company made a loss of £42.6 million last year, largely as a result of paying interest on the loans from RBS and Wachovia.

The owners have thus far committed £185 million of personal guarantees and other collateral for the loan.

Rafael Benitez's hopes for a seamless pre-season became even more remote on Wednesday as Martin Skrtel and Nabil El Zhar limped out of a friendly draw with the Thai national side and the Anfield futures of both Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano were cast further into doubt.

Alonso missed the 1-1 draw in front of 70,000 fans in Bangkok, Ryan Babel scoring for Liverpool, with a "slight" injury concern, prompting concerns his expected £30 million departure for Real Madrid was imminent.

Mascherano made a second-half appearance. The player's agent had suggested his client was "tired" of life in Liverpool, though Benitez is unlikely to sanction his departure for Barcelona.

Toulouse midfielder Moussa Sissoko can now be added to the long list of potential replacements should Alonso or Mascherano leave. Representatives for the midfielder are believed to have been contacted by Liverpool, although Benitez would face competition from both Tottenham and Everton for the French under-21 international.

The Spaniard has also been linked with the likes of Esteban Cambiasso, of Inter Milan and Roma's Alberto Aquilani, while he has long been an admirer of Athletic Bilbao's Javi Martinez.

Although Benitez has ruled out taking a player as part exchange for Alonso, both the Holland international Wesley Sneijder and Esteban Granero, only recently signed by Real from Getafe, could yet be included in a deal.

No they haven't - the banks want that in cold, hard cash, not guarantees or letters of credit - that's why the great Hicks and Gillett firesale has been in full swing.

No they haven't - the banks want that in cold, hard cash, not guarantees or letters of credit - that's why the great Hicks and Gillett firesale has been in full swing.

What's your source? You'd have to be pretty close to the deal to know they wanted cash vs. some other liquid asset (highly unlikely).

With all the stuff in the press about Alonso and Mascherano talk about the refinancing seems to have been put on the back burner. Has the refinancing actually been confirmed? If not, does the club actually have to make an annoucement? If memory serves me correctly when the loan was renewed in January it was announced on the Offal weeks before the deadline. This time there has been no official announcement and just makes me wonder whether the delay is a result of there being some truth in the rumours on RAWK about big external investment.

What are they banging on about on there?

cheers

UAE group close in on Everton

Euan Megson

* Last Updated: July 23. 2009 4:45PM UAE / July 23. 2009 12:45PM GMT

The area around alongside the ground of the English Premier League side Everton will become a football village if a deal with a UAE-based business consortium is finalised. Mike Egerton / EMPICS Sport

DUBAI // One of English football’s leading power-brokers has confirmed he is acting on behalf of a “UAE-based business consortium” in talks to acquire the English Premier League club Everton.

Chris Nathaniel, the managing director of NVA Management – a multi-faceted entertainment agency whose clients include England defenders John Terry and Rio Ferdinand, Manchester City striker Robinho and the Jamaican sprint sensation Usain Bolt – last night revealed he had already met with the Merseyside club.

“I can confirm I am acting on behalf of a UAE-based business consortium, who are chaired by a prominent Dubai businessman, and that I am currently in discussions with a number of Premier League clubs, one of which is Everton Football Club,” said Nathaniel.

Two Premier League clubs are already owned by UAE nationals – Sheikh Mansour’s Manchester City and Sulaiman al Fahim’s Portsmouth.

However, a source close to the Everton deal said the country’s stake in world football’s richest league is about to grow. “They have visited the club and discussed future plans and figures, and Nathaniel is now waiting for instructions from his client,” said the source, who added that “could be sooner rather than later”.

“I expect an official approach and offer to Everton in a short space of time,” the source said. “The interesting proposition for the group is Everton’s new stadium plans. Nathaniel’s client’s vision – for whichever club he ultimately owns – is to build a football village alongside the ground.

“It’s about purchasing a club as a viable business proposition. It’s not about owning a trophy, it’s a sound business venture.

“Football clubs aren’t being maximised as brands and this consortium want to keep fans at the club after the game, offering them restaurants and a football village to spend their money in – it’s about making an entire match day experience.”

Nathaniel revealed details about his client’s strategy to increase his purchased club’s leisure and marketing revenues, and said this group are not the first from the region to approach him.

“Lots of Middle East-based individuals and groups are approaching me about Premier League clubs. There is a real appetite in the region,” he said.

He went on: “In this case, I’ve been approached because of my background in the entertainment industry. I can bring that element of big celebrity names and concerts – I can help realise my client’s plans to make a football club a wider entertainment platform. The Middle East understands the entertainment element, and how introducing it to football clubs can turn loss-making vehicles into profit-making ones.”

While talks with Everton, owned by the theatre impresario Bill Kenwright, are the most advanced, the source said Nathaniel has been instructed to approach several clubs – one of which is Everton’s Merseyside rivals, Liverpool.

“Talks have happened with the people who instruct on [Liverpool owner] Tom Hicks’ behalf, but it’s very early stages and it will take time.” confirmed the source.

“The client has requested a lot of information and until that is back, they can’t rule Liverpool out.”

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090723/SPORT/707229922/1043

UAE group close in on Everton

Euan Megson

* Last Updated: July 23. 2009 4:45PM UAE / July 23. 2009 12:45PM GMT

The area around alongside the ground of the English Premier League side Everton will become a football village if a deal with a UAE-based business consortium is finalised. Mike Egerton / EMPICS Sport

DUBAI // One of English football’s leading power-brokers has confirmed he is acting on behalf of a “UAE-based business consortium” in talks to acquire the English Premier League club Everton.

Chris Nathaniel, the managing director of NVA Management – a multi-faceted entertainment agency whose clients include England defenders John Terry and Rio Ferdinand, Manchester City striker Robinho and the Jamaican sprint sensation Usain Bolt – last night revealed he had already met with the Merseyside club.

“I can confirm I am acting on behalf of a UAE-based business consortium, who are chaired by a prominent Dubai businessman, and that I am currently in discussions with a number of Premier League clubs, one of which is Everton Football Club,” said Nathaniel.

Two Premier League clubs are already owned by UAE nationals – Sheikh Mansour’s Manchester City and Sulaiman al Fahim’s Portsmouth.

However, a source close to the Everton deal said the country’s stake in world football’s richest league is about to grow. “They have visited the club and discussed future plans and figures, and Nathaniel is now waiting for instructions from his client,” said the source, who added that “could be sooner rather than later”.

“I expect an official approach and offer to Everton in a short space of time,” the source said. “The interesting proposition for the group is Everton’s new stadium plans. Nathaniel’s client’s vision – for whichever club he ultimately owns – is to build a football village alongside the ground.

“It’s about purchasing a club as a viable business proposition. It’s not about owning a trophy, it’s a sound business venture.

“Football clubs aren’t being maximised as brands and this consortium want to keep fans at the club after the game, offering them restaurants and a football village to spend their money in – it’s about making an entire match day experience.”

Nathaniel revealed details about his client’s strategy to increase his purchased club’s leisure and marketing revenues, and said this group are not the first from the region to approach him.

“Lots of Middle East-based individuals and groups are approaching me about Premier League clubs. There is a real appetite in the region,” he said.

He went on: “In this case, I’ve been approached because of my background in the entertainment industry. I can bring that element of big celebrity names and concerts – I can help realise my client’s plans to make a football club a wider entertainment platform. The Middle East understands the entertainment element, and how introducing it to football clubs can turn loss-making vehicles into profit-making ones.”

While talks with Everton, owned by the theatre impresario Bill Kenwright, are the most advanced, the source said Nathaniel has been instructed to approach several clubs – one of which is Everton’s Merseyside rivals, Liverpool.

“Talks have happened with the people who instruct on [Liverpool owner] Tom Hicks’ behalf, but it’s very early stages and it will take time.” confirmed the source.

“The client has requested a lot of information and until that is back, they can’t rule Liverpool out.”

UAE group close in on Everton - The National Newspaper

1040 BST: Everton have distanced themselves from suggestions that they are in negotiations to sell the club to a Middle East consortium. (Various)

the s.o.s are applying pressure as well:

BBC SPORT | Football | Fans revise Liverpool buy-out bid

Supporters groups Spirit of Shankly and ShareLiverpoolFC have unveiled a new, joint proposal to buy Liverpool.

The supporters' organisations are unhappy with the financial structure of the club following the takeover by Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

The key change to the original "member-share" proposal is a reduction of the share price from £5,000 to £500.

Gillett and Hicks were expected to complete a refinancing of the club's £350m debt on Thursday.

A statement from the SLFC board said: "This is a realistic plan that squares the circle: How to get broadly based fan ownership of the club, and relieve the level of debt, by offering Liverpool fans an affordable entry fee and a chance to get a modest return for their additional financial support.

"Now we need all those Liverpool fans to carefully consider the proposals in detail on our website - and let us know what they think."

The supporters' groups first proposed a takeover - the model of which is based upon that operated by Barcelona, Real Madrid and other European clubs - in January 2008.

Initially they hoped to raise £500m from 100,000 fans each paying the £5000 'entry fee', but this has now been reduced.

The aim is to acquire a 60% stake in the club by raising £150m while seeking a "commercial partner" to invest £100m for a 40% stake.

In June 2009, it was announced the parent company of the club, owned by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, lost £42.6m in the year to August 2008, largely as a result of interest payments that had to be made to service the debt taken on by Kop Football Holdings when it purchased the club in February 2007.

On Tuesday, the BBC learnt that the club were close to renegotiating its debt with the Royal Bank of Scotland - one of the two banks to which it owes money.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

From tommorows Times

Fernando Torres retains hopes that Liverpool can still win title despite turmoil | Liverpool - Times Online

RBS and Wachovia agreed in principle to a further extension two months ago, but, with no announcement yet made, it emerged last night that the banks have still to be persuaded that Hicks can guarantee the loans.

The Texan, who has been hit hard by the global credit crunch, has explored numerous options — including selling part of his 50 per cent stake in the club — and is said to be optimistic that a solution will be found in time to satisfy the banks.

However, even if a further extension allows the club to limp forward for another six months, Liverpool officials have long held the belief that the ownership situation is unsustainable.

stolen from RAWk posted by fernandofowler9

Interesting post on the lpool site. this guy said that the club was sold about 6 weeks ago and said something will be announced this month. Me is the guy who said it...source (self explanatory)

Me: What happened to the "done deal" over new owners?

Source: Yes it´s done.

Me: But H & G are in the process of re-financing.

Source: No they´re not. They are finishing the arrangements.

Me: What arrangements?

Source: Gillett goes and Hicks stays with a reduced percentage of shares.

Me: How do you know?

Source: Here he quotes an LFC employee we are all familiar with....hang me if you like but I won´t print it.

Me: Are you guessing some of this?

Source: I am telling you now it´s a ******* done deal.

Me: What about the new stadium?

Source: Hicks will build it because he is the best on the planet at building sports stadiums.

Me: Why isn´t all this in the press?

Source: I think you will here a lot more next Friday. (31st July)

He then added.....Gillett is holding up the final arrangements at the moment.

Me: How?

Source: Not sure, it´s just the word at the club.

Me: Is it DIC then?

Source: Not sure but it is either them or a Kuwaiti group.

Me: How do you know?

Source: Those of us who know are not sure but we know it´s one who was in the frame before.

So that was how the conversation went. I´ll tell you this much. If he is wrong, after speaking with such certainty, I will be losing a friend! I´m going back downstairs now so I will look in later.

3rd hand news originating from the offal, is a lot worse than no news at all.

If there is an announcement on the 31st about selling the club i will eat my own shit live on webcam.

thanks.

3rd hand news originating from the offal, is a lot worse than no news at all.

If there is an announcement on the 31st about selling the club i will eat my own shit live on webcam.

thanks.

If there's an announcement on the 31st about selling the Club no-one will give a toss whether you do or not!!

There'll be another 7000+ thread