You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The cunting Daily Mail thread.

Chris

Briefly steering off topic here, but I really don't get the whole concept of "emoism."

Chris or anybody else; care to fill me in on it?

There are many different threads really, the whole thing started as an extention of the DCHC (washington hardcore) scene in the 80s, as more emotional lyrics, different timings etc...

The emo I associate myself with is removed from that and even further removed from what it as become today... a fashion for teenage scals with big hair, who don't have any concept of the meaning or the music.

Cutting oneself as an emo is a completely foreign concept to me, it must be something that this generation has latched onto because it's never been about that.

My emo icons are Rivers Cuomo from Weezer and Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World, but for many it's Morrissey or Gerard Way from MCR, although the later would never claim to be such these days, even though that's a big portion of their audience.

So for me, what it's all about is being more in touch with your feelings, wearing your heart on your sleeve, being geeky and uncool, being slightly too sensitive for your own good, not so self-assured, always managing to be screwed over by women... Emo music seems to convey that kinda stuff, especially Weezer's music and River's lyrics. I guess it's something I identify with more than I ever did when I was a grunge kid in the 90s. The music is more of a comfort rather than something which makes me feel sadder, it's something that can say "come on, dude, you've had a shit day, give us a hug, we can be sad together"

Also there's a lot to be said for being sad. "I miss the comfort in being sad" said Kurt Cobain and he's right. Somehow in the same way that being euphoric does, being sad makes you feel alive. I don't know, I'm rambling. That's my take on what it means to me anyway.

Anyway that's me revealed as the emo pussy I am.

So to claim that people are committing suicide because of My Chemical Romance is one thing, because there lyrics are dark, but calling them an "Emo suicide cult band" is fucking scandalous. How in the name of hell they get away with it? It's sickening.

Those lyrics they've chosen are laughable. If they'd have done some proper research they could have found some proper dark lyrics in there. "They're counting down the days to go, it just aint livin' and I just hope you know, that if you say goodbye today, I'd ask you to be true, cos the hardest part of this is leavin' you..."

Also they're wrong. Welcome to The Black Parade wasn't their first single. The Black Parade is their third album and the one before that kicked ass.

Sorry, that was probably a very random question.

I heard some kid call another kid an Emo because he was listening to that song. Was curious.

I thought you were being an ass, no worries. Kids are so far removed from the meaning of it now that it probably is considered emo by some.

I thought you were being an ass, no worries. Kids are so far removed from the meaning of it now that it probably is considered emo by some.

You've been hanging around with Dave too long.

Yeah, I didn't think that song really matched with the rest of the bands/lyrics you were talking about.

I think the word Emo has become synonymous with the word "pussy".

There are many different threads really, the whole thing started as an extention of the DCHC (washington hardcore) scene in the 80s, as more emotional lyrics, different timings etc...

The emo I associate myself with is removed from that and even further removed from what it as become today... a fashion for teenage scals with big hair, who don't have any concept of the meaning or the music.

Cutting oneself as an emo is a completely foreign concept to me, it must be something that this generation has latched onto because it's never been about that.

My emo icons are Rivers Cuomo from Weezer and Jim Adkins from Jimmy Eat World, but for many it's Morrissey or Gerard Way from MCR, although the later would never claim to be such these days, even though that's a big portion of their audience.

So for me, what it's all about is being more in touch with your feelings, wearing your heart on your sleeve, being geeky and uncool, being slightly too sensitive for your own good, not so self-assured, always managing to be screwed over by women... Emo music seems to convey that kinda stuff, especially Weezer's music and River's lyrics. I guess it's something I identify with more than I ever did when I was a grunge kid in the 90s. The music is more of a comfort rather than something which makes me feel sadder, it's something that can say "come on, dude, you've had a shit day, give us a hug, we can be sad together"

Also there's a lot to be said for being sad. "I miss the comfort in being sad" said Kurt Cobain and he's right. Somehow in the same way that being euphoric does, being sad makes you feel alive. I don't know, I'm rambling. That's my take on what it means to me anyway.

Anyway that's me revealed as the emo pussy I am.

So to claim that people are committing suicide because of My Chemical Romance is one thing, because there lyrics are dark, but calling them an "Emo suicide cult band" is fucking scandalous. How in the name of hell they get away with it? It's sickening.

Those lyrics they've chosen are laughable. If they'd have done some proper research they could have found some proper dark lyrics in there. "They're counting down the days to go, it just aint livin' and I just hope you know, that if you say goodbye today, I'd ask you to be true, cos the hardest part of this is leavin' you..."

Also they're wrong. Welcome to The Black Parade wasn't their first single. The Black Parade is their third album and the one before that kicked ass.

So then, Chris, I don't mean to be rude or intrusive or anything, but did you find the scene or did it find you? Had you always felt that way before you became "emo" or is it a persona you've adopted?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm taking the piss here, mate, but I'm just a bit curious.

So then, Chris, I don't mean to be rude or intrusive or anything, but did you find the scene or did it find you? Had you always felt that way before you became "emo" or is it a persona you've adopted?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm taking the piss here, mate, but I'm just a bit curious.

In the same way, do you find yourself conforming to the emo personailty traits that you've just described or do you just act in that way anyway and then think, 'I'm acting like an emo here'?.

Again not taking the piss, just interested.

I think there are many things the tabloids could be bashed for. It's not my scene at all and I don't know about Emo, but I thought Paul's post gave some good first hand anecdotal evidence about the sort of unhealthy subcultures impressionable people can get themselves into. Tragic for the family and a real shame.

Tabloids generally stick to the same few themes and they are extremist in how they present the information. It is agenda and sales driven. I regularly see the Mail getting bashed on here as though it is the only poor paper out there. Stick to a good broadsheet (which also have agendas) if you want a fairer press.

Bit of both really, I was looking for something, and along came something that I identified with. The persona was always there, just misplaced within the whole generation x grunge thing, which as much as I wanted it to be, wasn't really my thing.