You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Solo 6.5/10.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I reasonably enjoyed it, although I don't think it actually added anything to the Han Solo character.

It started to lose me at the end as well. Beckett & Enfys Nest were reasonably cool characters but I didn't feel there was so much need for all the double crossing. Paul Bettany was his usual garbage self as well, just played Vision with a few burns.

Needs another viewing.

Emilia Clarke looked lovely throughout though.

Outlaw King 8/10.

Watched a few very viewable films this week and its only Tuesday.  

This film is on Netflix and has been released recently, it stars Chris Pine (Star Trek) and basically takes off were Braveheart finishes.  Overall a reasonably good film which is well worth a watch.

Robin Hood - 4/10

There's been plenty of different interpretations over the years of the Robin Hood story but this is by far the stupidest (and I include the one with Tony Robinson). There's plenty of action scenes to keep you entertained but it would have less plot holes if it was written by an GCSE student.

Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood

Anyone who is averse to salacious gossip/testament about the great movie stars and their peculiar sexual peccadillo's should avoid this documentary like AIDS. Scotty Bowers tricked half of Hollywood, man, woman or beast (in his earlier years). This doesn't have the deep down nitty gritty detail of his memoir 'Full Service' but it is still plenty to be getting on with.

7.5 lubricated thrusts out of 10

I've docked it a thrust as, personally, there wasn't enough bumming in it for me.

Parkland 10/10

Really enjoyed this. It's centered around the aftermath following the assassination of JFK. It looks at the effects it had on the camera man who shot the world famous cine film footage. The staff who treated JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald at the Parkland hospital, the security services and Oswalds family.

I've read a few things about how JFKs men almost came to blows in the hospital in order to get his body out of Dallas and get him into the passenger section of Air Force 1. And how Lyndon Johnson was sworn in on the same plane while JFK lay dead just a few feet away but it was still eerie watching it being acted out.

It's got a really good cast too and it's well worth a watch.

• Upvote 2

On 22 November 2018 at 11:26 PM, Red74 said:

Don’t wanna come over all dramatic here but The Dark Knight is one of the greatest movies ever made. 10/10

Its a brilliant film. Not quite a 10/10 but yeah, its fucking boss. Easily my favourite superhero film of all time. 

The Impossible - The Thailand tsunami with Ewan McGregor. The tsunami hitting scenes were brutal and so realistic it was harrowing to watch. Goes a bit stale after that but you can't fault it because its based on true events. 7/10. 

18 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Its a brilliant film. Not quite a 10/10 but yeah, its fucking boss. Easily my favourite superhero film of all time. 

The Impossible - The Thailand tsunami with Ewan McGregor. The tsunami hitting scenes were brutal and so realistic it was harrowing to watch. Goes a bit stale after that but you can't fault it because its based on true events. 7/10. 

It’s one of those films that no matter how long it’s been on when I switch the telly over to it, I can watch it from that point. Got lucky last week as when I switched over, the joker was just about to be arrested. From that point to the bit when he gets out and he’s got his head out the police car window is sensational. 

Ready Player One - 5ish / 10.

It was alright. A bit meh. Some interesting ideas and good nostalgia but all felt a bit lame. Wasn’t helped that all the emotion was more or less played out by CGI computer game characters, who like the majority of CGI characters, have soulless eyes and are devoid of emotion.

Jurassic Park - Fallen Kingdom 3/10.

Just stupid. Way, way too many quips and jokes considering the peril Pratt & Co are in throughout the movie. Also the auction beneath that guys house was the most ridiculous thing in the entire franchise. Jeff Goldblum was character was also a completely pointless.

Make Us Dream

Biopic about Stevie Gerrard, man and boy, kid and captain. Most of this I knew so well but some occasional insights. 

Quite lengthy at almost 2 hours but fuck me did it take me back and make my pulse race and my heart break, all over again.

Fucking brilliant. God bless you captain.

9.5/10 Yoda on Kodi

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

After watching that shit show of a performance in Paris, I’ve just seen that the new predator film has came on the dodgy box. Is it worth a watch or am I just gonna have 5 hours worth of shite on my telly tonight?

I liked it. It's quite light-hearted but watchable. Big Fans of the original don't like it.

• Upvote 1

Widows 7/10 thought it was a bit slow and just ok but maybe that's due to all the great reviews that I've been reading about it so expected something fantastic , might be the kind of movie I watch again in a years time and like it a lot more.

But my main gripe is that I went to the afternoon showing so I could watch that sport we aren't supposed to mention on her....Now I wish I had gone the later one

On 11/28/2018 at 1:24 PM, Shooter in the Motor said:

Widows

Getting a lot of high scores here and on reviews generally. This is thoroughly deserved. Smashing fillum. 

9/10.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:33 AM, Stickman said:

Widows 7/10 thought it was a bit slow and just ok but maybe that's due to all the great reviews that I've been reading about it so expected something fantastic , might be the kind of movie I watch again in a years time and like it a lot more.

But my main gripe is that I went to the afternoon showing so I could watch that sport we aren't supposed to mention on her....Now I wish I had gone the later one

10 becomes 7 becomes about 4.

Actually, the longer I think about it the more annoyed I get about it.

It had had good reviews, highly thought of director, Viola Davis, Liam Neeson, I like a good action/crime movie but, oh, I was so disappointed by it.

A pretty hard to believe plot, too many unnecessary and undeveloped sub plots, relationships that didn’t make sense. The book was originally made into a tv series over 6 episodes (which I didn’t see) and the film just didn’t seem to be able to do justice to that amount of material 

They Shall Not Grow Old - Peter Jackson uses archive interviews and blends them over updated and colourised footage of WWI soldiers to powerful effect. That's mostly because it brings a history to life that you didn't think possible due to the age of war. The technical effect of adapting the footage is really impressive and the overlaid voices of the footage makes it both creepy and amazing to hear the voices of the past brought back to life. Worth seeking out. 9 out of 10

• Upvote 2

The Blackcoat’s Daughter. 7.5/10.

Decent addition to the horror genre that trades on a slowly building sense of foreboding, fine acting, and excellent cinematography, rather than the usual horror tropes. And if the main conceit relies on some kindness on the viewer’s part, the film has earned it by what has gone before.