You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Windows Vista

Captain

Windows Vista was declared RTM on Wednesday, and as such is just around the corner. Well, for volume license holders anyway. For consumers it won't launch until the start of next year, January 30th to be exact.

If any of you are thinking about buying a computer these days (or perhaps for Christmas), make sure it carries the Windows Vista capable sticker. Not only will you be sure your machine can run Vista (most new machines can), it will also more than likely make you eligible for the Express Upgrade, which is basically a free upgrade from Windows XP to Vista. Windows XP Home does not qualify for a free upgrade.

A list of the computer manufacturers who offer this upgrade can be found here:

Windows Vista: Express Upgrade

Whether Vista is an improvement on XP or not is another debate altogether. Needless to say, I disagree with you. I've heard very few claim the same as you.

I just wanted to tell people about that possibility to upgrade for free. Those who sell computers sure as hell don't, they want to get rid of the old machines first.

According to Microsoft, you wont need anti virus programs, so secure is Vista...

During a telephone conference with reporters yesterday, outgoing Microsoft co-president Jim Allchin, while touting the new security features of Windows Vista, which was released to manufacturing yesterday, told a reporter that the system's new lockdown features are so capable and thorough that he was comfortable with his own seven-year-old son using Vista without antivirus software installed.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Allchin_Suggests_Vista_Wont_Need_Antivirus/1163104965

Hackers and crackers will have another field day when M$ touts this kind of crap...

Hahaha! Riiiight! If you get infected by a virus on Vista you should therefore be allowed to sue Microsoft!

Read that loads of new games are going to be directX 10 only, which is Vista-only... cunts.

Gonna buy it anyway, for work purposes, but probably wouldn't otherwise.

Hahaha! Riiiight! If you get infected by a virus on Vista you should therefore be allowed to sue Microsoft!

Read that loads of new games are going to be directX 10 only, which is Vista-only... cunts.

Gonna buy it anyway, for work purposes, but probably wouldn't otherwise.

Also locking out the security so users do not have the choice of AV software has really fucked off the big security firms like McAfee, Symantec etc. They really are taking a massive risk with this legally.

Also locking out the security so users do not have the choice of AV software has really fucked off the big security firms like McAfee, Symantec etc. They really are taking a massive risk with this legally.

I do think they will have done their homework on it and are well covered.

Kick in the nuts for McAfee etc.

Better security, better back-up solution, better user management and better (scalable) graphics.

Sorry Captain, but I really want to see someone else than M$ comment on this, and time will tell. I really hope they have managed to make it much more secure, but if their track record is anything to go by, I really doubt it. That M$ hasn't made sure that all the big anti virus companies has gotten their s/w updated for Vista, in my eyes is a very stupid and even arrogant idea.

And now he has back tracked. Not too smart those M$ executives...

http://www.betanews.com/article/Allchin_Backs_Off_Antivirus_Remarks/1163201739

Edit: I wonder if he still stand by his famous words from 2001:

eWeek: While security seems to be less of an issue with XP than it was with 2000 and the operating systems before that, users still say XP remains vulnerable. What are you telling customers about security issues in XP and how they are being handled?

Allchin: Windows XP is dramatically more secure than Windows 2000 or any of the prior systems. Buffer overflow has been one of the attacks frequently used on the Internet. We have gone through all code and, in an automated way, found places where there could be buffer overflow, and those have been removed in Windows XP.

We have also turned off by default a whole set of things so that users are configured in a minimalist kind of way, making them less vulnerable. We also put a Win XP machine naked on the Internet and let people try and crack it. There have been no entrances and no issues so far.