You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

School reunions - are they a good idea ?

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I went to one organised for my old secondary school 8 years ago and it was shit. Was good to see half a dozen or so people I'd not seen in years, but mainly chatted to people I still kept more touch with until the point where the music became unbearably shit and loud at which point it was better to hang around outside. 

Listened to a few lads talk about getting bullied while some of the lads that bullied them insisted they didn't, then I drunkenly snogged a bird I vaguely remember but hadn't remembered the reputation of and sulked off back to hers round the corner at the night drifted to a close before having to do a walk of shame back to my parents house early next morning and take my daughter to a friends daughters 3rd  birthday party.

Three of the girls ended up in a&e, can't remember why but one was definitely a bad drunken fall.

Such a charmer 

IMG_3706.gif

Weirdly went to a mate's reunion, he is 7 years older and looks it. He double booked me and the reunion so thought it'd be funny if I turned up and he tried to blag that I was there for a term. The ended up all, quite rightly I may say, thinking I was just a weird cunt. 

As for my own, I was only talking about it last night. I am in touch with loads of old classmates already and mainly the ones worth staying in touch with in the first place. 

There was a time where I would have absolutely loved a reunion but there seems little point now as the ones I haven't seen for years I can just message on Facebook

• Haha 1

If there was anyone at school I cared enough about still I'd be in contact. 

The all generally staid on doing whatever courses they could to avoid work, I'd had enough of school so went out and started work and didn't keep in contact with anyone

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I went to one a few years back, organised on FB.

Only way I could bring myself to attend was by getting wasted on drink and drugs beforehand. 

I may have had a good time, it might have been dreadful. 

No good can come of them. 

SHITDICK!

• Upvote 1

I did go to one when I was about 23 I think, so seven years after I'd left. Nobody had changed at all, the class bully had a veneer of maturity but it was still there under the surface, the quips and the smirk. The fittest bird in the class was still fit and still smug with it, and her fella turned up later in the evening on yellow alert. 

There’s a group of us who I met at school forty years ago.

A few from my year, a couple more in the year above, and a couple more in the year above that. 

They remain my closest friends to this day.

Weirdly, I’m not in touch with anyone I went to University with and very few I’ve worked with down the years. 

It’s rare that a week goes by without at least a few of us meeting for a few jars and we have more formal ‘outings’ every couple of months. 

The school we all went to is about 15mins walk from my house, and the pubs we mostly frequent a similar distance. As a result we will always see other people we went to school with when we’re on the booze. 

I suppose I have a sort of school reunion most weeks. These I’m fine with. Call them a school reunion though and the panic sets in. No idea why, school was fine for me. I wasn’t bullied, I was clever ish, an unmentionable genius, and I was more popular with girls than I realised at the time (as in, at least a few weren’t physically repulsed).

I still wouldn’t go to another formally arranged one though. Fuck that. 

19 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I’m going to lurk on the WhatsApp group for a while before committing to anything. My experience of groups of middle aged blokes getting together is that there is going to be a lot of conversations about houses prices, cars, power tools, toast racks and routes to the venue. Not much fun. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's 40 fucking years ago.  I probably can't remember the names of more than half a dozen people I went to school with and I can't imagine any good reason for wanting to catch up with any of them.

I imagine I see a few of your fellow schoolmates more than you. Some I would recognise but some maybe not. I see very few of my own either to be honest but know lots of other kids,family mostly,who followed us into that once Catholic denominated establishment.

• Upvote 1

I went to one ten or so years back and was a mixture of feelings, really.  Some people I was happy to see, others had escaped my mind over the intervening years.  Was good to see the good people doing well, some people had settled down and had families etc, and then there were the ones that hadn't changed since 1997, hammered at the bar, calling people all sorts of names to high fives from their mates and hadn't moved on in life at all, so it's a bittersweet experience.

There was another one five years ago, which I swerved at the first opportunity.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I imagine I see a few of your fellow schoolmates more than you. Some I would recognise but some maybe not. I see very few of my own either to be honest but know lots of other kids,family mostly,who followed us into that once Catholic denominated establishment.

There was one bloke I caught up with on Facebook a few years ago. We never met up, but we got into regularly sharing daft jokes; the cornier the better.  Then he died unexpectedly, which is the kind of thing that can happen when you get to our age.

There was one someone was trying to organise a few months back on Faceaids in a Weatherspoons.

The thought of it made my skin crawl. Going by the responses the event had most people thought the same. Not sure if it actually happened or not. 

Kept in contact with most the people I was close friends with who are still in our hometown, still meet up for catch ups every few month's or when time / kids allow. Those friendships I really value as they have stood the test of time. 

Occasionally bump into other people since moving back in 2021. 

Wouldn’t go to an actual school reunion though, not a huge fan of looking back as life moves on. 

Plus it seems more of an American thing. 

Facebook made it easier for the younger amongst us to see how old school mates develop. Most of my school mates turned out as sound as they always were. A few are dead. A few girls have certainly developed. The few I stay in regular touch with are great and we still crack the same jokes and rip the piss out of stuff that happened 25 years ago. 

I think if I went to one now I’d turn up steaming drunk, try and get off with a few of the girls who used to be fit but aren’t now and chin one specific lad who I always wanted to fill in for stealing a Parker pen off my mate then denying it and getting teachers involved the prick 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Facebook made it easier for the younger amongst us to see how old school mates develop. Most of my school mates turned out as sound as they always were. A few are dead. A few girls have certainly developed. The few I stay in regular touch with are great and we still crack the same jokes and rip the piss out of stuff that happened 25 years ago. 

I think if I went to one now I’d turn up steaming drunk, try and get off with a few of the girls who used to be fit but aren’t now and chin one specific lad who I always wanted to fill in for stealing a Parker pen off my mate then denying it and getting teachers involved the prick 

I tried to woo a girl at school with a free parker pen on Valentines day.

When she rejected me I decided never to try anything that romantic ever again. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Juniper said:

Plus it seems more of an American thing. 

Talking of which, the school reunion episode of It's Always Sunny nails how shit reunions can be, and is fucking hilarious from start to end.