You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Edwards Return Confirmed

Can’t ignore the fact our form has fallen off a cliff since he returned.

Whether that’s because everyone is now looking towards the future or it’s a total coincidence, we were in a prime position on March 11th in 3 competitions and now we aren’t.

Just now, Kevin D said:

Whether that’s because everyone is now looking towards the future or it’s a total coincidence, we were in a prime position on March 11th in 3 competitions and now we aren’t.

That was Quansah's fault.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Might be right, the vibe behind the scenes would have have been about the future being completely unknown, everyone just focused on the present and enjoying their football. 

As soon as Edwards comes in then it becomes real, and there's suddenly loads of conversations about who could be taking over as manager, fitting into styles of football, possible contract renewals, new sporting directors, new signings etc. 

Not Edwards fault, he's been brought in to look after the club for future years not just the next 6 months.

There's probably a hundred things at play causing the drop off, all equally true. 

Teams never really seem to win leagues after a manager’s departure has been announced far in advance, so the drop-off was likely regardless of whether or not Edwards came in. I’d be interested to know exactly why Klopp’s departure was announced when it was, because I can’t for a second believe that anyone at the club thought it would be a good idea unless their hands were forced.

I’m sure the players genuinely wanted to win everything for Klopp (and their performances immediately after his announcement suggested that), but it added a significant amount of pressure to a squad that was already over-performing by being at the top of the league. I don’t think they checked out, which can also happen when a side knows it won’t be under the same leadership the following season.

14 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’d be interested to know exactly why Klopp’s departure was announced when it was, because I can’t for a second believe that anyone at the club thought it would be a good idea unless their hands were forced.

at some point you need to start doing background work on potential managers.

It'd be suspicious if that was happening at a club with a strong manager contracted to 2026

I said last night if Klopp departure was announce in February then they would have used that to get over the line. The problem is its gone on to long and the initial adrenaline of do it for Klopp and the players fight when have the injury issues has long since warn off. We look like the fighter that's had his second wind and is just holding on for the final bell completely spent. 

Said this before and I'll say it again. I don't like him. I think he's full of his own self importance and that he owes his lofty reputation to the brilliance of Klopp because nobody was talking about how good Edwards was until Klopp came in and made us great.

Happy to see him prove me wrong though and show that he can be successful without Klopp.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I see someone from the club has allegedly been leaking today that Nunez was 100% on Klopp and that the data nerds had identified Nkunku. Pretty poor if that is coming from the club.

Oh has that all started again? Nice.

Too much coming out of the club, why was the news on Slot so prominent yesterday and via the favoured journalists? That only happens if someone at the club makes it happen. Such a distraction on a crucial derby day, absolute pricks. Not convinced it's done with good intentions either but maybe that's just me.

7 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

I see someone from the club has allegedly been leaking today that Nunez was 100% on Klopp and that the data nerds had identified Nkunku. Pretty poor if that is coming from the club.

Joyce and Bascome ran with it.

There is a weird part of the Internet who fetish Edwards and state Klopp was holding the club back. The observation is so pathetic and insulting to Klopp and his work.

It does look like somebody at the club is trying to stick the knife into Klopp at his lowest that is disgusting. 

• Upvote 1

Can't disagree with any of the above. But the news that Klopp pushed and demanded Nunez isn't new. It was put out a while back I remember reading it. Not saying Hughes/Edwards haven't pushed the story,especially with 2 journos going to press but I could just be Nunez missing another sitter and them running it again,especially with Carragher opening his trap about him again. Let's see what else leaks

But I 100% agree on those that have a hard on for Edwards. He was obviously a massive part of the scouting success but fuck all worked before Klopp. And my fear is him and FSG going back to telling everyone just hoe clever they are. There's been far to much of that shit leaked by the club and it generally comes back and bites us in the arse. 

This summer there should be no fucking around being clever. We should have money there from penny pinching previously. Get rid of some that are not good enough,won't sign new deals etc and spend some money on players that are ready. Then go and sign some promising younger players, I'm not saying do a Mourinho and get 28/29 year old. But someone like a Osimhen who's 25/26 will just about guarantee goals, and looks as near a complete forward as you can find. 

Oh and while your in Napoli get Kvaratskhelia aswell. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Can't disagree with any of the above. But the news that Klopp pushed and demanded Nunez isn't new. It was put out a while back I remember reading it. Not saying Hughes/Edwards haven't pushed the story,especially with 2 journos going to press but I could just be Nunez missing another sitter and them running it again,especially with Carragher opening his trap about him again. Let's see what else leaks

But I 100% agree on those that have a hard on for Edwards. He was obviously a massive part of the scouting success but fuck all worked before Klopp. And my fear is him and FSG going back to telling everyone just hoe clever they are. There's been far to much of that shit leaked by the club and it generally comes back and bites us in the arse. 

This summer there should be no fucking around being clever. We should have money there from penny pinching previously. Get rid of some that are not good enough,won't sign new deals etc and spend some money on players that are ready. Then go and sign some promising younger players, I'm not saying do a Mourinho and get 28/29 year old. But someone like a Osimhen who's 25/26 will just about guarantee goals, and looks as near a complete forward as you can find. 

Oh and while your in Napoli get Kvaratskhelia aswell. 

Liverpool aren't getting those types of players without selling half the first team. 

11 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

But it's totally fine for klopp to come out and admit he actually needed his arm twisted to sign salah back in the day? 

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

But it's totally fine for klopp to come out and admit he actually needed his arm twisted to sign salah back in the day? 

Well, that was a decent person giving credit to his colleagues. Whereas this leak is quite different. It's nice when you lurk in the shadows - you can choose when to step forward into the spotlight and when to stay back and hide. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

He did that once Salah was a success.. completely fucking different. In fact the exact opposite. Chuck someone.under the bus v give credit where it's due.

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, this leak isn’t necessarily from Edwards. 

It could be a case of the club beat reporters not having a fear factor of Klopp any more. This was pretty common knowledge anyway, from what I can remember, or at least strongly suggested in the past.

15 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

At the risk of stating the blindingly obvious, this leak isn’t necessarily from Edwards. 

It could be a case of the club beat reporters not having a fear factor of Klopp any more. This was pretty common knowledge anyway, from what I can remember, or at least strongly suggested in the past.

It's a leak from inside the club. It doesn't matter who it's coming from. It's fucking shithouse tricks. And Edwards runs football for FSG. He wants the big boy pants, so he has to take the responsibility that goes with it - it's his house, keep it in order. 

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's a leak from inside the club. It doesn't matter who it's coming from. It's fucking shithouse tricks. And Edwards runs football for FSG. He wants the big boy pants, so he has to take the responsibility that goes with it - it's his house, keep it in order. 

A fair bit of the leak suggests that the data nerds wanted to sign an even worse option. Not sure how that benefits Edwards, given that he’s pioneered much of the numbers stuff. Seems an odd accusation.