You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

The Bundesliga finishes on the 18th of May, the Premier League finishes on the 19th of May. 

The Europa League final will be played on the 22nd of May.

The DFB-Pokal final will be played on the 25th of May, same day as the FA Cup final. 

Lets say we make a deal with Alonso for him to become out next manager, when will be the appropriate time to announce it?

If the deal goes through, I dont think it will be announced before Bayer Leverkusen have won the Bundesliga. 

That could be anytime between the 21st of April when they play Dortmund with four games left after that, and the 18th of May obviously.

On 12/03/2024 at 19:35, andrew78 said:
On 07/03/2024 at 19:46, Scott_M said:

Does anyone think there could be a surprise appointment,ie like a Wenger id never heard of him before arsenal 

Can't see it, he is 74 for one thing.

18 minutes ago, Code said:

The Bundesliga finishes on the 18th of May, the Premier League finishes on the 19th of May. 

The DFB-Pokal final will be played on the 25th of May, same day as the FA Cup final. 

Lets say we make a deal with Alonso for him to become out next manager, when will be the appropriate time to announce it?

If the deal goes through, I dont think it will be announced before Bayer Leverkusen have won the Bundesliga. 

That could be anytime between the 21st of April when they play Dortmund with four games left after that, and the 18th of May obviously.

It won't and shouldn't be announced until both teams season's have finished. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It won't and shouldn't be announced until both teams season's have finished. 

I dont think thats a problem really, its already been announced Klopp will be leaving.

If Bayer Leverkusen win the Bundesliga , the last games can be «a farewell tour» for Alonso as well. 

It would actually be strange to wait until after the season the way I see it. 

Just now, Code said:

I dont think thats a problem really, its already been announced Klopp will be leaving.

If Bayer Leverkusen win the Bundesliga , the last games can be «a farewell tour» for Alonso as well. 

It would actually be strange to wait until after the season the way I see it. 

I don't see why either club would want the distraction when there's trophies to be won. And there's every chance we could face them in the uefa final. I don't really understand what is to be gained from announcing it. 

42 minutes ago, Code said:

Can't see anything being announced till Leverkusen are done in Europe. They won't want it public he's joining us if they're playing us in Europe. It'll only get announced if it leaked somehow. 

I could potentially see it announced after the Europa final before the Pokal if they get there at the earliest

There are a lot of different things to consider here though, especially player logistics.

Player we talk with would want to inow who our next manager will be, the same goes for our existing players.

Something like this will be impossible to keep secret, there are a lot more positives than negatives by announcing it, its not like players will stop playing for titles just because they know a manager is leaving.

What we see on a weekly basis is evidence of that. 

8 minutes ago, Code said:

There are a lot of different things to consider here though, especially player logistics.

Player we talk with would want to inow who our next manager will be, the same goes for our existing players.

Something like this will be impossible to keep secret, there are a lot more positives than negatives by announcing it, its not like players will stop playing for titles just because they know a manager is leaving.

What we see on a weekly basis is evidence of that. 

If it's leaking out anyway, sure that's as big a distraction as anything. But equally, Alonso himself might not actually want to complete any deal till his team have stopped playing. 

As for players coming in and those on our books who need new contracts. If they can't wait till the end of may, fuck them. 

9 minutes ago, aws said:

Unless Salah goes, I’m not sure we actually need any new players,  

I wouldnt be surprised if we'll need a reserve goalkeeper and Robbo's replacement needs to be put in place sooner rather than later. 

The new manager will probably want a couple of players to implement his own style also.

The sales of Kelleher (if he goes), and a few of the kids/loanees with the wages of Thiago should go a long way towards paying for whatever is needed

12 minutes ago, aws said:

Trent and vvd are both on their last 12 months, so we'll certainly try to sell Trent if he won't sign a new deal. There's been plenty of rumour about Diaz. And some of those kids who've been doing well, we might choose to loan some out to get them a years experience. I think there could be all kinds that happens and any new coach might have his own ideas and want to bring in one or two to play in a different way or shape. 

But it's all only about 2 months away. The club will have ideas already where they will and won't be letting players go and they'll have also been looking at players coming in and surely talked to agents. While klopp is no doubt an attraction, so is our club. Do people think a player might pick somewhere else because we haven't appointed a new manager, when Barcelona, Munich, Chelsea, man united and fuck knows how many others could all be needing a new coach? It's not like we'll appoint nobody. And the Edwards appointment surely gives enough of a vibe that there's no vacuum at the club.

I just don't see the rush to announce stuff. Anything that can be done, will be done. As most people know, I don't much like the lot who own us, but I have no doubt they know how to run a business, so we'll be doing all we can in the background. 

But how will it affect us if we announce Alonso?

I can only see it as a positive, everyone know Klopp is going, everyone know we need a new manager, the quicker we know who it is, the better it is, unless its someone the fans and the players see as a huge downgrade, like R.Martinez. 

1 minute ago, Code said:

But how will it affect us if we announce Alonso?

I can only see it as a positive, everyone know Klopp is going, everyone know we need a new manager, the quicker we know who it is, the better it is, unless its someone th Ernas and the players see as a huge downgrade. 

Be sure it's a distraction for the players. these days they don't even do contract renewals through this phase of the season. And what about the Leverkusen players? 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Be sure it's a distraction for the players. these days they don't even do contract renewals through this phase of the season. And what about the Leverkusen players? 

If they have won the league already, it can give them the last push to want to go for  the treble together with Alonso, they are certainly favourites for the DFB-Pokal. 

New players will depend on who the coach is and how they set up

If Xabi wanted to play the system he does now then we would need some players,while others wouldn't really fit anymore. 

Not sure Robbo or Tsmiskas could do the job Grimaldo does for Leverkusen,bradley could do what Frimpong does. Diaz wouldn't really fit either. We would need another CB aswell. Though he may look at the squad and thik a 4231 better suits what he has

21 minutes ago, Code said:

If they have won the league already, it can give them the last push to want to go for  the treble together with Alonso, they are certainly favourites for the DFB-Pokal. 

And it might have the opposite effect and derail them. Why would a team who hasn't lost a game all season want to come out and announce their manager is going? The only way it'd make sense is if it's coming out anyway and the rumours are starting to distract them. While they keep winning, they'll say nothing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Code said:

Any announcement will be in June I think maybe June 1st  but who knows

11 hours ago, aws said:

Hard to say, Klopp is a one off and regularly has his individuals playing above their level as part of the team. 

Who knows if the next manager is able to do the same thing with this group of players. 

Tough act to follow, but we're also in a strong position so might only need tweaks rather than a full rebuild from a weak position. Haven't seen that happen many times. 

I just hope Edwards doesn't try to be  edgy and think ill go for a name less shouted like the Lens manager... basically just go all out for Alonso okay! it's right we don't know fuck all until the season is done but still it's back of the mind tetchy.

Liverpool owner Fenway Sports Group (FSG) are eyeing a move for Benfica technical director Pedro Marques as they look to make key appointments required at all levels, according to The Athletic.

FSG confirmed last week the appointment of Michael Edwards as the CEO of football role, which includes taking overall charge of Liverpool’s sporting set-up.

One key role of Edwards will be to help acquire and oversee a second club.

The 44-year-old said: “One of the biggest factors in my decision is the commitment to acquire and oversee an additional club, growing this area of their organisation.

“I believe that to remain competitive, investment and expansion of the current football portfolio is necessary.”

FSG are determined to get key appointment right and have set sight on Marques to largely provide his skills and expertise on such a project.

The Athletic claims that, “The highly-regarded Portuguese would be employed by the Boston-based company rather than Liverpool.

“Marques’ vast experience in this area would be utilised to assist FSG in its search and then subsequent management of another team, which will mainly be used to attract global talent.”

He was involved the transfer of Darwin Nunez from Benfica in 2022 and has ties to former Anfield sporting director Julian Ward.

Marques has previously worked as a youth coach at Sporting CP, a first-team performance analyst at Manchester City, and since 2018 has worked at Benfica.