You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (Dec 17-22 2023)

tlw content

image.jpeg

Monday Dec 17:

Roy Keane made a stupid comment about Van Dijk yesterday and that’s the main headline in sports media today. “Roy Keane calls Virgil Van Dijk arrogant - was he right? Let’s discuss”. This is the world we live in now. I don’t even think Keane believes anything he said yesterday, he’s just there performing a role. He did the same thing last season with that “big baby” shit he said about Robbo. To quote the man himself, “that’s his job”. He said what he said and today social media is awash with clips of it and chatter about whether he was right or not.

There wasn’t anything even remotely arrogant or disrespectful about what Van Dijk said. It maybe doesn’t look great when you see it written down and the quotes are used in isolation, but that interview was nothing. Only one team was trying to win, we were really frustrated with the draw and they were buzzing. All facts, and none of it presented with any commentary. He wasn’t mocking them.

The fact that Virgil has had to comment on it today is ridiculous. I like Keane, he’s brilliant on the Overlap and generally I like his stupid, meathead soundbites when he’s a pundit. If you enjoy it when he’s ripping on Maguire, De Gea, Rashford whoever, or laughing at Spurs, then there’s no point getting riled up when he comes out with this nonsense. He’s performing a role and Sky will be delighted with the traction it got. Shout out to Studge for getting under his skin all day though and for bringing up his lack of Champions League medals.

View full article

• dave u pinned this topic

Also agree on this super league, this one is better thought out, stupid idea, but I reckon will get legs. The reason is all the lragues that don't have a £6.7bn tv deal or thet are brilliant run clubs in Germany will look at it before they decline . The rest of the leagues in Europe are broke. Them corrupt twats at UEFA will be shitting it behind the scenes as none of the bigger clubs want the extra waste of space games in the CL. If they get Italy Spain Holland France etc there is enough quality to get it going. There will be a tipping point. If that dies off then in walk the Saudis and footy is dead.

One of the only hopes *shakes head* is FIFA banning players from their countries? Who knows....

I'm old enough to remember people in the late 60s saying the atmosphere at Anfield was not as i used to be and the same stuff has been said periodically over the next 50 years. Yet over that time we can all remember games when we've come out and the stadium's been rocking. Noise isn't everything; I remember a game against Leeds in 1973 which was effectively a title decider. We were 1-0 up with 10 minutes or so left and I remember thinking how quiet the ground was, not because people were bored but because they were totally wrapped up in the game and the tension of the moment. As you said, Dave, you really don't want to be singing at a time like that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

The atmosphere can’t be the same as it was before the Kop was seated. There were still quiet games though, the best atmosphere I experienced was the Milan game in 1965; the worse a 1-0 defeat to Ferencvaros on a snowy day in 66 or 67. Granted we were played off the park. Going from tv coverage it now seems at times to lack atmosphere, esp in thursday games when you only hear the away fans. Do the tv companies have control over where they take their crowd noise from? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Peter Cormack said:

The atmosphere can’t be the same as it was before the Kop was seated. There were still quiet games though, the best atmosphere I experienced was the Milan game in 1965; the worse a 1-0 defeat to Ferencvaros on a snowy day in 66 or 67. Granted we were played off the park. Going from tv coverage it now seems at times to lack atmosphere, esp in thursday games when you only hear the away fans. Do the tv companies have control over where they take their crowd noise from? 

Yeah I think so. There have been games I've been at where the atmosphere was good, but on TV all you could hear was the away fans, when I didn't hear a peep from them where I was sitting.

On 23/12/2023 at 20:06, Frank Dacey said:

I'm old enough to remember people in the late 60s saying the atmosphere at Anfield was not as i used to be and the same stuff has been said periodically over the next 50 years. Yet over that time we can all remember games when we've come out and the stadium's been rocking. Noise isn't everything; I remember a game against Leeds in 1973 which was effectively a title decider. We were 1-0 up with 10 minutes or so left and I remember thinking how quiet the ground was, not because people were bored but because they were totally wrapped up in the game and the tension of the moment. As you said, Dave, you really don't want to be singing at a time like that.

That was the game when Heighway got the winner? The atmosphere before the KO nearly blew the roof off the Kop.

We all fucking hate Leeds....... The Leeds players walked out onto the pitch before the game and just gawped.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2023 at 10:42, Peter Cormack said:

My dad was at the Ferencvaros game, and right up to his death he insisted that a guy called Zoltan Varga gave the best opposition midfield performance he had ever seen at Anfield. Ended up playing in Scotland at some point. ( Varga, not my dad )

5 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

That was the game when Heighway got the winner? The atmosphere before the KO nearly blew the roof off the Kop.

We all fucking hate Leeds....... The Leeds players walked out onto the pitch before the game and just gawped.

I seem to recall it was Cormack who got the first and Keegan who added a second in the last 10 minutes. Nothing quiet about the ground after that went in. There's a documentary just out on that season on LFC TV called 'Shankly's second coming'. Highly nostalgic!

17 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

I seem to recall it was Cormack who got the first and Keegan who added a second in the last 10 minutes. Nothing quiet about the ground after that went in. There's a documentary just out on that season on LFC TV called 'Shankly's second coming'. Highly nostalgic!

Yep, you're correct mate. I was thinking of the following season (74-75) when a Heighway goal won it.

• dave u unpinned this topic