You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But do you think John Henry would sign off a signing of that cost if the data didn't support it? Not a chance I don't think. And probably rightly too.

I can absolutely believe klopp wanted him. I don't think for a second we'd have got him without it passing our rigourous process. I could see it happening with a low value signing like carvalho, but not at the end of the cost spectrum Nunez is. 

Definitely a klopp vanity purchase. Same as Thiago, Diaz & gakpo. No planning at all with these 4 on how they’re gonna fit in to our set up. 

This is why they’ve all resigned as klopps got the say on who comes in and who stays and goes. He fought for Henderson over the club and let ox & Kieta stay cos they went crying to him and said they didn’t want to leave. 

4 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Definitely a klopp vanity purchase. Same as Thiago, Diaz & gakpo. No planning at all with these 4 on how they’re gonna fit in to our set up. 

This is why they’ve all resigned as klopps got the say on who comes in and who stays and goes. He fought for Henderson over the club and let ox & Kieta stay cos they went crying to him and said they didn’t want to leave. 

It's all klopps fault then. We best sack him quick. Those owners of ours have thrown away everything they believe in from Henry's days as a derivatives trader and is just letting klopp let it all ride on his vanity project.  

It's a good job klopp wasn't around with that random planning when we signed Salah and we already had a sound right winger. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's all klopps fault then. We best sack him quick. Those owners of ours have thrown away everything they believe in from Henry's days as a derivatives trader and is just letting klopp let it all ride on his vanity project.  

It's a good job klopp wasn't around with that random planning when we signed Salah and we already had a sound right winger. 

See this is what you do all the time. Klopp can he criticised without him wanting to be sacked. I had this argument with you after paris last year and your head fell off yet every post you’ve made this season is what I told you would happen. 

btw, klopp wanted Julian brand instead of salah. Good job he was overruled there wasn’t he 

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

See this is what you do all the time. Klopp can he criticised without him wanting to be sacked. I had this argument with you after paris last year and your head fell off yet every post you’ve made this season is what I told you would happen. 

btw, klopp wanted Julian brand instead of salah. Good job he was overruled there wasn’t he 

Why do you think this is his vanity project? There's absolutely no evidence of it aside from you wanting it to be the case. It's complete bullshit.

And the Julian brandt stuff is exactly the point - and klopp wasn't overuled, he was persuaded. We have a process that includes Mike Gordon with the bags of cash, data analysis, old school scouting and the opinion of the coaching team, with klopp being the final say on anyone coming through the door, if he doesn't want them, they don't come in. Every one who comes in is on klopp. It has been since day 1. But they don't get as far as klopp without getting through all the other parts of the process first.

If you want to say he shouldn't be green lighting these players coming because they're not good enough, then fine. Loads of signing go wrong, chamberlain and keita are 2.great examples. But the idea hardened businessmen like John Henry and Tom Werner would allow klopp to run a vanity project, well it's hysterical nonsense.  Over the last 24 hours I've seen this idea from you that recruitment is just a play thing to klopp and from others that he's just signing fellas without a plan. If anyone thinks either of those things are actually true, he should be fired. It's a complete failing in his responsibility. Except it's clearly not the case. Of course the club is going to do its due diligence on players - whos fee costs plus wages are hundreds of millions of pounds. And of course klopp is going to have a plan how to use those players. 

Klopp will make mistakes, because he is a human. But you and others are basically trying to claim he is completely negligent of the clubs assets. It makes absolutely no sense and there's no basis for it. 

• Upvote 6

55 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Diaz was a vanity project?

No planning?

It was obvious he was a target for last summer to replace Mane but once spurs bid we just moved early. And thank fuck we did as without him we likely finish last season empty handed

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There was loads of data to support Nunez' purchase, even just the simple data the public have access to like xG. The issue has always been how raw he is tactically and technically. 

There wasn't a lot of data to support why WE should sign him though.

Given Benfica seemed solely set up to provide Nunez chances to the detriment of the rest of the forwards, and he scored really badly in ball retention and build up play it's inexplicable why we signed him without  a clear idea how to utilise him.

We went through a limited pre-season playing with a false 9 and giving Nunez limited time with the front three you'd expect him to play with, then we tried him upfront and hamstrung Salah as a result pushing him wider and further away from goal to become more of a provider for Nunez, then we went back to the tried and trusted false 9 when it failed.

That we then went on to shift him out to the left, 6 months after buying Diaz for that position, which necessitated the purchase of another player to play the position vacated by Nunez after 6 months of his signing is even more inexplicable.

All around it seems like a gross misallocation of 'limited' funds.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There was loads of data to support Nunez' purchase, even just the simple data the public have access to like xG. The issue has always been how raw he is tactically and technically. 

I've no issue with the idea someone says the lad isn't good enough, although I'll likely disagree based on what I've seen of the player himself and klopps success in moulding forwards throughout his career. But the idea klopp is so unprofessional that he doesn't plan and this is a vanity project - well it doesn't add up to anything we know about klopp, his team and the owners.

I can see an argument that maybe we are too thorough in our process, which is allowing us to sit on players the manager doesn't really want, because there's no someone meeting our exact requirements in the market, so we're operating a somewhat make.do and mend in parts of our recruitment. Basing things on what klopp has said I think this is a reasonable assumption. 

I can even see the argument maybe ljinders is now having a say where there was buvac before and we are just collectively make less good choices as a consequence. Or even more likely it's harder to see the direction of travel because we used to buy players with buvac for a way he and klopp had devised for us to play and we are now trying to develope a different style of play, but we don't quite know what that is yet because of too many injuries and the rebuild is only partly done..these things are clearly discussion points. 

I just really struggle with the idea that people at the club are not doing the basics right and especially when klopp is at the top of that. Sure we.can get things wrong, but I don't for one second think it's through a lack of professionalism. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

57 minutes ago, Red74 said:

How do you know all this stuff?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

There wasn't a lot of data to support why WE should sign him though.

Given Benfica seemed solely set up to provide Nunez chances to the detriment of the rest of the forwards, and he scored really badly in ball retention and build up play it's inexplicable why we signed him without  a clear idea how to utilise him.

We went through a limited pre-season playing with a false 9 and giving Nunez limited time with the front three you'd expect him to play with, then we tried him upfront and hamstrung Salah as a result pushing him wider and further away from goal to become more of a provider for Nunez, then we went back to the tried and trusted false 9 when it failed.

That we then went on to shift him out to the left, 6 months after buying Diaz for that position, which necessitated the purchase of another player to play the position vacated by Nunez after 6 months of his signing is even more inexplicable.

All around it seems like a gross misallocation of 'limited' funds.

I think if you want to shift approaches to playing with a more traditional 9, if you're a layman and you're just looking at players that fit the bill, you'd look at stuff like xG, quantity of shots, shot locations. Nunez for sure has all that. 

What Klopp missed was how not ready he is to lead the line for a big team. He conceded he was raw when we signed him, but I think he miscalculated just how raw.

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've no issue with the idea someone says the lad isn't good enough, although I'll likely disagree based on what I've seen of the player himself and klopps success in moulding forwards throughout his career. But the idea klopp is so unprofessional that he doesn't plan and this is a vanity project - well it doesn't add up to anything we know about klopp, his team and the owners.

I can see an argument that maybe we are too thorough in our process, which is allowing us to sit on players the manager doesn't really want, because there's no someone meeting our exact requirements in the market, so we're operating a somewhat make.do and mend in parts of our recruitment. Basing things on what klopp has said I think this is a reasonable assumption. 

I can even see the argument maybe ljinders is now having a say where there was buvac before and we are just collectively make less good choices as a consequence. Or even more likely it's harder to see the direction of travel because we used to buy players with buvac for a way he and klopp had devised for us to play and we are now trying to develope a different style of play, but we don't quite know what that is yet because of too many injuries and the rebuild is only partly done..these things are clearly discussion points. 

I just really struggle with the idea that people at the club are not doing the basics right and especially when klopp is at the top of that. Sure we.can get things wrong, but I don't for one second think it's through a lack of professionalism. 

Clubs make mistakes in the market all the time. It doesn't mean they're unprofessional. 

Not that Darwin is for sure a mistake yet, but he's absolutely not a success either. 

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think if you want to shift approaches to playing with a more traditional 9, if you're a layman and you're just looking at players that fit the bill, you'd look at stuff like xG, quantity of shots, shot locations. Nunez for sure has all that. 

A lot of that was assumptions made in the run up to his signing exactly because of the type of striker he was. It was inconceivable that we'd sign him and then try and play his as a false 9.

However, apart from a handful of games post Charity Shield/Fulham there's been nothing to suggest that's the plan and nothing in our supposed transfer targets, or the purchase and use of Gakpo, that suggests it's seen as a viable option going forward.

Klopp described him as a #9 who can also play as a #11, but at the moment it looks like we've had to repurpose him as a #11 who can sometimes play as a #9.

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

Please let us know how you know all this. If you cant do that it will look like it’s just something you made up, and not really worth commenting.

I wouldn’t call Nunez a vanity project, but I agree 100% with Stacksy and TD_LFC in that we bought him as a #9 and possibly realised too late that he’s much better playing on the left (for us at least). 

The Gakpo signing could possibly have been a knock-on effect of that. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility. 

That said, we’ve got a decent, versatile, new set of forwards now. Arguing over strikers is futile. In the summer we need to build the midfield that brings it all together. 

So John Percy at the telegraph says we want Bellingham, mount, Caecido.
Jason Burt at the Times saying other alternatives are being sought rather than Nunes. Wolves removed a clause in the contract, they want over 50 million now so Liverpool will move on. 
He’s never worth anywhere near that is he, if we got the afore mentioned three players I think we’d be over the moon. They’ll cost a fortune though. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I wouldn’t call Nunez a vanity project, but I agree 100% with Stacksy and TD_LFC in that we bought him as a #9 and possibly realised too late that he’s much better playing on the left (for us at least). 

The Gakpo signing could possibly have been a knock-on effect of that. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility. 

That said, we’ve got a decent, versatile, new set of forwards now. Arguing over strikers is futile. In the summer we need to build the midfield that brings it all together. 

I think the only reason he's playing on the left is because it's a simpler job for him. He just has to run up and down the side. To me, that's just temporary because what we wanted to do; shift the tactics to have him play centrally, have Salah play wider, have Diaz on the left, a more traditional left winger, didn't work whatsoever.

And then we bought Gakpo, who due to his pretty complete set of skills, could play the striker role the way we had before with Firmino or Jota. We've been bandaid-ing it this whole season.

We have to imperatively find a way for Nunez to be effective through the middle at some point. 

On 02/04/2023 at 17:55, Barrington Womble said:

I'm starting to get concerned that all we're really being linked to are attacking midfielders. Surely we have to be in for a number 6? And you'd have hoped a centre back too, which has been quiet except for the ndicka link which the club quickly squashed through the echo. 

I’m petty convinced he’s planning to change his preferred formation from 433 to 4231. Even if we stick with 433 we’re not going back to the archetypal Klopp midfield at Liverpool off three hard working, functional players. Everyone we’re seriously linked with offers some kind of attacking threat. Bellingham will probably be one of the two in midfield but expected to play box to box rather than just sit. 

• Upvote 1