You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mon 2 Jan 17:30 Brentford vs Liverpool

Lee909

We got out of jail on Friday night. After almost making Leicester, who got their arses handed to them by Newcastle, in front of their own fans and, we made look quite good at Anfield, I really thought we'd be up for this. I was wrong.

I love Jurgen, he's done incredible things at this club. I dont understand why he and the coaching staff havent addressed the problems in defence. You can pay a heavy price because of too much loyalty to your boys. We look every bit as shaky at the back now as we did before he and Virgil arrived. Maybe they have tried addressing the issues but the players arent listening or capable of doing what's asked any more?

It doesnt seem to matter who we have in the back 4, we look as shaky as fuck. And no, it's not just because the midfield is shit or Ox played or Harvey played.

Im talking the back 4 cant seem to defend any more and especially at corners. Even with the best midfield in front of them to protect them, I couldnt see this defence keeping a cleansheet. Good luck if others think a whole new midfield solves all the problems, we're sorted and, back to 100 points a season form. But I dont see it.

We were all over the shop defending any corner Brentford got. Konate was desparately unlucky the ball came off his shin and left Alli unable to get near it. But even after that, they had the ball in the net twice more only for VAR to correctly rule them out. That, by the way, says a lot to me about the ref tonight. Some fucking weird decisions he didnt spot and like it or not, that's a shove on Konate for the 3rd.

But when Brentford did get their 2nd, Trent unfortunately got caught out. Im not blaming him for the 2nd but it happens a little too often. Either coach him to attack the ball better in those situations or, bite the fucking bullet, move him into midfield and put someone who can head a ball at right back.

Once again Darwin had a great chance and was unlucky Mee got back to block it. Or, could a bit more composure have made sure the ball ended in the net instead? Tough call, I dont know. What I do know is, you cant keep just saying 'unlucky' on every missed chance or offside goal.

He scored a lovely 'goal' a few minutes of the 2nd half restart. Only he'd timed his run wrong and was offside.

Ox soon pulled a goal back and I thought he was having a good game, certainly better than his instant detractors on here would give him credit for. That still gave us the best part of 30 minutes to find an equaliser. Against fucking Brentford! We should have been looking for a winner at that stage. Fair play to Brentford. Once again, they shocked us and probably deserved the win for sheer tenacity and effort. But it doesnt sit easy with me that they were better than us.

And why the fuck was Mo playing out wide all game again? We seem to have gone back to this Mo on the wing and Darwin down the middle. I dont like it. They seemed to link up well in the first 10 or so minutes but after that?

I really dont see us getting past Real in the CL or Wolves in the FAC at this rate and form. 4th is looking a real struggle and we cannot have any more slip ups if we are to nick it.

It's not fucking good enough, Jurgen. Sort it out and quickly, please.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

The shocking thing is Klopp was getting more out of the shite he inherited all those years ago , obviously something isn't right with the squad right now but to show that level of desire hunger and professional nous is just completely unacceptable for any  Liverpool team .

I'm not buying that Virgil was injured either the look on his face said it all for me he was hooked and didn't like it well no player is bigger than this club .

It's going to take a huge investment in the team to turn this shit show around this season and I honestly think top 4 is well beyond us  now so now FSG Its over to you , do you shit or bust and hope against hope that Jurgen can work the magic once again and drag this team into the top 4 again without some signings. 

I just wish  Klopp had the ruthless streak a lot of the great managers had, no fucking about you are either of use or you are not. Nobody is above criticism so Klopp deserves some but I'd get rid of every single player and everyone associated with the club before Klopp and thats in spite of this weird blindness or refusal to address huge glaring weaknesses in the tactical set up.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Elite said:

From a tactically perspective. We aren't well drilled in the slightest.

Agree with this 100%

Its clear to see the team doesn't have the legs to play with a high line or press much at all, yet here we are halfway through the season still doing the same shit hoping it will change. How many games more will we still see the fullbacks getting caught up high and the CB having to pull wide causing a overload on the back post. How many times do we need to see Trent asleep at the far post of the midfield either overran or just bypassed by a long ball down the flanks. 

Its the same shit each week. It was the same when we had the injury issues and putting Fabinho at the back, for weeks we watch the midfield unable to cope without him and in the end got lucky we didn't leave it any longer before reverting to Williams and Phillips and being more conservative in defence. 

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

From a tactically perspective. We aren't well drilled in the slightest.

I think the team is drilled, but the tactics are not as effective, because the execution is poor. A combination of lethargy and confidence.

Just logged on briefly to say:

1. Bumcunt - you referred to a black player as a monkey. It doesn’t matter if you put the word cross in front of it because that shit doesn’t fly in 2023. Have a word with yourself.

2. Intensity is our identity? Not any more. Organisation and pressing? Not any more. Carrying on until the very end to dig out a result? Not any more. Maybe the end of last season broke us, but it’s difficult to see how it is fixed.

Anyway, Happy New Year y’all. Signing out again.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I just wish  Klopp had the ruthless streak a lot of the great managers had, no fucking about you are either of use or you are not. Nobody is above criticism so Klopp deserves some but I'd get rid of every single player and everyone associated with the club before Klopp and thats in spite of this weird blindness or refusal to address huge glaring weaknesses in the tactical set up.

You can only be ruthless when you have squad options. Klopp could ‘drop’ a lot of players, but a team of youngsters has a hard steep learning curve ahead of it. Could it be worse? Possibly.

19 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

2 seasons ago, we had a defensive injury crisis. This season we have a striker injury crisis, with a raw new signing having to shoulder the burden, with plenty of help from Mo. If Darwin had put away just half the chances he’s missed, we’d be two places up the table. I know he’s scored 9 goals, but its a low hit rate on his opportunities. 
He’ll come right, but we need those goals now.

We must have been a goal down after 30min the last 30 games, or it does feels like it.

Just now, Red Shift said:

You can only ruthless when you have squad options. Klopp could ‘drop’ a lot of players, but a team of youngsters has a hard steep learning curve ahead of it. Could it be worse? Possibly.

I mean in transfer windows too. Honestly I think if Lallana wanted to be here he still would be because Klopp loves him as a person, same for Ings. Okay I'm partially messing about but it goes for the fans too, we never want to sell anybody just let every fucker run out of contract or pick up their pension while still having a squad number. 

11 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Jurgen has more goodwill in the bank after what he’s done for us without entitled CUNTS like you questioning him. There’s quite a few raising their heads above the parapet in here today. Just fuck off, get back on Twitter with all the other knee jerk twats. This place was mainly full of decent fans not too long back, looks like it’s attracted a load of glory hunting cunts if this thread is anything to go by. FUCK OFF. Cunt. 

Spot on, its amazing how willing people are to roll out shite like this every time there is a bad run of form or a shit result(stuff like its like his last season at Dortmund etc.).

I will caveat this doesn't mean i think the manager is above recieveing criticism for decisions etc.

32 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I don’t think Klopp actually cares that much anymore. He’s won everything possible, made millions, seen it all before. I remember the old Klopp screaming at the players, running down the touch line, shouting at referees. Now we concede 3 goals and he just stands there grinning. He’s waiting for the German job.  

Give your head a wobble, mate.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do a good job while positioning for a top international role?

It's infuriating but it isn't surprising. We lost the game in the first half, and particularly the second goal was unforgivable. To do what we did in the manner we did immediately after a var let off is a serious mentality issue. That let off should focus and galvanise you to go again. 

The little margins make a big difference and I think maybe Trent, with the full trophy locker in his cabinet at 23, and the amount of smoke up his arse, does not play with full focus 100 percent of the time. 

If we take one thing away from today then Elliott, who I rate, shouldn't be starting away games, possibly any games.

Utterly gash, very reminiscent of the bad old days when we'd fall apart at places like Stoke and Hull.

We'd actually been OK for 10-15 minutes but from the moment Brentford went on a counter-attack that needed a save by Ali, we just could not get a foothold. Darwin had had an effort blocked (if that was Haaland, the exact same shot would find the net) and Kostas fired a powderpuff effort straight at the keeper.

What was alarming was how ragged we became. Brentford found the net 4 times in that first half and had 2 chalked off for offside.

Virg was hooked at half time, supposedly with a knock, but there was an air of complacency about him all game. One instance, when we were 1-0 down, saw him toss the ball in the vague direction of Kostas who wanted to take a quick throw in, but had to retrieve the ball first. If he is giving those vibes, a spell on the sidelines will do him good and get his head back in the game. Mo - one fine pass to Darwin in the first half aside - was similarly ineffectual and didn't try to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Something is very broken about us, because there just isn't any intensity or real belief that we might be contenders for anything.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Jurgen has more goodwill in the bank after what he’s done for us without entitled CUNTS like you questioning him. There’s quite a few raising their heads above the parapet in here today. Just fuck off, get back on Twitter with all the other knee jerk twats. This place was mainly full of decent fans not too long back, looks like it’s attracted a load of glory hunting cunts if this thread is anything to go by. FUCK OFF. Cunt. 

Weird flex. This is not North Korea. 

The really annoying/ confusing thing is the signing of Gakpo  good player don't get me wrong but we need a midfielder or two, Klopp said in the summer he was wrong and admitted we needed a midfielder we loan Arthur who played 13 minutes and gets a long term injury here we are 5 months later next transfer window rolls around and we buy........ A FUCKING attacker and supposedly no more money without selling to bring anybody else in Arthur is still fucked, I just don't get who is buying the players and what is Klopp doing about it? We've had 2 transfer "gurus" quit inside 12 months Edwards and now Ward half the medical team fucked off before the season started and Pep "Intensity is our identity" Lijnders seem to have more of a say than any assistant, it all stinks to high heaven it needs sorting soon either FSG pony up the money or they sell soon.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

We got out of jail on Friday night. After almost making Leicester, who got their arses handed to them by Newcastle, in front of their own fans and, we made look quite good at Anfield, I really thought we'd be up for this. I was wrong.

I love Jurgen, he's done incredible things at this club. I dont understand why he and the coaching staff havent addressed the problems in defence. You can pay a heavy price because of too much loyalty to your boys. We look every bit as shaky at the back now as we did before he and Virgil arrived. Maybe they have tried addressing the issues but the players arent listening or capable of doing what's asked any more?

It doesnt seem to matter who we have in the back 4, we look as shaky as fuck. And no, it's not just because the midfield is shit or Ox played or Harvey played.

Im talking the back 4 cant seem to defend any more and especially at corners. Even with the best midfield in front of them to protect them, I couldnt see this defence keeping a cleansheet. Good luck if others think a whole new midfield solves all the problems, we're sorted and, back to 100 points a season form. But I dont see it.

We were all over the shop defending any corner Brentford got. Konate was desparately unlucky the ball came off his shin and left Alli unable to get near it. But even after that, they had the ball in the net twice more only for VAR to correctly rule them out. That, by the way, says a lot to me about the ref tonight. Some fucking weird decisions he didnt spot and like it or not, that's a shove on Konate for the 3rd.

But when Brentford did get their 2nd, Trent unfortunately got caught out. Im not blaming him for the 2nd but it happens a little too often. Either coach him to attack the ball better in those situations or, bite the fucking bullet, move him into midfield and put someone who can head a ball at right back.

Once again Darwin had a great chance and was unlucky Mee got back to block it. Or, could a bit more composure have made sure the ball ended in the net instead? Tough call, I dont know. What I do know is, you cant keep just saying 'unlucky' on every missed chance or offside goal.

He scored a lovely 'goal' a few minutes of the 2nd half restart. Only he'd timed his run wrong and was offside.

Ox soon pulled a goal back and I thought he was having a good game, certainly better than his instant detractors on here would give him credit for. That still gave us the best part of 30 minutes to find an equaliser. Againt fucking Brentford! We should have been looking for a winner at that stage. Fair play to Brentford. Once again, they shocked us and probably deserved the win for sheer tenacity and effort. But it doesnt sit easy with me that they were better than us.

And why the fuck was Mo playing out wide all game again? We seem to have gone back to this Mo on the wing and Darwin down the middle. I dont like it. They seemed to link up well in the first 10 or so minutes but after that?

I really dont see us getting past Real in the CL or Wolves in the FAC at this rate and form. 4th is looking a real struggle and we cannot have any more slip ups if we are to nick it.

It's not fucking good enough, Jurgen. Sort it out and quickly, please.

Brentford got only one goal from a corner. You’re right, we looked dodgy, but those corners were the result of getting hit far too easily on the counter attack because of our poorly executed tactics. BTW, give Brentford some credit for whipping in excellent corners. Why aren’t we doing the same from our corners?

Darwin has been very very wasteful since arriving, but that offside was a very fine margin indeed, and I thought the angle used by VAR was poor. Another angle may have seen him onside, it was that close, but what a take and what a finish. 

Yeah, Mo playing out wide. WTF was that all about? perhaps he was just trying to find more space…Brentford pretty much parked the bus real early, but it was frustrating to see.

Fourth is going to be a massive fight, but Spurs are imploding and Newcastle just look like they’ve lost their head of steam. We’ll need to beat Chelsea at home and away, if they go on a run. As Ive said before though, Chelsea’s current lethargy is not too dissimilar to ours - no surprises that they were run as ragged as us last season and have been just as slow out of the blocks. Tuchel was the scapegoat and Potter won’t know how to fix it. Its the same issue. Mental and physical lethargy. Neither Chelsea or us have the squad depth of the Oil Cheats.

If we beat Real Madrid, and yes, its a massive if, it will be a huge boost in confidence, which our key players seem to really need. I think we’ve a different attitude in Europe and look strong. The lads lookup for it. They’ve lost interest in the league - unprofessional, but not surprising after being Title challengers for 3 out of 4 seasons.

Jurgen’s hands are tied…too an extent. The purse strings are held by others. Gakpo will make a huge difference up front - badly needed. Jurgen’s comments at the pre Brentford presser, didn’t bode well for further renewal in January. His fault? How do we know he isn’t screaming down the phone to get it done? Maybe he’s too nice a guy, I don’t know.

My only real questions of Jurgen are about our persistent 4-3-3 formation and continual push forward when we continually get caught out with bad passing and an inability to rescue the situation after making terrible mistakes in possession. Again and again and again.

Like others on here, I want changes. Yes its a great experiment, but why can’t Trent play RM with Gomez behind him? He lives on the halfway line anyway, whats the fucking difference?

We could play Darwin and Mo more  central, with Cody in the hole.

Anything but the ineffective 4-3-3 we’re currently butchering.

• Upvote 3