You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chess?

Bruce Spanner

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

Last 10 games I've won 1, managed to somehow draw 3 games I should have won and lost 6. Shite. 

You can change the settings so you get a better get spread of games. 

When you set up ‘challenge’ select -400 and + 50 as ranges.

You get to practice against others in a similar boat whilst still playing to a decent standard.

Means you don’t keep getting beat as well, which you don’t really learn much from unless you analyse the games.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

You can change the settings so you get a better get spread of games. 

When you set up ‘challenge’ select -400 and + 50 as ranges.

You get to practice against others in a similar boat whilst still playing to a decent standard.

Means you don’t keep getting beat as well, which you don’t really learn much from unless you analyse the games.

Nice one Bruce. Will try that. 

Play the computer. Start at a fairly low rating for the computer and then increase it as you start to get results regularly. You'll get a consistent performance from the computer so you can tell if you're improving plus you can take a move  back if you blunder so you haven't wasted the whole game because of one fuck up. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Never really played ut a bit bored so I thought I try and learn. I don't get this shit. It's trying to force me into accepting a stalemate draw as the Black king has no legal move that doesn't put him into check. 

Surely that's a win? 

IMG_20210415_232326.jpg

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Never really played ut a bit bored so I thought I try and learn. I don't get this shit. It's trying to force me into accepting a stalemate draw as the Black king has no legal move that doesn't put him into check. 

Surely that's a win? 

IMG_20210415_232326.jpg

If only move available to king is to put self in check then it is stalemate, as you are not allowed to put self in check.

On 15/04/2021 at 23:44, Lee909 said:

Well that's shite

I still struggle with it. Very frustrating. I watch a fair bit of Hikaru Nakimura on you tube and his advice is when you're getting to end game and you're winning then you must try to keep putting the opponents King in check with your moves, otherwise you can get into a stalemate situation very easily once you have his king backtracking. 

8 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m bouncing around 1,000 after 750 games.  Think that must be my level now. 

On what time format, mate?

I'm an 850-ish player in blitz, but I'm about 1250-1300 in slower formats. I've seen people do the other way around, though - they're just as good in shorter time formats as longer, which means relative to others (like me) who crumble under pressure, they score higher in blitz/bullet.

I swear I am ahead in most games with anyone under 1000, but it gets down to under a minute and I will blunder something every time. I always tell myself I won't but as soon as the clock gets down there I just blow it.

I watch Magnus Carlsen banter blitz games (whoever came up with the name needs shooting in the face, dead hard (copywright Tom Ross circa 2003)). Even though what's going on is well over my head I play better after watching his videos and occasionally can guess the opponents next move. 

My ego cannot take playing people and losing to them though so I tend to play the computer on pretty low skill levels. I still often get check mated against within 10 moves against one of the easier bots, haven't really figured out the defence in the early stages of the game.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I watch Magnus Carlsen banter blitz games (whoever came up with the name needs shooting in the face, dead hard (copywright Tom Ross circa 2003)). Even though what's going on is well over my head I play better after watching his videos and occasionally can guess the opponents next move. 

My ego cannot take playing people and losing to them though so I tend to play the computer on pretty low skill levels. I still often get check mated against within 10 moves against one of the easier bots, haven't really figured out the defence in the early stages of the game.

I prefer playing the bots too.

You should try and castle kingside as soon as you can with your knight on the Kb3 square as that will give you a solid defence in the early stages. You shouldn't be pushing anything past half-way except maybe one bishop until you've developed both knights and bishops. Minimise  pawn moves in the early stages except the central pawns and maybe pushing a rook pawn forward one to drive away an attacking bishop. Those general rules should see you through the opening stages without worrying too much about learning specific openings. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m playing 10 minute games. I’ve played 745 so far, got up to 1270 but am back at 1,000. I need more openings, I’ve got one that works well against weaker players but  nothing else. 

This video goes over two openings for white that have served me very well against better players. I used to always just get crushed by anyone over 1200, but now, if I'm white at least, I have a system that gets me to the middle game even, or even up .5 pawns or something (according to the computer) and then I have a chance. I still lose most of them, because obviously I'm not that good, but at least I'm not blundering a piece in the opening and pretty much done 10 moves in.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...