You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harvey Elliott

suzy

44 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Excellent last night. By far the best player on the pitch. Work rate tracking back was superb. Still plenty more to come from him aswell. 

He was very good. Most complete performance I’ve seen from him. Hopefully has a few goals in him to add to the hard work. 

I thought he was ok, nothing special, he worked hard and did a few simple things right but he is too slow when tracking back. 

He wasn't brave on the ball always looking to offload it to either milner or TAA.

I'm not saying he was bad I just not going to go overboard on an ok performance. As to the best player on the pitch that goes to Diaz, not just for the goal but for his all round game.

35 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

A real improvement, yesterday, I thought. He's exasperated me in the past, with the chasm between how great Pep keeps insisting he is and how little he actually seems to do, but that was better. Hopefully he builds on it from now on.

He was fine last night and Im more than ok cutting young players some slack. To be honest, Id rather see Elliot and Carvalho in midfield to Keita.

2 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

I thought he was ok, nothing special, he worked hard and did a few simple things right but he is too slow when tracking back. 

He wasn't brave on the ball always looking to offload it to either milner or TAA.

I'm not saying he was bad I just not going to go overboard on an ok performance. As to the best player on the pitch that goes to Diaz, not just for the goal but for his all round game.

He played the Henderson position, it's his job to keep the ball and give it to our more attacking and better players.

His role isn't to constantly play  great through balls in that position or beat players consistently.

He was great in that first half, to say he was just ok isn't giving him much credit, Diaz didn't do much. 2nd half he got tired and I agree that Diaz was the best player on the pitch after half time

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

Agree. He lacks pace and goes backwards far too much for me.

He was good last night. Not quite at the level from the start of last season, but the closest he’s been after his injury. 

He was good on the ball, created a couple of chances and also had a couple of decent finishes. Best part however was his workrate and defensive contribution. Won 5 tackles, which is more than Henderson does over a season, and made two interceptions which was more than any team mate. Also very aggressive in the pressing when we lost the ball, if Trent and Fabinho had done the same we’d have stopped the counter attack for their goal.

7 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Couldn't agree more. He still takes one touch too many but that will improve. Hope he has an injury free season.

He definitely needs to move the ball more quickly. I can't help but think at the moment he's being a little too sure of his next pass and just needs to make it all a little more instinctive. He works his nuts off though. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

He definitely needs to move the ball more quickly. I can't help but think at the moment he's being a little too sure of his next pass and just needs to make it all a little more instinctive. He works his nuts off though. 

I'd expect any player to work their balls off in any PL first team though. Its the least any of them can do.

10 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd expect any player to work their balls off in any PL first team though. Its the least any of them can do.

I don't disagree with that. But it stands out in our midfield currently as our main 3 when they're on the pitch don't seem to - I assume it's because they're nursing injuries. And as hard as milner tries, his lack of mobility and speed doesn't make him stand out. Keita sulks and doesn't always put 100%, so quite quickly you see someone working hard, it's noticeable. 

The difference between Elliott and, say,  Olise, is vast.  

If you want to believe Elliott is a better creative midfielder, well, that's unfortunate. 

We're Liverpool.  Our rivals and peers are not Palace, they are Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Man City.  Teams like Palace should be in awe of our young talent, but I don't think they'd swap Jones for Eze, or Olise for Elliott.

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's a tricky balance with young players. I remember Curtis Jones being more instinctive when he first emerged - examples ranging from that unbelievable strike against Everton to pointless showboating like rabonas and stepovers. 

Maybe some struggle to mix what is probably detailed instruction with their own innovation, especially if they're being asked to cut out the lower percentage stuff. 

Agree that it would be great to see Elliott back himself more, or be encouraged to by management. 

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

So, we need to swap our young attacking central midfielders for forwards that don't score any goals?

It doesn't seem a flawless plan.

Cannot beat a man see and goes around in circles almost like he has been asked to do a job and reign it it isn’t it. Seen him beat players regularly though not the fastest incredibly skilful, quite a few assists with forward thinking passes too. 

Eze and Olise aren't forwards. 

If they're forwards then Jones and Elliott are forwards. 

Why the fuck are we wasting our breath with the idea that Elliott or Jones are elite level young midfield players?  Why waste our time for a second? 

Gavi

Pedro

Foden

Bellingham

Camavinga

Wirtz

Tchouameni

That's the fucking level at the top.  The truth is, I'd add a second layer of players below these who are still better than Elliott and Jones.

Fabio Vieiri

Charles De Ketelaere

Gio Reyna

Dominic Szozoboslai

Ryan Gravenberch

Sandro Tonali

I could even add a third

Jacob Ramsey

Michael Olise

Brendan Aaronsen

Connor Gallagher 

Plenty more I'm sure.