You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal Post-Wenger

Ne Moe Imya

Arsenal fans still never shut up about that game at Anfield in 1989. The ones I used to work with would mention it at least once a week. One said they did the whole footballing world a favour by beating us. 

They only won because we literally ran out of steam. I dont even see why they dislike us that much, given that there was no hard feelings about the game and the majority of our fans stayed behind to applaud them when they were given the trophy.

I'd like to see another set of fans lose the title at home with the least kick of the season and applaud the opposition getting the trophy.

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Arsenal fans still never shut up about that game at Anfield in 1989. The ones I used to work with would mention it at least once a week. One said they did the whole footballing world a favour by beating us. 

They only won because we literally ran out of steam. I dont even see why they dislike us that much, given that there was no hard feelings about the game and the majority of our fans stayed behind to applaud them when they were given the trophy.

I'd like to see another set of fans lose the title at home with the least kick of the season and applaud the opposition getting the trophy.

We speak less about our 6 European cups than they do about 89. And they do have an irrational hatred for Liverpool for some odd reason.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

We speak less about our 6 European cups than they do about 89. And they do have an irrational hatred for Liverpool for some odd reason.

Weird isn't it. Even the invincible season they drew 12 games yet last season we ended up with far more points than them and won virtually all our games bar the last few. Yet they kept going on about having a gold subbuteo Premier League trophy. 

Apparently when we lost in 1989 we gave them tons of champagne to celebrate in the dressing room. But they all buzz off Steve McMahon for walking round saying "one minute".

• Upvote 1

On 23/12/2020 at 09:37, Dr Nowt said:

The one where Henry really butchered Carra was in the league under Ged as I recall. During the run-in following the infamous “ten games from greatness” comment.

EDIT: I say that like it only happened once. Really bad one in the FA Cup game under Rafa too, among other examples. Didn’t Carra say it was like chasing after someone on a motorbike?

They beat is the FA Cup and League Cup within the space of a few days. Both at Anfield,1-3 and 3-6 I think.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

18 years of champions league football and not one European cup. Fuck wengers Arsenal fuck onyx heads Arsenal fuck Arsenal.

They got to a final and stayed relevant while playing good football. It was a hell of a feat without a Sugar Daddy owner. I would also add that I reckon building a new stadium set them back and they still haven't recovered from it.

13 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They got to a final and stayed relevant while playing good football. It was a hell of a feat without a Sugar Daddy owner. I would also add that I reckon building a new stadium set them back and they still haven't recovered from it.

They were George Graham-level negative the year they got to the final, as I recall... 

18 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

They were George Graham-level negative the year they got to the final, as I recall... 

Doesn't take away from the great job Wenger did overall and the crater sized hole left over after Wenger's departure and/or their new stadium struggles. At least they were relevant for a while. Spurs might actually have a chance of the League Cup with Mourinho in charge and that would make things even worse for Arsenal.

40 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Doesn't take away from the great job Wenger did overall and the crater sized hole left over after Wenger's departure and/or their new stadium struggles. At least they were relevant for a while. Spurs might actually have a chance of the League Cup with Mourinho in charge and that would make things even worse for Arsenal.

I completely agree. I just find it ironic (don't you think?) that Wenger's most successful European season was based on that kind of football...

On 26/12/2020 at 08:29, Josef Svejk said:

I completely agree. I just find it ironic (don't you think?) that Wenger's most successful European season was based on that kind of football...

Fair point. Arguably we were pretty rubbish at times when winning the CL under Rafa in 2005 too. You have to play to your strengths at the time and it would suggest that the Arsenal teams noted for their flair and exciting styles of football were actually driven by a desire to win over all else,eg they were winners and that's hard to replicate,especially in their current state. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Been annoying me for a while this. We’re always hearing about how Arsenal shouldn’t be regressing so quickly because they’ve got a shiny new stadium in the capital. Leaving aside the absurdity of that argument, what’s pissing me off is the ‘shiny new’ part of that sentence. 

What is the Emirates now? 15 years old? How long does a stadium have to exist before it stops becoming shiny and new? I went to a game there when Suarez played for us and that feels like half a lifetime ago.