You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

VAR Thoughts?

Lee909

9 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Colwill was never going to get to the ball, with or without Endo. 

Come on mate, he started within an arm's length of Van Dijk. It was an inswinging looping delivery, with no great pace, that Van Dijk didn't even have to jump to head.

Colwill would've had to be slower than Charlie Adam after 40 Bensons to fail to get there.

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Come on mate, he started within an arm's length of Van Dijk. It was an inswinging looping delivery, with no great pace, that Van Dijk didn't even have to jump to head.

Colwill would've had to be slower than Charlie Adam after 40 Bensons to fail to get there.

Take a look at the incident (5:20 onwards) and ask yourself if Colwill truly made the effort to go with Virgil. He was not putting any effort to push Endo away. 

Just now, Carra_is_legend said:

Take a look at the incident (5:20 onwards) and ask yourself if Colwill truly made the effort to go with Virgil. He was not putting any effort to push Endo away. 

It doesn't matter how much effort he puts in, he's blocked. I'd want him to do far better if he played for us, but it doesn't change the fact Endo was put there to block him, and did so successfully. He only has to hold up his run for a split second for it to be effective.

It was a brilliant play. It was just a pity Endo was watching Colwill too much to notice he started from an offside position.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It doesn't matter how much effort he puts in, he's blocked. I'd want him to do far better if he played for us, but it doesn't change the fact Endo was put there to block him, and did so successfully. He only has to hold up his run for a split second for it to be effective.

It was a brilliant play. It was just a pity Endo was watching Colwill too much to notice he started from an offside position.

Fair enough mate, I think it was bollocks to disallow that goal personally but you clearly don't see it that way. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It may be unpopular but I agree with you.

Endo offside? Check!

Did he interfer with the play? Check!

People seem to compare the block from Endo with other incidets after corners etc. They're missing the point. The goal wasn't overruled because of Endo's block alone, it was disallowed because he was offside and interferred with the play.

We've been thoroughly shaftet by Refs and VAR repeatdely this season. This, however, was not one to complain about.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mook said:

It has completely ruined Football.

It has definitely made it a lot worse and worse still has been how it has sucked the joy around the spontaneity of a goal. A once dynamic game is interrupted and delayed as much as the sports it has always been far more entertaining than.

Haven't seen it mentioned here before, but it pisses me right off that Bradley got a yellow. The snide Chilwell attacks him and even graps at his face. Conor shows great calm and professionalism by not doing anything else than to stand his ground. I doubt I could've contained myself from planting at fist on his nose.

Yet Conor's booked for it. Booked for nothing, booked because Chilwell attacked him. It's bullshit. What  if Conor was already on a yellow and Chilwell not?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

Haven't seen it mentioned here before, but it pisses me right off that Bradley got a yellow. The snide Chilwell attacks him and even graps at his face. Conor shows great calm and professionalism by not doing anything else than to stand his ground. I doubt I could've contained myself from planting at fist on his nose.

Yet Conor's booked for it. Booked for nothing, booked because Chilwell attacked him. It's bullshit. What  if Conor was already on a yellow and Chilwell not?

Booked for being pushed while Caciedo escapes a booking for going straight through Gravenberch's leg.

Well done the referee.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JustTosh said:

It made me so angry at the time. The bullshit fucking referees always think OK, let me book both to calm the situation down. No, you don't have to book both the players you cunt, you book the one that started it, especially when the other one did not even retaliate and 20 fucking years old. 

Chilwell is an embarrassing cunt isn't he? To do that to a 20 year old when literally nothing happened, especially when the lad lost his dad like 2/3 weeks ago. Chilwell was doing that whole night, trying to pick on the young lads. This league has some cunts captaining the clubs - Chilwell, Fernandes, Odegaard..

You know what I fucking loved, Gakpo was right in there for Bradley, pushed Chilwell away who then started to jump up and down like a little fucking chicken. 

17 hours ago, Leyton388 said:

You can guarantee that no other goals will be ruled out this season for the same thing. 

Arsenal have been doing tbe exact same blocking off for over a year now and I've not seem them punished. Every week a they have players offside that run out blocking defenders running

2 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

It made me so angry at the time. The bullshit fucking referees always think OK, let me book both to calm the situation down. No, you don't have to book both the players you cunt, you book the one that started it, especially when the other one did not even retaliate and 20 fucking years old. 

Chilwell is an embarrassing cunt isn't he? To do that to a 20 year old when literally nothing happened, especially when the lad lost his dad like 2/3 weeks ago. Chilwell was doing that whole night, trying to pick on the young lads. This league has some cunts captaining the clubs - Chilwell, Fernandes, Odegaard..

You know what I fucking loved, Gakpo was right in there for Bradley, pushed Chilwell away who then started to jump up and down like a little fucking chicken. 

Chilwell that lad that has his mates hold him back when a fight breaks out and when forced into goes after the smallest guy in the group. The tory face shithouse

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Worked for us yesterday but it’s a load of bollocks 

How did it work for us?

Lino correctly flagged the Sterling goal off - so no need for it there.

It micro managed disallowing VVD's first goal - a disallowing that would never have taken place without it....

It created a tense 2 min or so wait for Sterling one where longer it went on more thought oh bollocks they are gonna give it, when there was no need for that stress as lino had already flagged it and it sucked the joy out of our 1st 'goal' - the limbs in ground replaced by confusion and disbelief as all the screens said we 'checking possible offside'...yet ref is off to pitchside monitor - obviously they don't use pitchside monitor for offsides so nobody had a clue what was going on....as usual with the poxy way they use the poxy shite.

3 hours ago, JustTosh said:

It may be unpopular but I agree with you.

Endo offside? Check!

Did he interfer with the play? Check!

People seem to compare the block from Endo with other incidets after corners etc. They're missing the point. The goal wasn't overruled because of Endo's block alone, it was disallowed because he was offside and interferred with the play.

No, the offside was not the reason. Peter Walton, for example, said:

"Wataru Endo was standing in an offside position but he does not commit an offence because of that. The Liverpool midfielder goes on to commit an offence — interfering with play by stopping Levi Colwill from getting a clear run at the ball to try to stop Van Dijk. The law is quite clear on that aspect and so Van Dijk’s header was correctly disallowed.

If the offence had only been offside, that would not have been a subjective call and there would have been no need for Chris Kavanagh, the referee, to go to the monitor".

What Walton and other refs fail to explain, however, is how the fact that many players, many times in many games, in the same or similar situations in the box, do what this player did and they don't get penalised. Inconsistency, once again, is the issue.

17 hours ago, Dicko said:

It is not VAR it is the officials operating it.

They are fucking shit.

17 hours ago, Bob said:

Piss off. In the nicest possible way. They are one.

No VAR in previous rounds - everyone happy to the point that it's being openly discussed as being a positive on radio and TV. 

Var in the final, disallows a perfectly good goal simply because they can.

Ita dreadful.

4 hours ago, Bob said:

They looked. They just decided it was careless not reckless and to be honest I tend to agree. 

Ref or lino should have seen it and should have booked him, but VAR can't do anything unless it's a red and I don't think it is.

You're literally proving my point.

Kavanagh & Brooks will still be shit even without VAR.

Was amazed that none of Chelsea's early fouls were considered yellow card-able. The Chilwell one where he made a mistake and then chopped Bradley down as he steamed into the box was one of the worst non-cards I have seen all season and woukd have seen him sent off before half time with the subsequent Conor row.

On a related topic the Echo has a load of PL stats under the tables and it appears that in about 250 PL matches this season not a single yellow card has been issued before the 8th minute.  It appears you can maim people without rebuke as long as you do it early.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Was amazed that none of Chelsea's early fouls were considered yellow card-able. The Chilwell one where he made a mistake and then chopped Bradley down as he steamed into the box was one of the worst non-cards I have seen all season and woukd have seen him sent off before half time with the subsequent Conor row.

On a related topic the Echo has a load of PL stats under the tables and it appears that in about 250 PL matches this season not a single yellow card has been issued before the 8th minute.  It appears you can maim people without rebuke as long as you do it early.

Kavanagh was abysmal yesterday...let a load of stuff go for them - jumped all over us at every opportunity.

It is bias - simple as.

• Upvote 1

Not sure who this is @sertified, but search him on the Twitter. Claims he sat next to a certain ref and his var mates and they were slagging some German bloke off. Would post the Twitter but don’t know how

8 minutes ago, AHA said:

Not sure who this is @sertified, but search him on the Twitter. Claims he sat next to a certain ref and his var mates and they were slagging some German bloke off. Would post the Twitter but don’t know how

Read from the bottom up.

IMG_1732.png