You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho’s replacement...

aRdja

If we "wait for the summer" to replace him as I suspect will happen we'll have sold him to pay for VVD and Keita, plain and simple. It already doesn't make any sense but it seems slightly logical in this light, albeit infuriating.

I think we've been sold up the river in terms of Liverpool no longer being a "sell to buy" club. Maybe even the manager's been taken in. They seem to just cover it up with a mountain of PR bullshit, but sooner or later shits gonna hit the fan.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

This from last year from one of Klopps bosses, Mike Gordon.

Speaking about last January, Gordon said: “I would regret it if we hadn’t tried to bring in additional players. But we clearly did try.

“The availability of players in the January window is continuing to diminish, it’s now an anomaly if you’re able to do something....

But showing discipline (in the transfer market) and staying true to your principles is really important, and that’s one of the reasons we didn’t add to the squad. We tried. And the same goes for all windows.

“We look for any advantage and opportunity to improve.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-co-owner-mike-13903242

i think the best we can hope for is Keita comes early. I think the most likely outcome is no signings at all in Jan, hence the block on Woodburn being loaned out.

I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, I think with both Pearce and Joyce briefing that Klopp is prepared to wait to get his targets, it sounds ominous for any January reinforcements.

Some Bundesliga journo tweeted this 2 hours ago 

@Chris78Williams

2h

2 hours ago

Leipzig are not open to letting Naby Keita leave during this window. Europa League challenges and a quest for Champions League qualification through the #Bundesliga far outweigh the departure of any key player in January. #RBL

So Keita seems a very long shot too.

Yeah, I think with both Pearce and Joyce briefing that Klopp is prepared to wait to get his targets, it sounds ominous for any January reinforcements.

@Chris78Williams

2h

2 hours ago

Leipzig are not open to letting Naby Keita leave during this window. Europa League challenges and a quest for Champions League qualification through the #Bundesliga far outweigh the departure of any key player in January. #RBL

Could we try and get Leipzig board in next summer? They sound like the business.
  • Upvote 1

@Chris78Williams

2h

2 hours ago

Sensible, shame Liverpool didn't have the same level of ambition.

• Upvote 2

If only

Liverpool refuse to countenance any offer for Phillippe Coutinho this window as it would be completely fucking insane and jeopardize both our CL chances and possible top 4 position in the league cos we won't buy any other fucker to replace him. #batshitfuckingnuts

• Upvote 2

Keita isn't coming early. Mertens and Insigne wouldn't move whilst the Scudetto is in the balance. Oblak and Alisson aren't going to move whilst their teams need them to qualify for the Champions League. Lemar isn't moving for the same reason. 

Keita isn't coming early. Mertens and Insigne wouldn't move whilst the Scudetto is in the balance. Oblak and Alisson aren't going to move whilst their teams need them to qualify for the Champions League. Lemar isn't moving for the same reason.

You don't sell your best players mid-season. It's fucking ridiculously simple. A deal for Coutinho to go in the summer would have been fine but FSG bent over, took it up the arse and gleefully accepted their money.

Utterly incompetent as we won't be replacing him.

• Upvote 1

Teams who care about winning things don't sell their best players midseason.

• Upvote 2

You don't sell your best players mid-season. It's fucking ridiculously simple. A deal for Coutinho to go in the summer would have been fine but FSG bent over, took it up the arse and gleefully accepted their money.

Utterly incompetent as we won't be replacing him.

It is so utterly incompetent and negligent that I just could not bring myself to believe that we sold him without having something else sorted. 

As soon as we agreed to the sale I though 'Ah, guess that means we've sorted a replacement then'...

But every noise coming out of the club since then is that we haven't and we're content not to. It's beyond stupidity, it's just totally unfathomable.