You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Not in how you are proposing education is dealt with.

I don't see how. Say you have 4 schools in a town, each with 1000 pupils of mixed ability. So instead, you send the 1000 brightest to 1 of the schools, and the other 3000 distributed among the other 3. And you still have 4 schools each with 1000 pupils.

You'll have to explain to me what I'm missing, because I don't see it.

EDIT: Incidentally, it would also allow better targetting of resources to those who needed extra help. When I left primary school, there were pupils at the age of 10 who couldn't read half as well as I could when I started school at 4. However you want to cut it, that is a disgraceful state of affairs. Is it any wonder that illiterate people are more likely to go to prison than university?

Guest Pistonbroke

I don't see how. Say you have 4 schools in a town, each with 1000 pupils of mixed ability. So instead, you send the 1000 brightest to 1 of the schools, and the other 3000 distributed among the other 3. And you still have 4 schools each with 1000 pupils.

You'll have to explain to me what I'm missing, because I don't see it.

How many towns have 4 schools? Cities yes, but you are then forcing parents and the children themselves to chose a school which is further away from where they live. One elite school might not be able to cover the so called intelligent children within a Town/City. Obviously the so called better schools dealing with the so called intelligent children would have all the better teachers etc etc. 

Should we put a stamp on the foreheads of those less intelligent children? Don't want any of the little blighters getting into an elite school.  

Quite. It serves neither student's best interests. Everyone should receive an education that is appropriate to them, because everyone is different

No surprise to see the "one size fits all" brigade getting their knickers in a twist over that, but screw those bell ends.

You really need to fuck off.

i agree with Stronts to be honest with you. Why should a student that’s capable of A*- A grades at GCSE and A level sit in a classroom alongside a kid that can barely read Dr Seuss?

I attended a public comprehensive and a lot of the classes were separated by ability. I also managed to scavenge a passable education, despite sharing a building with some genuine retards.

I don't think our education system is perfect, far from it, but there is plenty of scope for capable students to flourish, and go on to have hugely successful careers.

I attended a public comprehensive and a lot of the classes were separated by ability. I also managed to scavenge a passable education, despite sharing a building with some genuine retards.

I don't think our education system is perfect, far from it, but there is plenty of scope for capable students to flourish, and go on to have hugely successful careers.

Likewise. Was it by year nine? Certainly by year 10. English, Science, and Maths were all streamed, and all the humanities were picked so there were very students that didn't want to be there. C was the lowest pass mark in the top sets of these subjects.

I'm glad I went to a comp. A quite considerable amount of those that attend grammar schools and private schools turn out to be, well...like Stronts.

Guest Pistonbroke

Likewise. Was it by year nine? Certainly by year 10. English, Science, and Maths were all streamed, and all the humanities were picked so there were very students that didn't want to be there. C was the lowest pass mark in the top sets of these subjects.

I'm glad I went to a comp. A quite considerable amount of those that attend grammar schools and private schools turn out to be, well...like Stronts.

I also attended a comprehensive in the 70's and you were streamed from the off. After the first term they just moved students about depending on how they had performed. As you said earlier, "There is/was ample scope at comprehensive schools for the most able to achieve."

I also attended a comprehensive in the 70's and you were streamed from the off. After the first term they just moved students about depending on how they had performed. As you said earlier, "There is/was ample scope at comprehensive schools for the most able to achieve."

So it's okay to select by ability within one school, but not to select by ability over several schools?

Someone is going to have to explain the logic behind that to me.

Guest Pistonbroke

So it's okay to select by ability within one school, but not to select by ability over several schools?

Someone is going to have to explain the logic behind that to me.

It was done over most schools in the 70's so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I think I'll just neg you now and get the inevitable over with. 

At one time 25% of uk schools were grammar schools. That was a joke it was impossible for that many people to be above average.

My younger cousins both go to grammar schools according to their dad neither are academically excellent. He just spent a fortune on private tutors. Same with my other half; her parents spent a fortune on private lessons for her sister to help with her A- levels as she wanted to do medicine.

I did a masters overseas with some truly smart people, proper Malcolm in the middles. It was an eye opener when you are doing a course at 21-22 and have kids 3-4 years younger than you with photographic memory.

Very few people are exceptionally gifted academically. I think people exaggerate giftedness in children. There probably is a place for truly exceptional savants the ones that can take A levels at 11-12 but they are in the minority.

Anyway some impartial information.

https://fullfact.org/education/grammar-schools-and-social-mobility-whats-evidence/

Yeah, that sounds about right to me, mate. Certainly the maths and sciences were sorted into sets from an early age.

I loved my secondary education, and I feel that mixing with people from all walks of life helps ground you in reality. The selective nature of grammar school doesn't really allow for that.

I can't say whether it impinged on my ability to learn to a higher standard than I did because I have no reference to judge it by, but I managed to successfully pass all of my exams and had my pick of which university to attend, so it can't have been too detrimental.

The selective nature of grammar school doesn't really allow for that.

Nothing to do with it. The kids there know they'll be rewarded for being cruel, evil, capitalist arseholes and don't care one bit who they hurt on the way. They need fighting and killing, not understanding. Capitalism has run its course, consumed by its greed. The revolution is coming.

• Downvote 2

Yeah, that sounds about right to me, mate. Certainly the maths and sciences were sorted into sets from an early age.

I loved my secondary education, and I feel that mixing with people from all walks of life helps ground you in reality. The selective nature of grammar school doesn't really allow for that.

I can't say whether it impinged on my ability to learn to a higher standard than I did because I have no reference to judge it by, but I managed to successfully pass all of my exams and had my pick of which university to attend, so it can't have been too detrimental.

Yes, I agree with all of that. I used to play cricket at quite a high level when I was a teenager and when we all met up for county games there was only me and one other lad who went to comps. The lads from the local private schools were like something from another planet.The sort that would burn bank notes in front of the homeless, etc. Bad cunts. Kid who was in my flat at university, and actually studying the same subject, went to a grammar school in Kent. He carried a copy of Spectator everywhere with him and looked like a younger version of this nonce from Fawlty Towers -

12781.gif

Admittedly, they might not be entirely reflective.

Quite enjoyed helping people that were shitter at some subjects, and likewise receiving help from students who excelled in stuff I was shit at. More sense of co-operation, less sense of individual competition. 

I also got high grades at GCSE at stuff I gave a fuck about, then at A-Level I no longer had to study anything I didn't give a fuck about, and got decent grades in them as well. I possibly could have done marginally better if I'd worked harder, but it had very little to do with the standard of education. Or the ability of my peers.

Society is Thatchered up enough as it is, can you imagine if all schools were completely ability based? Scary the magnitude of cuntery that would be produced.

• Upvote 1

It was done over most schools in the 70's so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. I think I'll just neg you now and get the inevitable over with.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you were arguing against grammar schools. I was asking what the difference is between placing pupils of different ability in different classes within the same school, which you seem to support, and placing pupils of different ability in different classes in different schools.

Not sure why you negged me as I thought it was a productive exchange.

My word, is Stronts really suggesting the education system is a meritocracy?

Was I? No, obviously not.

Though to listen to some folks, you'd think I was suggesting that low achievers should be turned into compost.

Guest Pistonbroke

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you were arguing against grammar schools. I was asking what the difference is between placing pupils of different ability in different classes within the same school, which you seem to support, and placing pupils of different ability in different classes in different schools.

Not sure why you negged me as I thought it was a productive exchange.

You are still not getting the point. It was done in the majority of schools as I said, you are wanting it done in a minority of schools. Anyway, done debating this with you. 

I loved my secondary education, and I feel that mixing with people from all walks of life helps ground you in reality.

Considering some of the feral types in my old primary school, I think they would be more likely to put you in the ground than to ground you.

Anyway, what is to be gained by mixing with those of sub average intelligence? If you want to converse with something that is barely cognisant, buy a goldfish. They're cheaper, and less likely to turn out like Mick Philpott.

• Downvote 1

Nothing to do with it. The kids there know they'll be rewarded for being cruel, evil, capitalist arseholes and don't care one bit who they hurt on the way. They need fighting and killing, not understanding. Capitalism has run its course, consumed by its greed. The revolution is coming.

Hades and his fat bottomed army are poised to strike!