You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

Bjornebye

This. The stoke match away sticks out for me. after the match Rafa made a comment along the lines of "its important to win but its more important not to lose"

The draws that season killed us we didn't take the handbrake off that season until the final run in and at that stage it was too late. The mancs having Ronaldo shooting the lights out helped their cause.

A point away at Stoke was OK at that time. They got most of their scores at home and Torres was unfit so only came on that day.

The draws at at home were a bollox. Also the lack of cover at full back was a disaster. Skrtel getting roasted by Downing when Carra refused to play RB v a relegated Boro was a killer and gave us too much to do when the shackles came off.

Anyway, Torres and Gerrard come in 4th or 5th on my list of attacking partnerships I've witnessed at Anfield.  Keegan/Toshack, Dalglish/Rush, Owen/Fowler, Suarez/Sturridge.  

The first three of those partnerships actually won stuff, and the last was prolific as fuck.

Fowler + Collymore > Fowler+Owen.

Fowler + x > Fowler + Owen

Fowler > Fowler + Owen

I think that was more down to Fowler being at the peak of his form and absolutely unbelievable rather than the fit of the partnership.

Agreed. I don't think any of our strike partnership have been especially good since the days of Beardsley and Aldridge, we've always tended to rely on one star.

I reckon Shearer and Ferdinand is probably the best I've seen in the premier league era.

Shearer and Sutton was better, I thought.

Collymore was poor, but Fowler was superb.  Unequal partnership.  Sutton was a great player for that one season.  A centre half at Norwich if I remember correctly.  Amazing to say it, but for that one season it was an equal partnership, which really is something.

Agreed. I don't think any of our strike partnership have been especially good since the days of Beardsley and Aldridge, we've always tended to rely on one star.

I reckon Shearer and Ferdinand is probably the best I've seen in the premier league era.

Suarez and Sturridge surely was one of the best to have ever played in the Premier League era... Not many partnerships would have outscored them.

• Upvote 1

Shearer and Ferdinand is the best, but Suarez and Sturridge or Gerrard and Torres no good?

Suarez and Sturridge surely was one of the best to have ever played in the Premier League era... Not many partnerships would have outscored them.

Shearer and Ferdinand is the best, but Suarez and Sturridge or Gerrard and Torres no good?

I don't think Sturridge and Suarez played together long enough to be classed as being up there with the best partnerships, although they certainly had potential. Also, they were both quite selfish at times, which is no bad thing, but I think the best partnerships work together for their goals and very often one is the 'star' goalscorer. Can't beat seeing a big man head the ball down to the penalty box poacher and him put it away, it's almost sexual.  

I wouldn't have Gerrard and Torres as a strike partnership, much the same as I wouldn't have Zidane and Del Piero as one, they were both incredible midfield/striking partnerships though.

I dunno, there was a time under Rafa when Gerrard was basically an auxiliary striker, and that telepathic understanding they had around the penalty area was a joy to behold.

It's hard to knock shearer, it really is, but give me Suarez ahead of him every day of the week. I think his game was complimented near perfectly by sturridge's pace, trickery and finishing ability, and they absolutely destroyed defences practically every week for that entire season. It's a damn shame that partnership was so short lived.

I dunno, there was a time under Rafa when Gerrard was basically an auxiliary striker, and that telepathic understanding they had around the penalty area was a joy to behold.

It's hard to knock shearer, it really is, but give me Suarez ahead of him every day of the week. I think his game was complimented near perfectly by sturridge's pace, trickery and finishing ability, and they absolutely destroyed defences practically every week for that entire season. It's a damn shame that partnership was so short lived.

I think Torres and Suarez together would have been absolutely unreal. 

Torres, Suarez, Gerrrd, Alonso and the Chief. footballing Jackson five right there. 

Yes exactly, its not like they found each other blindfolded, tho they did assist one another nicely at times. But they complemented each other supremely well. Tho Suarez must be the easiest forward to play with. He does it all, and he works harder than anyone else.

They scored 53 goals between them, and so very nearly won us the title, despite our midfield and our defense being somewhat shite. I cant remember another forward pairing absolutely carrying a team like that.

I don't think Sturridge and Suarez played together long enough to be classed as being up there with the best partnerships, although they certainly had potential. Also, they were both quite selfish at times, which is no bad thing, but I think the best partnerships work together for their goals and very often one is the 'star' goalscorer. Can't beat seeing a big man head the ball down to the penalty box poacher and him put it away, it's almost sexual.

I wouldn't have Gerrard and Torres as a strike partnership, much the same as I wouldn't have Zidane and Del Piero as one, they were both incredible midfield/striking partnerships though.

Ferdinand and Shearer played together even less in the premier league than Suarez and Sturridge. Odd that you'd have them as above them.

• 2 years later...